Re: Question About "Yearly" AV Subscriptions

R.Wieser

Jul 13, 2021, 2:57:11 AM7/13/21
Merle,

> Does this yearly subscription stuff by AV companies mean you
> lose the ability to update the virus database after your "subscription"
> expires, or does it mean that you simply cannot update the program
> after a year. but still can update the virus database?

After the subscription ends its more than likely you can neither update the
program nor the virus database.

Both the program itself and the virus database cost money to maintain.
Costs that need to be payed by the customers, otherwise the company will
ultimatily go under due to a lack of funds.

Than again, each AV company may offer you their own deals, depending on how
much money you wish to spend on your subscription. IOW, there is no single
answer to be given here.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Jul 13, 2021, 7:06:21 AM7/13/21
On Tue, 13 Jul 2021 at 08:56:58, R.Wieser <add...@not.available> wrote
(my responses usually follow points raised):
Indeed; it will vary from program to program.

A lot of software, when it reaches the end of the trial period, reverts
to the more limited free version; whether that applies to one where
you've actually paid for it, or whether AV software generally does this,
I don't know.

Was this just a general question, or do you have a specific AV suite in
mind? If you do, and have paid for it, which one, and why did you pay?
(I'm not saying you shouldn't, just curious.)

Never rely on somebody else for your happiness.
- Bette Davis, quoted by Celia Imrie, RT 2014/3/12-18

Mayayana

Jul 13, 2021, 8:19:00 AM7/13/21
<Me...@invalid.com> wrote

| I cannot understand why I cannot get a clear answer to this question
| in any group to which I posted it.

Did you check the companies? If you do I expect
you'll find that it's not easy to answer your question.
Usually it's not easy to even find the free versions.
They run you in circles with bait and switch, deceptive
notices like "free download!", etc. It's worse than car
salesmen.
Increasingly, it's not easy to have any part in managing
software. Once you give them your credit card they just
do their thing and you accept it.

I was once using free Avast, which I installed on a friend's
computer, when it told me there was an update available. The
"update" turned out to be the paid version. I had to uninstall it
and start over. That kind of sleaze is typical. It helps them to
trick or mislead 95% of customers.

Generally their business model is to provide basic protection for
free, but with lots of tricks and nags. They make their money
by charging companies. As a non-commercial customer you pay
for the extras, if you want them, but those are usually not
necessary... At least that was how it worked last time I looked.

Personally I haven't used AV for about 20 years and wouldn't
allow such bloated crap on my system. Nor would I accept
rental software. But I do install free AV for
friends who don't know how to protect their systems. If you
want to use it, and you're going to accept the rental software,
then you get what they give you. There's no sense getting mad
at other people because they don't know how to help you cheat
the system. And what does it matter, anyway? If you can't get
virus definition updates then what good is the software? AV is
used by people who believe in the theory that a computer with
daily AV updates, dragging under the weight of hyper-bloated AV
software running 300 MB of definition filters, is a safe computer. :)

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Jul 13, 2021, 8:20:46 AM7/13/21
On Tue, 13 Jul 2021 at 06:52:36, Me...@invalid.com wrote (my responses
usually follow points raised):
>On Tue, 13 Jul 2021 08:56:58 +0200, "R.Wieser" <add...@not.available>
>wrote:
>
>>Merle,
>>
>>> Does this yearly subscription stuff by AV companies mean you
>>> lose the ability to update the virus database after your "subscription"
>>> expires, or does it mean that you simply cannot update the program
>>> after a year. but still can update the virus database?
>
>I cannot understand why I cannot get a clear answer to this question
>in any group to which I posted it.

Because you didn't say which AV suite you're talking about. It may vary
between companies; most people reading your question will only have
experience of one or two, especially the paid version.

>There MUST people reading it who have the paid-for versions of these
>AVs and know the simple, definitive answer to the question.

If so, only one or two. You phrased your question in general terms, by
saying "AV companies".

>>After the subscription ends its more than likely you can neither update the
>>program nor the virus database.
>
>"Likely" does not answer the question.

It's the best Rudy (or anyone) can do given the question.
I've never had a paid one. IME, even the free ones update both the prog.
and the database update frequently; AIUI, paying users sometimes get
updates a few hours earlier (which could be important!), and get more
versatile/flexible software.

>>Both the program itself and the virus database cost money to maintain.
>>Costs that need to be payed by the customers, otherwise the company will
>>ultimatily go under due to a lack of funds.
>
>Gee, why didn't I think of that.

Keep up that attitude, and you'll find fewer people willing to give you
their time - for free, remember.

>>Than again, each AV company may offer you their own deals, depending on how
>>much money you wish to spend on your subscription. IOW, there is no single
>>answer to be given here.
>
>There certainly is. All it takes it for one of the millions who are
>AV subscribers to answer the question.

No. It would have to be someone who has paid subscriptions to all
possible AV sources, or at least a majority of the common ones; I doubt
any such person exists, other than perhaps a magazine journalist doing a
feature on AVs or similar, who is not going to post his answer here -
they'll want you to read their article in the magazine (real or online).

If you ask about a _specific_ AV, you'll probably get an answer (though
perhaps not after the above: usenetters are easily induced to start
ignoring you - I know from experience).

>>Regards,
>>Rudy Wieser

Veni, Vidi, Video (I came, I saw, I'll watch it again later) - Mik from S+AS
Limited (m...@saslimited.demon.co.uk), 1998

R.Wieser

Jul 13, 2021, 9:11:51 AM7/13/21
Merle,

> I cannot understand why I cannot get a clear answer to this
> question in any group to which I posted it.
>
> There MUST people reading it who have the paid-for versions of these
> AVs and know the simple, definitive answer to the question.

I on my end cannot fathom why you think that a single definitive answer is
even possible to your question.

Question: What is the price of a new car ? If you cannot answer that, why
? Don't you think the same goes for AV products ?

>>Both the program itself and the virus database cost money to maintain.
>>Costs that need to be payed by the customers, otherwise the company will
>>ultimatily go under due to a lack of funds.
>
> Gee, why didn't I think of that.

If you are aware of that, than how come you think you can just continue to
use for free what you where paying for in the last subscription period ?
That doesn't make much (commercial) sense, now does it ?

> There certainly is.

No there isn't.

> All it takes it for one of the millions who are AV subscribers to
> answer the question.

No. You than just have the answer to *their* specific AV product.

The moment someone using a different AV product (possibly even from the same
company!) also responds you will probably go into a kind of brain-freeze, as
that violates your "simple, definitive answer" requirement/demand. Rinse
and repeat for all the other AV products out there.

Goodbye.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Mayayana

Jul 13, 2021, 10:53:38 AM7/13/21
<Me...@invalid.com> wrote

| I cannot believe that people who pay the outrageous sums wanted today
| for a "top" AV do not know what the hey they are buying. But it must
| be so, otherwise someone would have given me a definitive answer by
| now.

I don't think most people have any idea how to start to
understand. The rental model makes it worse. Lots of people
feel they just have to have Office 365 or Adobe CS, for work
or school. There isn't much choice. You just give them your
credit card. And it's worse if you don't understand how it works.
If you don't download copies of all your files in standard formats
then you might lose them all if you end the subscription, for
example.

My very elderly father got mad a few years ago when he
bought a new computer and understood that it came with
MS Office and Norton System Works. After all, their logo
stickers were right there on the front of the computer. But
after 3 months they wanted him to pay. It was only a 3
month trials to get him hooked. I imagine lots of people fall
for that. They don't even understand what version of Windows
they're using, so it doesn't occur to them that a computer
with pre-installed MS Office might just be a scam ad.

Just as lots of people fall for Comcast or Verizon
advertising $99.99 in big type, with loads of small print that
I can't even read with my glasses on. When you do manage
to read it, it turns out that there's actually no way to determine
the actual cost of the "special deal", which will expire after
a year, anyway. But people want their Internet and cable TV.
And regulators have gone missing. I found the same with
cellphone plans. Not one provider was willing to tell me what the
actual bill would say after adding in all the trumped up taxes,
fees, and non-included services.

| I did find one freebie that is simple as hell, and seemingly works
| without trying to take control of your whole machine with their
| invasive nonsense. The simple freebie I found it AVZ by Kaspersky.
| All it does is the simple stuff AVs used to do years ago.

I've also used free, portable versions before, for one-time checks.

| I'm going to try to do the
impossible and get an answer on this from a couple of the companies

I'd be interested to hear the results of you investigation... and
whether you have to give them a credit card before they'll answer...
"You can cancel at any time." :)

Mayayana

Jul 13, 2021, 10:55:32 AM7/13/21
"J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6...@255soft.uk> wrote

| >I cannot understand why I cannot get a clear answer to this question
| >in any group to which I posted it.
|
| Because you didn't say which AV suite you're talking about. It may vary
| between companies; most people reading your question will only have
| experience of one or two, especially the paid version.

I took it as a general question and it made sense that way.
I suspect they're probably doing doing pretty much the same
thing.

😉 Good Guy 😉

Jul 13, 2021, 2:38:46 PM7/13/21
On 13/07/2021 00:14, Me...@invalid.com wrote:
Does this yearly subscription stuff by AV companies mean you lose the
ability to update the virus database after your "subscription"
expires, or does it mean that you simply cannot update the program
after a year. but still can update the virus database?

Yes if the subscription is not renewed then you don't get any updates for virus signatures. The cost charged is for the signature files because that is what is costly to create because you need some monkey to sit in front a computer and write something. The actual APP is done once and there is no need to update it regularly so it costs nothing to them.

I'm asking this here because the virus/security groups seem to be dead
these days.

Well to provide a service requires manpower and it costs money so I'm not surprised it is dead. In any case these days people don't need support for Apps because they are almost identical and people just know how to use them and most people have common sense anyway. What is the free education for in most civilised countries?

Why do you need signature files for your secure system like Windows-XP? It is quite secure and nothing will make it any more secure than what it currently is. XP still runs on old hardware and the lifespan of them is finite. One day you'll need to buy a new machine if you want to continue using a computer or you can simply decide that's it. You don't want anything to do with computers and live a very simple life that is less stressful. Taliban fighters are enjoying themselves and now they have Afghanistan for them exclusively! What more do they want? They don't even need electric shavers.

--

With over 1.3 billion devices now running Windows 10, customer satisfaction is higher than any previous version of windows.

Mayayana

Jul 13, 2021, 9:27:07 PM7/13/21
<Me...@invalid.com> wrote

| As far as I'm concerned, these AV guys today are little more than
| crooks. It seems the program itself is history after expiration. You
| cannot keep using it with a previously downloaded virus database -
| which you PAID for.
|
| I'll stay with my freebie sandbox. Even a paid-for sandbox is a
| better deal by far than squandering bucks every year on this modern AV
| crap - which itself is a hundred times more vulnerable than s freebie
| sandbox. People get infected every day with those junk AVs. Plus most
| of them are invasive as hell. They want to interfere with perfectly
| good programs.
|
| The search for an answer to my question is done as far as I'm
| concerned.

Well, it was sort of useful. Now we all know to try Kaspersky
first if we look for free AV.

Paul

Jul 14, 2021, 10:11:21 AM7/14/21
Me...@invalid.com wrote:

> Panda Dome did give me a problem that I didn't mention. LIke so many
> of these dang new AVs, it doesn't want to be uninstalled.
>
> I beat it by the fact I had saved a copy of the registry before I
> installed Panda. When it gave me uninstall problems I merely loaded
> in the pre Panda registry copy and rebooted. With its "legs" cut out
> from under it, Panda was easily deleted like any other file.
>
> That Erunt registry saver is one of the handiest of utilities.
>
> Now, are we done with this nonsense? I hope so. :o)

https://www.pandasecurity.com/en/support/card?id=82011

"Download and run the Panda Generic Uninstaller file
to the Windows Desktop, for example.

https://www.pandasecurity.com/resources/tools/uninstaller.exe
"

It can take three or four Google searches to find items
like that, because the company may already have used
the word "Cleaner" to sell one of their products :-)

Usually for the uninstaller concept, there are two possibilities.

1) Uninstaller does absolutely everything for you, destroying
a working product that is still running at the moment.

2) The other style, says to use "Programs and Features" first,
to remove the AV program the regular way. Then when you run
the "uninstaller" thing as a separate download, it does things
like scan the registry for the company name, and throw out
all the references it finds. That's why the word "Generic"
appears in some of them, because the uninstaller doesn't know
what it is cleaning up after, but the company has some standards
for registry entries, that makes them easier to remove later.

In the case of (2) type, not following the instructions correctly,
has consequences ("makes a mess of things"). For type (2), you need
a backup before you begin. A full C: partition backup.

Paul

Boris

Jul 23, 2021, 2:05:53 PM7/23/21
"Mayayana" <maya...@invalid.nospam> wrote in news:sck9dd$jbt$1@dont-
email.me:
+1

I have Comcast at three locations. I've let the original contracted for
plan expire so that I'm not on conract. They keep wanting to sell me
more, on a new contract, than what I need, for less than I'm paying for
now, but when I question them about the fine print, they have no idea
what the 'real' new cost will be. I'd rather deal with the devil I know.

Same thing with my ATT mobile; there's four phones, all off contract.

My daughter just left ATT (no reception at her new location) for Verizon.
She took advantage of an offer to trade in her ATT iPhone (all paid for)
for a $300 credit on a new Verizon phone and unlimited data, without a
contract. I'll believe that when I see it. She was told by one agent
that this was the last day the offer was being made, so she signed up.
She later found out the offer was still ongoing. When she got her new
phone home, she found out they had not set it up correctly. She could
only make calls using wifi. Wonder what the plan and phone will really
cost.

Very sleazy and deceptive. Yes, regulators are missing.