Mouse too slow! - creative solutions welcome

K.G.

Jan 11, 2003, 2:33:16 PM1/11/03
Problem:
When I move the mouse the mouse cursor moves 10% or 15% slower then I
want it to. This seems to be specific to XP - 98 and 2000 give me
satisfactory speed via the mouse control panel with the same hardware.

There's gotta be a registry tweak, software update, control panel, or
general hack out there to get your mouse cursor to move faster then the
control panel will take you. Help!!!

Attempted fixes:

* Changing the pointer speed in the mouse control panel - I've got it
cranked all the way up and it's still not fast enough.

* Checking/un-checking the "Enhance pointer precision" button - Yeah it
changes the ballistics but it doesn't make the cursor move any faster.

* Changing mice, drivers & adaptor type - I think I've ruled out a mouse
hardware problem. I tried a Microsoft Natural PS2, a Logitech Optical
Wheel Mouse on PS2 and USB, an old Logitech trackball on PS2, and a
Microsoft Trackball Optical on PS2 and USB. Each one of these I tried
with Logitech, XP included, and Intellipoint 4.1 drivers.

* Selecting "High" acceleration in the Logitech control panel - Like
changing "Enhance pointer precision" this changes ballistics. The
problem is that high acceleration makes the mouse far more unwieldy and,
imho, less precise. It also doesn't change the basic speed of the
pointer for programs that ignore acceleration - such as Warcraft III for
instance.

* Changing the motherboard - I recently upgraded the motherboard, but
the mouse was slow on the old one under XP as well.

* Changing the "sensitivity" value in the registry when using Microsoft
drivers - Tried setting it at several values well over 20 with no
apparent effect, even after rebooting.

* Changing the "mousespeedX" and "mousespeedY" values in the registry
when using Logitech drivers - Yup, I even went as far as to figure out
what the registry speed values were for Logitech drivers. By this point
I was getting pretty peeved. Same deal as the Microsoft drivers, no
apparent effect, even after rebooting.

* Changing mouse settings using TweakUI - For about two seconds I
thought I saw a glimmer of hope. TweakUI lets you change menu speed,
double clicking, dragging, hovering, and wheel scroll... but it doesn't
let you crank up the mouse cursor speed. Doh!

* Changing PS2 settings in the BIOS - this was a good idea posted a
couple weeks ago. I tried messing with the PS2 settings there...
fiddled with the IRQs and turning autodetect off and on. It didn't have
any effect on pointer speed, though.

Basic system description:
AthlonXP, GEforce 4, 21" monitor (usually set to 1600x1200)

I've seen a few other postings here about slow mouse problems. To all
others with this problem, what is your system like? Maybe we can narrow
it down to something in common. Is this specific to Athlon
motherboards? Is it only a problem for those running in 16x12?

Thanks!
K.G.

Mitch

Jan 11, 2003, 3:41:59 PM1/11/03
Hi K.G.,

Had this problem only with an older Logitech mouse with the latest version
of Mouseware for XP downloaded from their site. This would happen only
inside certain programs, but then it wasn't 10 or 15 %, it was like 300%.
All of a sudden it was dead slow.

Dumping the Logitech drivers and using XP native ones works better, the
mouse goes fast enough and has the same behavior in all programs (I use the
max fast setting), but I miss the choice of programming the buttons.

Maybe I should try the MS intellimouse drivers with the Logitech mouse -
would that work?

Anyway, I'm running a P4 2.4, GF4 and a 22" monitor, but set at 1280 x 960,
not 1600 x 1200
--
Cheers,

--Mitch

To reply by e-mail 2000 => millennium

"K.G." <re...@this.list> wrote in message

patrick pierson

Jan 11, 2003, 3:59:54 PM1/11/03
Had the same problem. Then I solved it-changed back to windows 98.

"Mitch" <200...@bluewin.ch> wrote in message

caenogenesis

Jan 11, 2003, 4:00:40 PM1/11/03
Mitch <200...@bluewin.ch> asked wistfully...

| Hi K.G.,
|
| Had this problem only with an older Logitech mouse with the latest
| version of Mouseware for XP downloaded from their site. This would
| happen only inside certain programs, but then it wasn't 10 or 15 %,
| it was like 300%. All of a sudden it was dead slow.
|
| Dumping the Logitech drivers and using XP native ones works better,
| the mouse goes fast enough and has the same behavior in all programs
| (I use the max fast setting), but I miss the choice of programming
| the buttons.
|
| Maybe I should try the MS intellimouse drivers with the Logitech
| mouse - would that work?
|
| Anyway, I'm running a P4 2.4, GF4 and a 22" monitor, but set at 1280
| x 960, not 1600 x 1200

I use a Logitech mouse with standard XP drivers, its plugged into the PS/2
port not the usb port.
It flies on a 1600 x 1200 display.

The speed is adjusted to just over half way.

It would appear that people with problems need to look at other devices or
drivers which are causing the problem.

--
Gazwad

Freelance scientist and people tester.
Guardian: alt.os.windows-xp
Moderator: alt.warez.uk

http://angry.at/gazwad
http://gazwad.servebeer.com

K.G.

Jan 11, 2003, 3:45:35 PM1/11/03
Yeah, I've read of a few others who have had your problem. Switching
drivers seemed to work for them. One guy I read even fixed it by
updating the program itself in which the mouse was running slow. You
could try the Intellipoint drivers - they should let you reprogram the
buttons. Not sure if they might give you the same problem as the
Logitech drivers in certain programs, though. You might try some legacy
Logitech drivers as well.

From my experience there's not a whole lot of difference between the
Intellipoint and the Logitech drivers from the aspect of speed, so
switching didn't help in my case. I do like the additional buttons the
MS Optical Trackball has compared with the similar model of Logitech,
though.

Just out of curiosity, in which programs did the logitech drivers run
slowly?

K.G.

"Mitch" <200...@bluewin.ch> wrote in news:eq8HZDbuCHA.2636@TK2MSFTNGP12
on 11 Jan 2003:

sqr

Jan 11, 2003, 4:55:51 PM1/11/03
I agree.

The mouse will usually give the first signs of something else going wrong!
--
Sqr
Overseer: alt.os.windows-xp

"caenogenesis" <Dont Be So Far King Wee Tar Did> wrote in message

K.G.

Jan 11, 2003, 5:13:53 PM1/11/03
Please list examples

"sqr" <s...@sqr.sqr> wrote in news:avq3vg$a20$1...@news1.mountaincable.net
on 11 Jan 2003:

Ed|Rush

Jan 11, 2003, 6:11:35 PM1/11/03
Ah i know the feeling! I have a logitech mouse, and under
windows xp i cannot change the orinentation (the
alignment of the mouse's vertical axis) and now the mouse
is glitchy. I know its not that noticable, but when your
a sniper playing for a highly rated online clan, you can
notice! Ive no other ideas than to get a mouse which isnt
logitech, as i have found no drivers which support this
feature. Please help me, this is very fustrating

patrick pierson

Jan 11, 2003, 8:53:40 PM1/11/03
Sorry. I have a Pentium III 1gh, 512mb of ram,
dx 8.1, via motherboard.

mouse works fine with this under 98, under xp it seems slow, like it needs
more force to be moved as well. I ried the things you tried. Nothing worked.
I reverted to 98 for that reason alone, it just made xp harder to use. Funny
how it is the little things that count.

"K.G." <re...@this.list.net> wrote in message

K.G.

Jan 12, 2003, 2:27:44 AM1/12/03
Yeah, sounds like the same problem I'm having.
I also think it's pretty sad that MS made it tough enough to change this
that NOBODY has written a patch for it yet. I think I'm going to start
throwing requests at the MS help lines and see if I get a response...

"patrick pierson" <brin...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in
news:EU3U9.38110$p_6.3...@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net on 11
Jan 2003:

K.G.

Jan 12, 2003, 10:33:36 AM1/12/03
That's gotta suck.
The Intellipoint drivers that I'm using right now have a "Set Orientation"
section under the "Activities" tab. That should work for you.
Before going out and buying a microsoft mouse you might try loading the
intellipoint drivers up with your Logitech & see how that works.

"Ed|Rush" <stucke...@hotmail.com> wrote in news:300b01c2b9c6$c96f1a40
$d6f82ecf@TK2MSFTNGXA13 on 11 Jan 2003:

Norm Epp

Jan 12, 2003, 2:52:39 PM1/12/03
The XP Intellimouse Optical driver (4.1) does not appear to have the pointer
accelerate feature available in the WIN 98 version of the driver. The speed
setting alone is insufficient to avoid having to lift the mouse to
accomplish pointer movements across or from top to bottom of the whole
screen. This is a backward step as far as I am concerned.

Norm

sqr wrote:
> I agree.
>
> The mouse will usually give the first signs of something else going
> wrong! --
> Sqr
> Overseer: alt.os.windows-xp

Ed|Rush

Jan 13, 2003, 5:47:09 AM1/13/03

Excellent idea, and it worked !! Thanks alot for your
help, i dunno why i didnt think of that ;)

K.G.

Jan 13, 2003, 9:14:14 PM1/13/03
Cool! Glad someone's getting some fixes from this thread :)

"Ed|Rush" <stucke...@hotmail.com> wrote in news:49a701c2baf1$1f88d120
$8af82ecf@TK2MSFTNGXA03 on 13 Jan 2003:

Highrender

Jan 28, 2003, 4:06:42 AM1/28/03
LightWave3d

Jun 26, 2013, 6:15:19 PM6/26/13
I know this reply is coming to you ten years later, but the simple rule of thumb when it comes to hardware issues is this.

If the motherboard is OK and the software is OK (im guessing you reinstalled at least once) the its the hardware itself.

From the future,