Naar het eerste ongelezen bericht

William B. Lurie

ongelezen,
23 jun. 2003 12:49:0023-06-2003
aan
This is a new thread because I'm narrowing down my query.
From previous answers I'm getting the impression that my Master HDD,
which is NTFS and has Windows XP Home Edition on it,
can not be partitioned in its present state, in order to be able to
install Windows ME in a separate partition. Is this correct?

Next question: When I run Partition Magic 8.0 to attempt
to partition that HDD, I get their "Error 1513" which they have
been working since February to try to fix. So using that third-
party software to accomplish this, is not working.

William B. Lurie

Harry Ohrn

ongelezen,
23 jun. 2003 14:46:3623-06-2003
aan
It is highly likely that BootIt NG will work for you
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/ However it is not as easy to work with as
PM. If decide to use BootIt NG download and create the floppy. when you boot
the floppy just cancel the request to install and you can run it from the
floppy. It doesn't have the same easy GUI that PM has but is far superior as
a repartitioning tool. Check the link above out for links to Support sites
for the product. They offer excellent tech support.

--

Harry Ohrn - MS MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"William B. Lurie" <bill...@ieee.org> wrote in message

William B. Lurie

ongelezen,
23 jun. 2003 15:07:3723-06-2003
aan
Okay, Harry.... I have BootitNG and maybe I'll be forced to use it.
But one of the URLs generously offered to me in responses
yesterday sounded ominously loike "You canNOT partition the
HDD and add ME in a second partition if XP Home Edition is
in the main partition and has NTFS". My failure to be able to
partition the Master HDD (NTFS) using PM 8.0 sort of
confirms that.....are you telling me that BootitNG will do it anyway?
W B L

Harry Ohrn wrote:

--

William B. Lurie

Maurice N

ongelezen,
23 jun. 2003 19:08:3723-06-2003
aan
Hello William,
First, Windows Me could not be installed on an NTFS volume.
Second, providing your HDD has sufficient FREE space, then, you must use PM 8 from its main diskette(s) (booting off them).
Then you would run PM. Shrink down your current partition; making room for unused (un-allocated) space.
This should then be setup as FAT32 volume where you 'could' have the ME system.

Be very aware that you would have to do some double-checking & some tweaking if you intend a dual-boot system.
e.g. reviewing the boot files for each o.s.

To avoid the error 1513, run PM from diskettes. Just insure you first do a CHKDSK or Scandisk (as appropriate) before all this.
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Harry Ohrn

ongelezen,
24 jun. 2003 00:47:3024-06-2003
aan
You can not install Me to an NTFS formatted partition. Use BootIt NG (or PM8
for that matter) to resize your current NTFS partition downward leaving free
space at the end of the partition. The free space that is created when you
down size must now be formatted as FAT32. You can then install Me to this
new partition. Rather than trying to use XP's boot manager use BootIt NG as
the boot manager. In this case you will need to install BootIt NG.

--

Harry Ohrn - MS MVP (Windows Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/

"William B. Lurie" <bill...@ieee.org> wrote in message

Spinner

ongelezen,
30 jun. 2003 00:45:3830-06-2003
aan

"William B. Lurie" <bill...@ieee.org> wrote in message

William,
Another option to partitioning your drive is to use an emulator.
Vmware will allow you to run ME in a window under XP.
I have done this before using the Vmware Workstation.
Check out http://www.vmware.com and see if this may work for you.

Allen beantwoorden
Auteur beantwoorden
Doorsturen