ACPI > Standard PC mode

Leif Jakobsen

Jan 8, 2002, 6:41:06 AM1/8/02
I need to install win xp pro as Standard-PC mode instead of ACPI because of
problems with shared IRQ, which causes conflict with some of my
musicprograms.

How do I install win xp pro as Standard-PC mode? (I don't mean change to
Standard PC mode AFTER installation of win xp)

Greetings
Leif Jakobsen

Dmitry Kulakov

Jan 8, 2002, 7:19:41 AM1/8/02
> How do I install win xp pro as Standard-PC mode? (I don't mean change to
> Standard PC mode AFTER installation of win xp)

Disable ACPI in BIOS, then install XP.

sclozza

Jan 8, 2002, 7:25:47 AM1/8/02
Boot from the CD
Spam F5 til a menu pops up. select the option.
Hit enter.

"Leif Jakobsen" <le...@leifjakobsen.dk> wrote in message

Leif Jakobsen

Jan 8, 2002, 7:29:48 AM1/8/02
Yes, but I can't find ACPI in BIOS. Where is it supposed to be?

"Dmitry Kulakov" <dkul...@iname.com> skrev i en meddelelse

Robert Koenn

Jan 8, 2002, 7:47:24 AM1/8/02
It is in the Power savings, energy savings, or whatever page. The first or
second menu item in the BIOS settings on that page usually shows what type
of Power management is being used. You will have to reinstall WinXP for it
to take effect. There is apparently some low level OS file, like the
kernel, that gets installed during setup depending on this BIOS setting. It
cannot be changed after the install. Good luck. I have built some systems
with lots of add on cards and so far have had pretty good luck with XPs IRQ
managment.

"Leif Jakobsen" <le...@leifjakobsen.dk> wrote in message

Stefan T

Jan 8, 2002, 10:23:02 AM1/8/02
You can change it even after XP is installed. Go to Hardware-> Device
manager, expand Computer. It will show up as ACPI. Right click, select
properties, go to driver page and click update driver. From the list, select
Standard PC. Then reboot. This will install new version of the kernel and
when you boot for the first time, all drivers will have to be reinstalled.

Stefan

Johnny Nine

Jan 8, 2002, 10:33:33 AM1/8/02
I clipped this from the knowledge base...
To select a HAL during Setup:
1.. During the first phase of Setup, at the Setup is inspecting your
computer's hardware configuration screen, press the F5 key.

2.. Click the appropriate HAL, or click Other to specify a third-party
HAL. The available HALs include:

a.. ACPI Multiprocessor PC
b.. ACPI Uniprocessor PC
c.. Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC
d.. Compaq SystemPro Multiprocessor or 100% Compatible
e.. MPS Uniprocessor PC
f.. MPS Multiprocessor PC
g.. Standard PC
h.. Standard PC with C-Step i486
i.. Other

3.. Continue with Setup to complete the installation.

Asatru

Jan 11, 2002, 1:30:55 AM1/11/02
this has to do with an enabled setting in your BIOS, you may want to , if
you are familiar with the settings, disable Advanced Power Management, ACPI,
APM, etc in the bios.
usually you have to disable the FUNCTION in advanced power managment setup ,
and also disable the APM DEVICE itself.
im assuming that you are using a basic Award/AMI BIOS, and basically the
BIOS settings are incredibly clear and simple to understand.

I am an OEM sys builder, and we have lots of APM issues with different
system configurations.
any further questions ashould be mailed to st...@n2danger.com
hope this helps!!