Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service is terminated Unexpectedly

44 views
Skip to first unread message

Rainy

unread,
Sep 6, 2009, 5:10:50 PM9/6/09
to
I have had this warning a few times.. and thought it might just go away.. I
don't think so :) .. appreciate some help...

This system is shutting down. Please save all work in progress and log off
any unsaved changes will be lost. This shutdown was initiated by Nt
Authority\system

Windows must now restart because the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service is
terminated unexpectedly

Windows XP Home


I did some research and some website told me to go to services, and find
remote procedure Call (RPC)/ Recover, and change the shutdown to Take No
Action in three places.. but that appears to be a bandaid on a broken arm :)
What is causing this please... Thanks, Rainy


Ǝиçεl

unread,
Sep 6, 2009, 5:41:01 PM9/6/09
to
It would be a good idea to scan

Restart the machine in safe mode with networking. Go to safety.live.com and
do a full scan. <http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm>


I recommend downloading and installing
MalwareBytes' Antimalware (MBAM) and
SUPERAntiSpywaяe (SAS).

Do a full scan with MalwaяeBytes' and
SUPERAntiSpywaяe.

<http://www.superantispyware.com/>

Reboot
-=-

<http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php>
Reboot
-=-
The programs are free. (There is a paid version but
you don't need to buy it to remove malware.)
-=-


Ǝиçεl
◕‿◕
-=-

Rainy

unread,
Sep 6, 2009, 6:13:17 PM9/6/09
to
is that the only reason remote procedure call service is terminated? I just
did scan with AVG.. nothing came up.. will scan in safe mode.. thanks..
Rainy
"??�?l" <l...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:968FEAE5-00B5-4556...@microsoft.com...

> It would be a good idea to scan
>
> Restart the machine in safe mode with networking. Go to safety.live.com
> and
> do a full scan. <http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm>
>
>
> I recommend downloading and installing
> MalwareBytes' Antimalware (MBAM) and
> SUPERAntiSpywa?e (SAS).
>
> Do a full scan with Malwa?eBytes' and
> SUPERAntiSpywa?e.

>
> <http://www.superantispyware.com/>
>
> Reboot
> -=-
>
> <http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php>
> Reboot
> -=-
> The programs are free. (There is a paid version but
> you don't need to buy it to remove malware.)
> -=-
>
>
> ??�?l
> ???

Rainy

unread,
Sep 7, 2009, 12:05:25 PM9/7/09
to

"??�?l" <l...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:968FEAE5-00B5-4556...@microsoft.com...
> It would be a good idea to scan
>
> Restart the machine in safe mode with networking. Go to safety.live.com
> and
> do a full scan. <http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm>
>
>
> I recommend downloading and installing
> MalwareBytes' Antimalware (MBAM) and
> SUPERAntiSpywa?e (SAS).
>
> Do a full scan with Malwa?eBytes' and
> SUPERAntiSpywa?e.

>
> <http://www.superantispyware.com/>
>
> Reboot
> -=-
>
> <http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php>
> Reboot
> -=-
> The programs are free. (There is a paid version but
> you don't need to buy it to remove malware.)
> -=-
>
>
> ??�?l
> ???

> -=-
> "Rainy" wrote:
>
>> I have had this warning a few times.. and thought it might just go away..
>> I
>> don't think so :) .. appreciate some help...
>>
>> This system is shutting down. Please save all work in progress and log
>> off
>> any unsaved changes will be lost. This shutdown was initiated by Nt
>> Authority\system
>>
>> Windows must now restart because the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service
>> is
>> terminated unexpectedly
>>
>> Windows XP Home
>>
>>
>> I did some research and some website told me to go to services, and find
>> remote procedure Call (RPC)/ Recover, and change the shutdown to Take No
>> Action in three places.. but that appears to be a bandaid on a broken arm
>> :)
>> What is causing this please... Thanks, Rainy
>>
>>
>>
first thing I did was go to safe mode but used my old faithful antivirus AVG
but it didn't find anything! :) then went back to safemode with networking
to use what you suggested but couldn't do it in safemode, they wanted to
download a program and some tools. They did find a few things.. didn't tell
me what it was.. I suspect it was trojans, or adware...The whole procedure
took 10 hours to finish! They fixed everything but one, didn't tell me
what it was.. or what anything was they found.. it seemed to be very
thorough but the lack of information wasn't a good thing.. so whatever it
found may or may not have fixed the problem.. I still wanted to know is
vermin the only reason the Remote Procedure Call service is terminated and
your computer shuts down???? Did what I do fix the problem? Rainy


Rainy

unread,
Sep 8, 2009, 5:32:44 AM9/8/09
to

"Rainy" <love_...@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:%23F6h5cz...@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...

I followed the advice of the person who tried to help but still am having
the problem, I would appreciate more help, If you know something, please
don't hesitate to jump in..::) I know there are some amazing techs in this
group.. don't fail me now.. :) please. Rainy


Elmo

unread,
Sep 8, 2009, 1:43:09 PM9/8/09
to

Burn BitDefender, or another program listed at the link below, to a CD
(using a working machine) and test the infected machine with it.
BitDefender also has a Rootkit checker on the Linux Desktop; run it if
you think that's the problem. No _detected_ malware can circumvent this
method of removal:

http://www.techmixer.com/free-bootable-antivirus-rescue-cds-download-list/

Download the executable rather than the .iso image, if one is
available.. it prompts you to insert a CD and burns the file, no
problem. BitDefender only has an .iso so you need to "Burn" the image,
not copy the file to a CD.

Then run these:

Malwarebytes© Corporation
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam/program/mbam-setup.exe

SuperAntispyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

--
Joe =o)

Rainy

unread,
Sep 8, 2009, 9:03:11 PM9/8/09
to

"Elmo" <elmo...@xxx.invalid> wrote in message
news:OquqdvK...@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...

http://www.techmixer.com/free-bootable-antivirus-rescue-cds-download-list/

Then run these:

Malwarebytes� Corporation
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam/program/mbam-setup.exe

SuperAntispyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

--
Joe =o)

I ended up repairing the operating system.. that is to say after I ran every
program I could think of and that was suggested to me to try.. My computer
works ok.. but can't browse.. both IE and firefox freeze.. God I don't want
to format! By the way, nothing was found but some minimal tracking cookies
and a couple of adware.. I can't imagine what is causing all the problems..I
already ran both of these... from the other guy who responded. I wonder why
his email is gone.. ) I ran AVG, Spybot S & D, Adaware S E, also
Superantispyware. I can't get online.. I am also having problems with my
Zwire which is being replaced.. so I will have to wait to see if I can get
online to finish scanning. Really sounds like the zwire is causing the
problem but I don't know.. thanks for the help.. hugs Rainy


Elmo

unread,
Sep 8, 2009, 9:55:33 PM9/8/09
to

I ended up repairing the operating system.. that is to say after I ran


every program I could think of and that was suggested to me to try.. My
computer works ok.. but can't browse.. both IE and firefox freeze.. God
I don't want to format! By the way, nothing was found but some minimal
tracking cookies and a couple of adware.. I can't imagine what is
causing all the problems..I already ran both of these... from the other
guy who responded. I wonder why his email is gone.. ) I ran AVG,
Spybot S & D, Adaware S E, also Superantispyware. I can't get online..
I am also having problems with my Zwire which is being replaced.. so I
will have to wait to see if I can get online to finish scanning. Really
sounds like the zwire is causing the problem but I don't know.. thanks
for the help.. hugs Rainy

Here are a few things to try, to get back online:

Open Internet Options, Connections tab, click "Lan Settings" button,
deselect all.

Flush DNS

Click Start, Run, type CMD and click the [OK] button. Type each of the
following:

IPConfig /FlushDNS [Press Enter key]
ipconfig /release [Press Enter key]
ipconfig /renew [Press Enter key]
ipconfig /registerdns [Press Enter key]

NETSH

Click Start, Run, type CMD and click the [OK] button. Type the following:

netsh winsock reset

Press Enter key

Restart the system

You can also try this software download from a working machine:

LSP-Fix
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

--
Joe =o)

Kelly

unread,
Sep 9, 2009, 1:41:52 AM9/9/09
to
That is an old method, seems it has become alive again!

Purchase a new hard drive (if older - order online) from there, clean format
and install. Slave your old one and carry on from there.

If you can still boot from the old one, go to Start/Run and type in:


--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP/DTS&XP)

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm


"Rainy" <love_...@comcast.net> wrote in message

news:OujpslO...@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages