youtube-dl replacement for XP

Mayayana

Oct 2, 2021, 9:29:59 AM10/2/21
Any ideas? Youtube-dl is apparently not being
updated anymore. I found a fork named yt-dlp but I
get an error from it. A function not found in msvcrt.dll.
That's odd, because msvcrt.dll is the VC++ 6 runtime.
But I suspect the problem is the included Python. The
trouble is that the Win32 version of yt-dlp for
Windows is precompiled with Python. Maybe there's
a way to get the EXE and install a separate Python.
I don't know. I'm hoping someone else knows more than I do.

Shadow

Oct 2, 2021, 10:41:41 AM10/2/21
I noticed it hasn't been updated in almost 4 months, but it
still works on all the sites I've used it on in that time.
The author is still present, but busy with something else.

yt-dlp is deliberately compiled to NOT work on XP. A trend
with almost all Github projects.

Mine errors out with a _wputenv_s error in msvcrt.dll.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/c-runtime-library/reference/putenv-s-wputenv-s?view=msvc-160

Wonder why? (sarcasm)
It'll probably be Win 11-only very soon.
Well, there's always the Linux versions.

And someone might compile it so it continues to work. I'm
still using the latest FFmpeg on this PC thanks to people that care.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

Mayayana

Oct 2, 2021, 11:11:41 AM10/2/21
"Shadow" <S...@dow.br> wrote

| I noticed it hasn't been updated in almost 4 months, but it
| still works on all the sites I've used it on in that time.
| The author is still present, but busy with something else.

I may have found false info, but from what I'm finding
people see to be saying that the youtube-dl author is
dropping the project. I also read that Python no longer
supports XP. If I remember correctly the last version to
support XP was 3.4. So it makes sense that it wouldn't
work with XP unless the author specifically targets XP.

I don't understand how Python gets compiled in. This
is one of the problems with making high-level programs
that try to be "cross-platform" but are really just bloated
wrappers around cross-platform runtimes and frameworks.

I might be willing to put together an XP version myself
if I can figure out the details. But it's a steep learning
curve. I don't know anything of Python and I'm guessing
the source code offered is probably 64-bit.

G.F.

Oct 23, 2021, 4:21:30 PM10/23/21
"Mayayana" <maya...@invalid.nospam> ha scritto nel messaggio
> "Shadow" <S...@dow.br> wrote

> the youtube-dl author is dropping the project

It's strange as, if I remember correctly, I read instead that the VLC player
is going to use Youtube-dl.

GF

Mayayana

Oct 23, 2021, 9:46:12 PM10/23/21
"G.F." <nos...@grazie.it> wrote

| > the youtube-dl author is dropping the project
|
| It's strange as, if I remember correctly, I read instead that the VLC
player
| is going to use Youtube-dl.

Even more strange: There's been no change to the
youtbute-dl.org website. No notification that it's going
out of support. So I'm not assuming anything at this
point.

Ant

Oct 23, 2021, 11:33:44 PM10/23/21
Try youtube-dl that is a fork and being updated?
--
Doyers! :/ Being old sucks. :(
| |o o| |