Gradient Color 2 for Active Title Bar is unselectable.

Daniel Garcia

Dec 31, 2002, 10:50:37 PM12/31/02
After installing a performance enhancement program, my display setting
for the "Active title bar", "color 2", was removed. Can anyone tell me
how to enable it? I tried to undo what the shareware changed, but this
one setting I was unable to reset. I've tried all the settings in the
System Performance dialogue boxes but "color 2" still remains grayed
out. I know it's a registry setting but I don't know how to find that
particular setting or change it back. Please help. Many thanks in advance.

Sharon F

Jan 1, 2003, 1:13:15 AM1/1/03

In previous versions of Windows this setting was only available if using 16
bit color or better for for Display> Settings> Color Quality. May also want
to try restoring one of the default themes to see if that will return both
choices.
--
Sharon F
Microsoft MVP, Windows - Shell/User

Daniel Garcia

Jan 1, 2003, 12:40:38 PM1/1/03

I also tried both of these options. I'm currently running 32 bit. I also
had the idea of selecting a Windows XP Theme which I am currently
running, color 2 remains grayed out.
Thanks for responding so quickly.

Sharon F

Jan 1, 2003, 9:20:34 PM1/1/03
Daniel Garcia wrote:
> I also tried both of these options. I'm currently running 32 bit. I
> also had the idea of selecting a Windows XP Theme which I am currently
> running, color 2 remains grayed out.
> Thanks for responding so quickly.

Sorry if this is beleaguring the obvious but ... When you have Display>
Appearance up, are you clicking on the title bars of the active and inactive
windows? The second color won't become active until one of those two items
are selected.

That's my last suggestion other than :
- try asking the folks that make that performance program if there are any
known problems regarding the use of their program and the display settings
- try a repair install of XP. A good outline of the process, complete with
screen captures of what you'll see along the way can be found at MVP Harry's
site:(http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

Manuel B. Carvalho

Jan 2, 2003, 1:30:16 AM1/2/03
How about trying to go back with System Restore to a time you installed not
so enhancing performance enhancement program.

"Daniel Garcia" <bigc...@iscience.com> wrote in message

---
This mail is certified Free of any known Virus.

Kelly

Jan 2, 2003, 2:00:32 AM1/2/03
Hi Daniel,

Check to see if your Monitor is properly identified. This can happen when the Monitor is listed as unknown.

--
All the Best,
Kelly

MS-MVP Win98/XP-Shell/User [AE-Windows® XP]
Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Daniel G

Jan 4, 2003, 1:18:03 AM1/4/03
to Manuel B. Carvalho

Thank you Sharon, Kelly and Manuel.
Contacting the author of the program was one of my first options but I
had problem's trying to contact them. I will give it one more shot. I
think this last option is the final coarse I intend to take. I think
that I will opt to let things lie as they are rather than trying a
second install that might open another can of worms. This issue is not
overbearing. It's a control issue of mine in that I want to be able to
fix anything that I can't fix. It is better the way it is, as far as
performance. I appreciate all your input very much.

Daniel G

Jan 4, 2003, 11:41:49 AM1/4/03

Yes, I tried that but at a point that was too late. Thanks to all for
your advice.

Kelly

jwsm...@gmail.com

Jan 18, 2012, 10:17:34 AM1/18/12
to bigc...@iscience.com

In case the previous advice didn't work here is what worked for me. In the registry go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop then delete the binary value called "UserPreferencesMask". Reboot. You will have some prefences that you will have to readjust. If you have another profile on the PC that is not messed you may simply change your binary to match the working profile. Incidently my problem started with a mistake in Auslogic's "BoostSpeed" (System Tweaks>User Interface>Visual Effects) and I checked the value "Display gradient window caption". I have verified that this check mark in fact removes the second color in both the "Active and Inactive" Titlebars.

Mayayana

Jan 18, 2012, 10:36:52 AM1/18/12
You might want to get yourself a real newsreader
and stop using "web forum" slop like Google Groups.
Then you'll be able to take part in current discussions
rather than answering questions that were posted
1, 2, 3, or more years ago.

firma...@gmail.com

May 26, 2018, 1:49:59 AM5/26/18