uninstall MSN messanger

Nathan Wilcox

Apr 5, 2002, 2:39:00 PM4/5/02
Can some tell me how to uninstall MSN Messenger, it is messing up my modem,
connected to a router. It keeps my modem connected, if I disconnect it will
trigger a redial.

Gary Thorn [MVP-WinXP]

Apr 5, 2002, 2:44:48 PM4/5/02

1) Locate in the "INF" folder of your Windows folder. If
you cannot find this folder you may have to enable the
Show Hidden or System Files in Folder Option of Control
Panel.
2) Select the "SYSOC.INF" file and press Enter key to open
it in Notepad.
3) Locate the line with "MSMSGS".
4) Replace the word HIDE with a comma (,). That will leave
double commas (,,)
5) Save the file
6) Access "Add or Remove Programs" in the Control Panel
7) Select "Add/Remove Windows Components". "Windows
Messenger" is now displayed.
8) Remove the chekmark and click OK to uninstalled

To prevent MSN Messenger from starting, see this MS KB
article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
scid=kb;en-us;Q302089

More info here:
http://www.broomeman.com/support/wsdsblwm.html

Hope this helps!

Gary Thorn
MVP-WinXP
Associate Expert

More info about the Windows XP Expert Zone:
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

More info about the MS MVP Program:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp/

Doug Knox MS-MVP

Apr 5, 2002, 7:21:16 PM4/5/02
Click Start, Run and enter:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Additionally, if you use the Contacts pane in Outlook Express, you will want to make one change to the system Registry.

Click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT

Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Right click in the right pane and select New, Dword value. Give it the name Hide Messenger Double click this new entry and set the value to 2. This step is needed to prevent a long delay in opening OE if you use the Contacts pane.

For an automated method of doing this, see my web site, www.dougknox.com, go to the Win XP Fixes section and follow the link for Windows Messenger - Remove

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows XP/9x
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes

Tamalix

Apr 5, 2002, 10:05:53 PM4/5/02
I am of an opinion that Doug should get some sort of award/reward for every
time he gives instructions on how to remove the
'I-hate-when-it's-shoved-down-my-throat' Messenger. :)
Tam.

"Nathan Wilcox" <njwi...@advnet.net> wrote in message

---

Doug Knox MS-MVP

Apr 5, 2002, 10:59:16 PM4/5/02
Thanks for that, Tamalix :) But I'm only one of many......

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows XP/9x
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
Associate Expert
ExpertZone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
--------------------------------
The newest resource for Windows XP!!
Windows XP From A-Z
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

Kelly

Apr 6, 2002, 2:24:16 AM4/6/02
I second Tam's suggestion. You have made this same reply to 782 posters.
<s>

--
All the Best,
Kelly

MS-MVP DTS
[AE-Windows® XP]

Windows Troubleshooting & Support
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/tips/

Andreas Heib

Apr 6, 2002, 3:37:10 PM4/6/02
"Tamalix" <hch...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I am of an opinion that Doug should get some sort of award/reward for every
>time he gives instructions on how to remove the
>'I-hate-when-it's-shoved-down-my-throat' Messenger. :)

I thought that's why he got already his Award as
MS-MessengerVapourizingProfessional ;-)

ah @濃

Doug Knox MS-MVP

Apr 6, 2002, 4:15:54 PM4/6/02