what is SharedDLLs for

2 visninger
Gå til det første ulæste indlæg

gs

ulæst,
18. jul. 2005 14.38.3618.07.2005
til
and do the values in reg_sz in there mean?

I should have mentioned the registry full key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs
What does XP do with them?

Will Denny

ulæst,
18. jul. 2005 15.11.5918.07.2005
til
Hi

That entry in the Registry pertains to any .DLL files that are/can be used
by more than one program. Please don't alter anything there!!

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"gs" <g...@nomail.nil> wrote in message

Tom Porterfield

ulæst,
18. jul. 2005 15.17.3218.07.2005
til

Let's say I write a program that uses MFC. The MFC libraries are
contained in mfc71.dll. As I don't know if the target workstation will
have that dll, I include mfc71.dll in my program's installation package,
marking it as a shared dll.

When my application gets installed on a Windows workstation, since I
have marked the mfc71.dll file as shared, the fact that it has been
installed gets recorded to the SharedDLLs registry key. This allows
Windows to keep track of how many times that dll has been installed.
You'll notice the Data for each one of the entries is a number. This
represents the number of times a setup package has installed that dll.

If some other app has also installed mfc71.dll and you then decide to
uninstall my application, the information is now recorded that I am not
the only application on the machine using that shared dll, and so my
uninstall should not remove the file. If my uninstall did remove the
file, then the other application(s) that had also needed the file would
stop functioning properly.

Granted that for this to work correctly requires some participation on
the part of application install package developers, and it isn't
completely full-proof.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

Will Denny

ulæst,
18. jul. 2005 17.00.0218.07.2005
til
Hi Tom

Yup, that's what I said in one line!!

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"Tom Porterfield" <tppo...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Tom Porterfield

ulæst,
18. jul. 2005 22.24.4118.07.2005
til
On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 22:00:02 +0100, Will Denny wrote:

> Yup, that's what I said in one line!!

The reader's digest version?

Svar alle
Svar forfatteren