Shutting Down Train Sim 1.02, WinXP Pro SP1

Wayne Morgan

Feb 7, 2004, 6:37:25 PM2/7/04
When shutting down Train Simulator, if the user doesn't have Administrative
privilages on the computer when exiting the game, the game appears to shut
down but leaves a full screen blank window behind that has Train Simulator
in the title bar. I have to press the Window key on the keyboard to make the
Task Bar visible then right click the task bar icon for the window and
choose close. This will force the window to close. I've tried giving the
Users group Full Permissions on the folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games
and its subfolders and files. This hasn't helped. Are there any other
folders or registry settings used by this game that I might need to adjust
permissions on? Is there another fix for this?

--
Wayne Morgan
MS Access MVP

Jimmy S.

Feb 8, 2004, 8:43:15 AM2/8/04
Hi Wayne,

Registry settings for Microsoft Games are usually found in these locations:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\ *and*
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games

Some games will work with limited accounts after they have been installed and
run once either using an administrator account, or by temporarily changing the
limited user account(s) to an admin account in Control Panel / User Accounts,
just for the purpose of running the game the first time in order to be able to
install the necessary files and create the keys in the registry that it needs to
function, but may not be able to due to the restrictive nature of limited accounts.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, here's the XP MVP workaround. ;-)

1. Click Start / Control Panel / User Accounts / Create a New Account /
Name the Account: "able2play" (without quotes) / Next Pick: "Computer-
Administrator" & Click "Create Account";

2. Click on your new able2play account and Create a Password for it;

3. When your limited user wants to play a game that requires Administrator
privileges they can Right-Click the shortcut to that game / Click Run As... /
"The Following User": able2play and enter the password. Simple as that!

I know what you're thinking: That defeats the purpose of the limited user account.
To secure the "able2play" account so that it can't be used to logon to the computer:

What I do is add a shortcut to the windows logoff routine into the RUN key of the
able2play registry. I made a reg patch to simplify this process if you wish to use it:

4. Logon to the "able2play" account,

5. <ONLY RUN THIS PATCH USING THE "ABLE2PLAY" ACCOUNT>
Save this patch to your drive and then doubleclick it to install it to your registry.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/nibblesnbits/OnlyRunUsingAble2PlayAccount.reg

or

*Instead of using the reg patch, click Start / Run / regedt32 / browse to:
[HKCU\SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run] and
Click Edit / New / String value / ValueName: logoff / Value data: logoff

From now on, if anyone logs on with the "able2play" account, the computer will log
them off immediately. They will not gain access to an administrators desktop! :-)

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Wayne Morgan

Feb 8, 2004, 6:47:16 PM2/8/04
Thanks Jimmy,

I'll try running the program once to see if that helps, then try the
registry keys. The patch sounds interesting, I'll have to take a look at it.

--
Wayne Morgan
Microsoft Access MVP

"Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message