XP "genuine advantage" Big Brother nightmares

xp ?

Jun 4, 2006, 8:58:43 AM6/4/06
Last night, while working on something else, I stupidly authorized
Windows to install a "genuine advantage" update that it was bugging me
for permission to install. I'd have been more scrutinous of this
request, had I not been distracted on other things.

So when I flipped the computer on this morning, I got a warning that I
may be using counterfeit XP software, or something to that effect. It
bugged me every step of the login process about this, and I blew it off
with the "resolve later" option they finally gave me.

20 minutes later, the computer went into the royal blue screen with the
white type saying that something bad had happened to the computer.

I restarted the computer and used System Restore to restore to a point
before I installed the "genuine advantage" (what a laugh) update.

My question is, how do I now avoid this update going onto my computer,
or better yet, how do I essentially permanently decline the "right" to
have it automatically installed?

By way of background, my computer is one I bought from a friend, that I
have since upgraded with a new motherboard, CPU, second hard drive for
data, and new graphics card.

I have an XP CD that I got from him, and it *looks* genuine, but I have
no desire to tinker with an O/S that had otherwise been fine.

The computer is up to date in Windows' eyes. It has SP2 on it, and the
Windows Updates download at night and install in the background.

I am sure millions of users are waking up to this same nightmare I just
experienced, so I am sure solutions to this issue will soon be widely
propagating on the web.

And no, I'm not going to respond to the shakedown MS has on the "genuine
advantage" prompts, offering to make the problem go away if I pay them
money.

Richard Urban

Jun 4, 2006, 10:14:41 AM6/4/06

<snip>

> By way of background, my computer is one I bought from a friend, that I
> have since upgraded with a new motherboard, CPU, second hard drive for
> data, and new graphics card.
>
> I have an XP CD that I got from him, and it *looks* genuine, but I have
> no desire to tinker with an O/S that had otherwise been fine.

<snip>

Hey! If you buy a car from a friend, drive it for two years before you are
pulled over in a traffic stop and find out the car is stolen, do you expect
to still keep that car "because you have driven it for two years and it has
given you no problems"? Of course not. You live with the consequences.

Not a great analogy I know, but the best I can come up with at the present.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

kurttrail

Jun 4, 2006, 10:17:06 AM6/4/06
xp ? wrote:

Stop using MS's Updaters, Windows, Microsoft, and Automatic Updates.

Learn to patch your OS through Common Sense Computing:

http://comsense.microscum.com

--
Peace!
Kurt Kirsch

Duane Arnold

Jun 4, 2006, 10:24:03 AM6/4/06
Either you have a valid copy of XP on your machine or you don't and stop
whining or go to Linux.

Duane :)

CCrusher

Jun 4, 2006, 10:31:06 AM6/4/06
LMAO
You bought a computer from a friend, then proceeded to replace the
motherboard, CPU, hard drive, and graphics card...Why did you buy that
computer?....for the plug? LOL
"xp ?" <x...@px.xp> wrote in message

Robert Moir

Jun 4, 2006, 10:46:54 AM6/4/06
xp ? wrote:

> I have an XP CD that I got from him, and it *looks* genuine, but I
> have no desire to tinker with an O/S that had otherwise been fine.
>
> The computer is up to date in Windows' eyes. It has SP2 on it, and
> the Windows Updates download at night and install in the background.
>
> I am sure millions of users are waking up to this same nightmare I
> just experienced, so I am sure solutions to this issue will soon be
> widely propagating on the web.
>
> And no, I'm not going to respond to the shakedown MS has on the
> "genuine advantage" prompts, offering to make the problem go away if
> I pay them money.

WGA is catching some people who are using pirated software, many without
even knowing they are. If you fall into this catagory then Microsoft are not
the people who are shaking you down.

It also appears to be catching out a lot of genuine users who have a problem
with their system or who are encountering bugs in WGA itself - not sure
which.

I totally sympathise, but if you're not willing to invest the time to find
out if you do have a genuine licence or not then it isn't really possible to
say much constructive about the situation.

CCrusher

Jun 4, 2006, 10:49:35 AM6/4/06
Seriously thou, if you change out every component of a computer, it is now a
"new computer" and the original WindowsXP licence was for the "original
computer". I believe you can only make a limited number of hardware changes.

"CCrusher" <us...@invaliddomain.com> wrote in message

MJSOI

Jun 4, 2006, 10:51:01 AM6/4/06
Genuine Advantage Changed Dial- Up Settings. After instaling my PC now auto
dials Netscape dial-up connection on start up of PC. Past set-up was manual
internet connection start up by clicking desktop icon. Outlook & Outlook
Express are not enabled & have never been used. All prior Win XP updates are
installed & worked OK without changing any settings. Please tell me how to
turn OFF the auto dialer to intertet connection in Win XP? I know this is
simple, but it has been years since fooling with this setting & I can not
find the dialer settings. What hath hell brought?
--
MJSOI

Robin Walker [MVP]

Jun 4, 2006, 11:08:36 AM6/4/06
xp ? <x...@px.xp> wrote:

> So when I flipped the computer on this morning, I got a warning that I
> may be using counterfeit XP software, or something to that effect. It
> bugged me every step of the login process about this, and I blew it
> off with the "resolve later" option they finally gave me.

This might or might not actually be the case: there are some false positives
at present. Please download the MGA diagnostic from:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=56062
and run it. Click the "Copy to clipboard" button and paste the result into
a post on the special WGA forum at:
http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=442&SiteID=25
where you will get better advice than from this Windows Update forum.

> 20 minutes later, the computer went into the royal blue screen with
> the white type saying that something bad had happened to the computer.

This might just be a bad coincidence: there is no reason why the WGA process
should have provoked a blue-screen. If it happens again, note down the
diagnostic details at the bottom of the screen, which should serve to narrow
down the cause of the crash.

--
Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
rd...@cam.ac.uk

Alias

Jun 4, 2006, 11:10:59 AM6/4/06
MJSOI wrote:
> Genuine Advantage Changed Dial- Up Settings. After instaling my PC now auto
> dials Netscape dial-up connection on start up of PC. Past set-up was manual
> internet connection start up by clicking desktop icon. Outlook & Outlook
> Express are not enabled & have never been used. All prior Win XP updates are
> installed & worked OK without changing any settings. Please tell me how to
> turn OFF the auto dialer to intertet connection in Win XP? I know this is
> simple, but it has been years since fooling with this setting & I can not
> find the dialer settings. What hath hell brought?

Use your firewall to block the WGA spyware and it will stop.

Alias

Robin Walker [MVP]

Jun 4, 2006, 11:13:09 AM6/4/06
MJSOI <MJ...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Genuine Advantage Changed Dial- Up Settings. After instaling my PC
> now auto dials Netscape dial-up connection on start up of PC. Past
> set-up was manual internet connection start up by clicking desktop
> icon.

Open control panel "Internet Options", click tab "Connections". Ensure that
"Never dial a connection" is checked, rather than "Dial whenever a network
connection is not present.

Alias

Jun 4, 2006, 11:16:35 AM6/4/06
CCrusher wrote:
> Seriously thou, if you change out every component of a computer, it is now a
> "new computer" and the original WindowsXP licence was for the "original
> computer". I believe you can only make a limited number of hardware changes.

You're incorrect. If too many hardware changes are made, phone
activation will be necessary. If it's been over 120 days since the last
activation or hardware change, you will be able to activate on line.

Alias

CCrusher

Jun 4, 2006, 12:17:41 PM6/4/06
I dont think I am incorrect. If I replace every component but the case, its
a different computer. I can call and explain the situation, but whether
Micosoft would go for that is up to them. If you are correct, then every
computer user that buys a new computer could transfer XP to the new
computer, then call and say " I made some hardware changes".
Boy, the effort people make to save 200 bucks is unbelieveable. Days spent
trying to circumvent the process. lol
"Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message

Alias

Jun 4, 2006, 12:56:17 PM6/4/06
CCrusher wrote:
> I dont think I am incorrect.

Try thinking again and, while you're at it, read the EULA.

> If I replace every component but the case, its
> a different computer.

No, it's an upgraded computer.

> I can call and explain the situation, but whether
> Micosoft would go for that is up to them.

Not true. You're allowed to upgrade a computer as much as your little
heart desires. Again, read your EULA and inform yourself.

> If you are correct, then every
> computer user that buys a new computer could transfer XP to the new
> computer, then call and say " I made some hardware changes".

That is not upgrading a computer that you already have/had XP loaded on,
now is it, Mr Thinker?

> Boy, the effort people make to save 200 bucks is unbelieveable. Days spent
> trying to circumvent the process. lol

It's not a matter of money. Read the EULA and then get back to me.

Alias

Jim

Jun 4, 2006, 1:31:31 PM6/4/06

"Robert Moir" <robspamtr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Jacob2000

Jun 4, 2006, 1:50:01 PM6/4/06
Did you reinstall your Windows XP AFTER you installed your new motherboard?
You have to do that for the drivers to properly recognize the new
motherboard. You simply cant take a new board and a hard drive with XP on it
and think that it will work without reinstallation of XP. I have done this
many, many times, upgrading mine and friends computers and I found out the
hard way that if you dont do this, your XP will continuously give you the
dreaded BSOD because it has no idea what this new hardware is. Even the
"HARDWARE FINDER" doesnt do this, from my experience anyway, except during
the installation process. I think I read somewhere that it was to prevent
piracy.

Vanguard

Jun 4, 2006, 1:56:52 PM6/4/06
"xp ?" <x...@px.xp> wrote in message
> [...]

NOTE: Newsgroups in my reply differ from those used in the original
post. Original newsgroups were:
microsoft.public.windowsupdate
(blank group)
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
24hoursupport.helpdesk
My reply to the *cross-posted* message was sent only the [somewhat]
RELATED newsgroups of:
microsoft.public.windowsupdate
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

> Last night, while working on something else, I stupidly authorized
> Windows to install a "genuine advantage" update that it was bugging me
> for permission to install.

<snip>

When WU shows you an update, I always go the WU site to do it rather
than have the service download (after prompt and okaying) the update
(and then prompt to ask again if okay to install). That way, I can
click the checkbox that says to hide that update in the future so I
never get prompted about it again. Have WU only *show* that there are
updates but NOT let it download them and definitely NEVER have it
automatically install them.

<snip>

> 20 minutes later, the computer went into the royal blue screen with
> the
> white type saying that something bad had happened to the computer.

I haven't seen evidence that WGA causes blue screens. Looks like you
have other problems with your computer, especially if it is taking 20
minutes for a blue to occur after some event you *think* is the trigger.

> I restarted the computer and used System Restore to restore to a point
> before I installed the "genuine advantage" (what a laugh) update.

You have never used System Restore before and often enough to realize
that it is NOT a reliable method of returning your computer to a prior
state? One, it only restores *system* files hence its name. It does
not restore the hard disk back to some prior physical state (i.e., it is
not a disk/partition imaging program). Two, it too often gets
corrupted. Three, walking backwards doesn't always get you back to your
starting point. I'm not surprised that a security update would have no
uninstall path, especially one designed to protect the revenue stream
for the software's author. Several updates from Microsoft are one-way
installs: once in there is no standard procedure available to uninstall
it. DirectX is that way, too.

<snip>

> By way of background, my computer is one I bought from a friend, that
> have since upgraded with a new motherboard, CPU, second hard drive for
> data, and new graphics card.
>
> I have an XP CD that I got from him, and it *looks* genuine, but I
> have
> no desire to tinker with an O/S that had otherwise been fine.

So you *think* you have a legitimate install CD for Windows XP. Does it
look like those shown at
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/windows.mspx? I
couldn't drill any further since you did not mention WHICH version of
Windows that you have (retail, upgrade, OEM, Professional, Home, Media,
etc.). Just because you have what appears to be a legal install CD
doesn't mean that was was your "friend" used when he/she install the
operating system. Could be all you got was the hardware which included
a polluted drive (the friend was too lazy to wipe the drive or expected
YOU to wipe it and do a fresh install using the CD that he/she gave you)
along with a CD that was never used to install the OS. Be sure to thank
your friend appropriately.

<snip>

> And no, I'm not going to respond to the shakedown MS has on the
> "genuine
> advantage" prompts, offering to make the problem go away if I pay them
> money.

So if you are not willing to call Microsoft to ask them about getting a
CD for a legitimate copy (by providing proof that you actually bought
the software rather than just getting hardware with a polluted hard
drive). You don't even have to pay for the shipping to get the CD from
them; go read
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en#Question6Label.
Hell, the CD is complimentary (free) as a ripped off customer - IF you
qualify. If you are unwilling to get rid of the pirated version then
just keep on using it and incur continued problems. Your choice.

There are instances of false positives (i.e., the user does have a legit
copy) but you've already been told about the WGA forum by Robin. Read:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/04/26/disable-and-remove-windows-genuine-advantage-notifications-nag-screen/
(short URL = http://snipurl.com/xpnag)

Personally, I use DiamondCS ProcessGuard to regulate what can load into
memory (programs can only run if they get into memory), and I have it
block wgatray.exe. It attempts to load twice on Windows startup (as
noted when I configure it to prompt rather than just block it
automatically). The ActiveX control used by the Windows Update site
doesn't use it so you can still authenticate your Windows at that time
to get updates.

Noel Paton

Jun 4, 2006, 4:35:50 PM6/4/06

> CCrusher wrote:
>> I dont think I am incorrect.
>
> Try thinking again and, while you're at it, read the EULA.
>
>> If I replace every component but the case, its a different computer.
>
> No, it's an upgraded computer.
>
>> I can call and explain the situation, but whether Micosoft would go for
>> that is up to them.
>
> Not true. You're allowed to upgrade a computer as much as your little
> heart desires. Again, read your EULA and inform yourself.
>
>> If you are correct, then every computer user that buys a new computer
>> could transfer XP to the new computer, then call and say " I made some
>> hardware changes".
>
> That is not upgrading a computer that you already have/had XP loaded on,
> now is it, Mr Thinker?
>
>> Boy, the effort people make to save 200 bucks is unbelieveable. Days
>> spent trying to circumvent the process. lol
>
> It's not a matter of money. Read the EULA and then get back to me.

It depends on whether the original install was an OEM install, or a Retail
install - in the case of a Retail install, then it's possible to move the OS
to a completely different PC, while with an OEN install, it's tied to the
original PC, and it is likely that it could be construed that the OP's
actions take him outside of that, and mean that his version is not
'legitimate' in that sense.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

CCrusher

Jun 4, 2006, 6:11:08 PM6/4/06

>> If you are correct, then every
>> computer user that buys a new computer could transfer XP to the new
>> computer, then call and say " I made some hardware changes".
>
> That is not upgrading a computer that you already have/had XP loaded on,
> now is it, Mr Thinker?

Sure it is. I took the bay door off the old computer, and put it on the new
computer. So I upgraded all the hardware from the old computer,minus the bay
door.

Ed Light

Jun 4, 2006, 6:41:34 PM6/4/06

> Please tell me how to
> turn OFF the auto dialer to intertet connection in Win XP?
I think if you click Cancel on it then you get a checkbox to uncheck for
automatic.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
sp...@uce.gov
Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Jun 4, 2006, 6:42:12 PM6/4/06
Change your Automatic Update settings to stop this or any other update from
downloading and installing without your explicit permission:
Right click My Computer and click Properties.
Click Automatic Update tab.
Make selections as desired.
If you disable Automatic Update, make sure you periodically check since you
will no longer be notified by Windows.
Normally updates are released the 2nd Tuesday of the month.

You have what appears to be a genuine CD, do you also have the original
Product Key?
Have you verified that the correct CD and Product Key were used to install
Windows on your computer?
It would not be the first time I saw a computer with pirated Windows
installed even though there was a proper installation method available.

You should determine if your Windows XP installation is legitimate:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/default.mspx

Also see:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/invalpk.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"xp ?" <x...@px.xp> wrote in message
> [...]

MJSOI

Jun 6, 2006, 6:15:01 AM6/6/06
Please tell how to Uninstall Genuine Advantage? I looked under "add/remove
programs under Control Panel & do not see it listed! While I did receive
instructions telling how to unable auto dial internet connection, that has
not been done yet. Reason is I suspect more conflicts from this worthless
update. Worthless due to:
1. Win XP on my PC has been registered with MS since the day I bought it &
MS should know that & not send me Genuine Advantage.
2. All other Win XP updates were instaled in past. MS should again know that
my copy of Win XP is legal!
3. Retore to before Gen Adv has been done which turned off Auto dial.
4. This Newsgroup web site runs very slow. My time is being wasted.
5. User is considering turning off update notification to get rid of the
shield icon on my task bar.
6. This user is upset & pissed off for being tortured by MS when I did
nothing wrong.
--
MJSOI

Robin Walker [MVP]

Jun 6, 2006, 6:39:46 AM6/6/06
MJSOI <MJ...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Please tell how to Uninstall Genuine Advantage?

Genuine Advantage cannot be uninstalled. It is a permanent feature.

Alias

Jun 6, 2006, 6:52:52 AM6/6/06
Robin Walker [MVP] wrote:
> MJSOI <MJ...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> Please tell how to Uninstall Genuine Advantage?
>
> Genuine Advantage cannot be uninstalled. It is a permanent feature.

Actually, it can. There are tools that will do the job, although Windows
Add/Remove isn't one of them. You'd think an "MVP" would know that ...

Alias

Jeff

Jun 6, 2006, 7:05:38 AM6/6/06
Now Now Alias,
You really want "Big Brother" to get upset with you?
LOL
Jeff

"Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message

Alias

Jun 6, 2006, 7:14:10 AM6/6/06
Jeff wrote:
> Now Now Alias,
> You really want "Big Brother" to get upset with you?
> LOL
> Jeff

For what, telling the truth? I'm still waiting for someone to verify if
one flashes the BIOS or replaces a hard drive whether I will have to buy
another copy of XP, speaking of "telling the truth".

Alias

Jeff

Jun 6, 2006, 7:21:45 AM6/6/06
Well,
IMOH,
If WGA collects all that extra info just to validate it's o.s. ; you
better believe they'de know if you change the"engine". Oh; I digress
however, WGA isn't a "bad" thing; it's a "GOOD" thing. Just ask various
MVP's and other's;including MS banker's-LOL
Jeff

"Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message

Jeff

Jun 6, 2006, 7:29:11 AM6/6/06
Oh,
I'm sorry; I stated last night that I'm done with this isssue. Everyone
for themselves over this;from now on. I've pointed out said deceit;so many
times; I'm tiring of it. And if MS decides that KB905474's methodology will
become the way they do business;and make it a requirement to do business
with them; then they will lose my business
Jeff
"Jeff" <jeffw...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Jeff

Jun 6, 2006, 7:34:20 AM6/6/06
Oh,
Bye for now-reformating;to wipe my pc clean of any hint of WGA.
just so happens, it's brand new;so nothing "mission critical" on it yet.

Jeff
"Jeff" <jeffw...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

antioch

Jun 6, 2006, 11:46:34 AM6/6/06

"MJSOI" <MJ...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Please tell how to Uninstall Genuine Advantage? I looked under "add/remove
> programs under Control Panel & do not see it listed! While I did receive
> instructions telling how to unable auto dial internet connection, that has
> not been done yet. Reason is I suspect more conflicts from this worthless
> update. Worthless due to:
> 1. Win XP on my PC has been registered with MS since the day I bought it &
> MS should know that & not send me Genuine Advantage.
> 2. All other Win XP updates were instaled in past. MS should again know
> that
> my copy of Win XP is legal!
> 3. Retore to before Gen Adv has been done which turned off Auto dial.
> 4. This Newsgroup web site runs very slow. My time is being wasted.
> 5. User is considering turning off update notification to get rid of the
> shield icon on my task bar.
> 6. This user is upset & pissed off for being tortured by MS when I did
> nothing wrong.
> --
> MJSOI

Hello MJSOI
Lots of us are pizzed off with WGA for a lot of different reasons.

If you want to moan/have a problem or whatever, go here

http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=444&SiteID=25

OR here

http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/default.aspx?SiteID=25

There are some fixes to get rid of it - have not read anyone who has any
result though.
Its with you 'for life' sitting on your computer watching what you are doing
:-) :-)
Rgds
Antioch

Robert W.

Jun 6, 2006, 12:20:00 PM6/6/06
"Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message

> For what, telling the truth? I'm still waiting for someone to verify if
> one flashes the BIOS or replaces a hard drive whether I will have to buy
> another copy of XP, speaking of "telling the truth".

I have replaced an 80GB drive with a 160GB drive and I didn't hear a peep
from WPA.

--
Robert

Alias

Jun 6, 2006, 12:30:06 PM6/6/06

I found the answer at the WGA web forum:

"Absolutely not... The WGA process follows the guidelines of our normal
Product Activation Business rules."

Alias

Rhonda Lea Kirk

Jun 6, 2006, 1:47:28 PM6/6/06
Alias wrote:
> Robin Walker [MVP] wrote:
>> MJSOI wrote:

>>> Please tell how to Uninstall Genuine Advantage?

>> Genuine Advantage cannot be uninstalled. It is a permanent feature.

> Actually, it can. There are tools that will do the job, although
> Windows Add/Remove isn't one of them. You'd think an "MVP" would know
> that ...

Well, even though I'm technically ignorant, I disabled it this morning
(because I had a nightmare about it last night).

Now Microsoft Update wants to reinstall it again. I told it not to
bother me anymore, at which point it asserted that it is a critical
update and that my computer might be at risk.

rl
--
Rhonda Lea Kirk

Insisting on perfect safety is for people
without the balls to live in the real world.
Mary Shafer Iliff

Alias

Jun 6, 2006, 2:32:02 PM6/6/06
Rhonda Lea Kirk wrote:
> Alias wrote:
>> Robin Walker [MVP] wrote:

>>> Genuine Advantage cannot be uninstalled. It is a permanent feature.
>
>> Actually, it can. There are tools that will do the job, although
>> Windows Add/Remove isn't one of them. You'd think an "MVP" would know
>> that ...
>
> Well, even though I'm technically ignorant, I disabled it this morning
> (because I had a nightmare about it last night).
>
> Now Microsoft Update wants to reinstall it again. I told it not to
> bother me anymore, at which point it asserted that it is a critical
> update and that my computer might be at risk.
>
> rl

Which is a baldfaced lie.

Alias

R. McCarty

Jun 6, 2006, 2:39:24 PM6/6/06
Alias, believe it's "Boldface(d)" - did give me a good laugh.
I had to check with Dictionary.Com to discover Baldface is
a type of duck.

"Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message

Alias

Jun 6, 2006, 2:42:29 PM6/6/06
R. McCarty wrote:
> Alias, believe it's "Boldface(d)" - did give me a good laugh.
> I had to check with Dictionary.Com to discover Baldface is
> a type of duck.

I stand corrected.

Alias

Alias

Jun 6, 2006, 3:59:32 PM6/6/06
R. McCarty wrote:
> Alias, believe it's "Boldface(d)" - did give me a good laugh.
> I had to check with Dictionary.Com to discover Baldface is
> a type of duck.

No wonder my Thunderbird spell check didn't flag it ;-)

Alias

Robert Moir

Jun 6, 2006, 5:34:45 PM6/6/06
Alias wrote:
> Jeff wrote:
>> Now Now Alias,
>> You really want "Big Brother" to get upset with you?
>> LOL
>> Jeff
>
> For what, telling the truth? I'm still waiting for someone to verify
> if one flashes the BIOS or replaces a hard drive whether I will have
> to buy another copy of XP, speaking of "telling the truth".

I replied on that question, and gave you the best answer I had. And I
*always* tell the truth as I see it. You actually replied to me on that one,
so I'm not sure why you feel you're still waiting. By all means disagree
with me, by all means dislike my answers (I don't like the hand waving about
OEM stuff myself) but you haven't been ignored.

If I remember rightly, the answers were

BIOS - "Generally no, but with the OEM stuff there might be some issues if
you use a BIOS image that isn't from the OEM" - this is why I advise
avoiding that stuff if you can

Hard Disk - "Definately not." I've swapped hard disks around and done fresh
installs / re-images and also moved installs around using Ghost with no
issues.

MVPs are not perfect. We don't know everything and we do make mistakes.

Rob Moir, Microsoft MVP
Blog Site - http://www.robertmoir.com
Virtual PC 2004 FAQ - http://www.robertmoir.co.uk/win/VirtualPC2004FAQ.html
I'm always surprised at "professionals" who STILL have to be asked "Have you
checked (event viewer / syslog)".

Rhonda Lea Kirk

Jun 6, 2006, 5:58:13 PM6/6/06
Alias wrote:
> R. McCarty wrote:
>> Alias, believe it's "Boldface(d)" - did give me a good laugh.
>> I had to check with Dictionary.Com to discover Baldface is
>> a type of duck.
>
> No wonder my Thunderbird spell check didn't flag it ;-)

Every now and again it's possible for all participants to be
correct...or incorrect...depending on how you look at it. :)

Be sure to check the supporting links.

http://wordcraft.infopop.cc/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/4891052672/r/5691035872

or

http://makeashorterlink.com/?I2712293D

Alias

Jun 6, 2006, 7:47:46 PM6/6/06
Rhonda Lea Kirk wrote:
> Alias wrote:
>> R. McCarty wrote:
>>> Alias, believe it's "Boldface(d)" - did give me a good laugh.
>>> I had to check with Dictionary.Com to discover Baldface is
>>> a type of duck.
>> No wonder my Thunderbird spell check didn't flag it ;-)
>
> Every now and again it's possible for all participants to be
> correct...or incorrect...depending on how you look at it. :)
>
> Be sure to check the supporting links.
>
> http://wordcraft.infopop.cc/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/4891052672/r/5691035872
>
> or
>
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?I2712293D
>
> rl

:-)

Alias

@hotmail.com FeMaster

Jun 9, 2006, 9:59:29 AM6/9/06

"antioch" <r.antioc...@dunkthisntlworld.com> wrote in message

> Its with you 'for life' sitting on your computer watching what you are
doing

It's not with me... I read the description of all downloads before I
authorize their install... After reading it, I knew right away it was going
to be nothing but trouble. Never downloaded it, NEVER WILL!

SMiano

Jun 18, 2006, 10:51:02 AM6/18/06
Ok... Here's the Rub:

"By way of background, my computer is one I bought from a friend, that I
have since upgraded with a new motherboard, CPU, second hard drive for
data, and new graphics card."

I am assuming the computer he sold you had an OEM license on it. If so, that
license is tied to the motherboard. If you replace the motherboard, you are
required to purchase a new license. I know that sounds daft, and I'm not
saying I agree with that, but that is straight from the mouth of Microsoft
Licensing. The only exception, as they told me, was if the manufacturer
replaced the motherboard under warranty with the same or similar board.

This is, of course, a fairly grey area, and questionably enforceable, but
according to MS Licensing, that's the way it is.

kurttrail

Jun 18, 2006, 11:15:01 AM6/18/06
SMiano wrote:

Please quote the OEM EULA where the license is tied specifically to the
MOTHERBOARD.

That will be a very hard task, since the OEM EULA doens't mention the
word MOTHERBOAD at all.

--
Peace!
Kurt Kirsch
Self-anointed Moderator
http://microscum.com
"It'll soon shake your Windows
And rattle your walls
For the times they are a-changin'."

SMiano

Jun 18, 2006, 1:22:01 PM6/18/06
My apologies if I said something that may have been misconstrued. At no point
did I make claim to anything in any EULA witnessed by me. I merely conveyed
what I was told by more than one Microsoft Licensing Representatives. I am
not a Microsoft employee, Lawyer, or paid sponsor. I believe I said OEM
Licensing told me that, not the EULA.

I don't make the rule, nor judgement on how someone may percieve the rules.
I am merely pointing out my anecdotal experience, in an effort to shed light
on a suspect situation. If the gentleman above actually DOES have a
legitimate copy of windows, then Microsoft may and probably will assist him
in fixing his issue. If it's pirated, then that's the reality he has to deal
with.

As has been mentioned elsewhere a ton of people are getting alse positives,
and it is supremely annoying, but it's not the end of the world. If the
software is legitimate, then the user is free to pursue the myriad paths to a
valid solution. If the software is pirated, then... well... it's pirated, and
the trap set by Microsoft just worked.

DanS

Jun 18, 2006, 3:09:00 PM6/18/06
Alias <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in news:OgFwcdViGHA.4140
@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl:

> Robin Walker [MVP] wrote:

> Actually, it can. There are tools that will do the job, although Windows
> Add/Remove isn't one of them. You'd think an "MVP" would know that ...
>
> Alias

Honestly, I think that all the MVP's have a varying degree of knowledge.

Though, some are prone to just spitting forth the scritpted M$ BS that they
would like us to come to believe wholesale.

Michael Jennings

Jun 18, 2006, 3:27:14 PM6/18/06
"DanS" <t.h.i.s....@a.d.e.l.p.h.i.a..n.e.t> wrote in message news:Xns97E69A739...@216.196.97.142...

To get MVP it is necessary to sign an NDA, limiting what may be disclosed.

Rhonda Lea Kirk

Jun 18, 2006, 3:52:08 PM6/18/06
SMiano wrote:
> My apologies if I said something that may have been misconstrued. At
> no point did I make claim to anything in any EULA witnessed by me. I
> merely conveyed what I was told by more than one Microsoft Licensing
> Representatives. I am not a Microsoft employee, Lawyer, or paid
> sponsor. I believe I said OEM Licensing told me that, not the EULA.

It might be a good idea to read what you agreed to.

> I don't make the rule, nor judgement on how someone may percieve the
> rules. I am merely pointing out my anecdotal experience, in an effort
> to shed light on a suspect situation. If the gentleman above actually
> DOES have a legitimate copy of windows, then Microsoft may and
> probably will assist him in fixing his issue. If it's pirated, then
> that's the reality he has to deal with.

But that's not really the issue.

The issue is:

> As has been mentioned elsewhere a ton of people are getting alse
> positives, and it is supremely annoying, but it's not the end of the
> world. If the software is legitimate, then the user is free to pursue
> the myriad paths to a valid solution.

Why should a legitimate user have to stand on his head because the
software doesn't work correctly.

And why should any of us have to prove to Microsoft daily (now
fortnightly) that our software is "genuine"?

And why the need for all the extra information that has nothing to do
with whether the software is "genuine"?

> If the software is pirated,
> then... well... it's pirated, and the trap set by Microsoft just
> worked.

So if you know that one of 10 men is guilty, it's okay to shoot them
all?

Alias

Jun 18, 2006, 7:01:53 PM6/18/06

That explains a lot.

Alias

Rhonda Lea Kirk

Jun 18, 2006, 7:36:06 PM6/18/06
Alias wrote:
> Michael Jennings wrote:

>> To get MVP it is necessary to sign an NDA, limiting what may be
>> disclosed.

> That explains a lot.

Actually, I don't think it really explains much at all.

Doesn't an Non-Disclosure Agreement cover only proprietary information?

I'm pretty sure that's how it's supposed to work.

So the implication is that to continue to receive the award, MVPs need
to be on their Sunday-best behavior. It's toe the line or lose the
perks. I'm not sure I'd give up the ability to say what I think or to
use my own independently acquired knowledge merely for the dollar value
and arguable prestige of an MVP award.

Ken Blake, MVP

Jun 18, 2006, 8:11:51 PM6/18/06
Rhonda Lea Kirk wrote:

> Alias wrote:
>> Michael Jennings wrote:
>
>>> To get MVP it is necessary to sign an NDA, limiting what may be
>>> disclosed.
>
>> That explains a lot.
>
> Actually, I don't think it really explains much at all.
>
> Doesn't an Non-Disclosure Agreement cover only proprietary
> information?
> I'm pretty sure that's how it's supposed to work.

You are correct. There are a few such things we can't talk about, but not
many.

> So the implication is that to continue to receive the award, MVPs need
> to be on their Sunday-best behavior. It's toe the line or lose the
> perks.

Not at all true. Other than not revealing proprietary information, there is
no line to which MVPs are held. Nobody tells us what to say, and MVPs are
free to express their own opinion on anything. For example, I prefer
WordPerfect to Word and I say it in the newsgroups all the time.

> I'm not sure I'd give up the ability to say what I think or to
> use my own independently acquired knowledge

We don't.

> merely for the dollar
> value

There is no monetary remuneration, although there is some software given to
MVPs. If you were to add up the dollar value of what we get and compare to
the number of hours spent each year, we work for peanuts. I, like the rest
of the MVPs, do what we do because we like to help people, not for any
dollar value.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Rhonda Lea Kirk

Jun 18, 2006, 8:26:49 PM6/18/06
Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
> Rhonda Lea Kirk wrote:
>> Alias wrote:

>>> That explains a lot.

>> Actually, I don't think it really explains much at all.

>> Doesn't an Non-Disclosure Agreement cover only proprietary
>> information?
>> I'm pretty sure that's how it's supposed to work.

> You are correct. There are a few such things we can't talk about, but
> not many.

Well, then that negates everything else I wrote.

>> So the implication is that to continue to receive the award, MVPs
>> need to be on their Sunday-best behavior. It's toe the line or lose
>> the perks.

> Not at all true. Other than not revealing proprietary information,
> there is no line to which MVPs are held. Nobody tells us what to say,
> and MVPs are free to express their own opinion on anything. For
> example, I prefer WordPerfect to Word and I say it in the newsgroups
> all the time.

I would've snipped this, but I think it is a point well worth leaving
in.

>> I'm not sure I'd give up the ability to say what I think or to
>> use my own independently acquired knowledge

> We don't.

>> merely for the dollar
>> value

> There is no monetary remuneration, although there is some software
> given to MVPs. If you were to add up the dollar value of what we get
> and compare to the number of hours spent each year, we work for
> peanuts. I, like the rest of the MVPs, do what we do because we like
> to help people, not for any dollar value.

It wasn't intended as an insult, although I suppose it came out that
way, and I sincerely apologize.

My point was that for what you guys get--and I am aware it's not money,
but services and software which have a tangible value--it's not worth
being gagged.

Mr. Jennings implied, however, that the reason none of the MVPs are
telling people how to turn off WGA is that they are not permitted to do
so because of an NDA, and it was to that I responded.

I know that some of you work very hard and give a lot of time to these
groups, and I would not intentionally demean that effort. (There are
others I wouldn't give a dime for, but that's another story.) Still and
all, it was a very disconcerting idea.

Rick Rogers

Jun 18, 2006, 8:42:50 PM6/18/06
FWIW:

Not only are MVP's not "gagged", in fact they are a most vocal group - and
in particular about many of the same issues debated here and elsewhere.
Arguing them here serves little value, but making the point with the
decision makers sometimes helps. I've personally been a part of some rather
vitrolent sessions where many (over 700) MVP's told certain MS executives
exactly what stunk (and trust me, I'm being rather nice in my choice of
words).

As you surmised, the NDA is simply an agreement to not disclose certain
proprietary information disclosed to us. In no way should it be construed to
bind anyone accepting the award to not vocalize their personal opinions. I
certainly don't, nor do those that I associate with. MS only asks that those
in the progam act the same as would be expected of anyone asking for
assistance in a support group.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Rhonda Lea Kirk" <rhon...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Rhonda Lea Kirk

Jun 18, 2006, 8:57:18 PM6/18/06
Rick Rogers wrote:
> FWIW:
>
> Not only are MVP's not "gagged", in fact they are a most vocal group
> - and in particular about many of the same issues debated here and
> elsewhere. Arguing them here serves little value, but making the
> point with the decision makers sometimes helps. I've personally been
> a part of some rather vitrolent sessions where many (over 700) MVP's
> told certain MS executives exactly what stunk (and trust me, I'm
> being rather nice in my choice of words).

<laughing> If someone asked me to make a list of the non-gaggable, you
would be near the top, Mr. Rogers.

And I'm glad to know that even if many of you do not voice it here, you
are speaking up where it counts.

Shenan Stanley

Jun 18, 2006, 10:18:23 PM6/18/06
Rhonda Lea Kirk wrote:
<snip>

> Mr. Jennings implied, however, that the reason none of the MVPs are
> telling people how to turn off WGA is that they are not permitted
> to do so because of an NDA, and it was to that I responded.
<snip>

Not only are MVPs allowed to express their opinions - many of us *have*
posted the ways to turn off the WGA several times.. or at least links to it.
It's not like that information is hidden at all.. I figure if it is able to
be found in a Google Search - it's fair game. If someone is not as adept as
I may have become at such searches - then sometimes I provide said link for
them.

I know I have - at least - posted a link several times in these newgroups
that has at least 15 different methods one can try to "counter" WGA.. The
link below:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/04/26/disable-and-remove-windows-genuine-advantage-notifications-nag-screen/

So Mr. Jennings - if such a thing was implied - was blatantly incorrect and
a Google Groups search would show that.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Ken Blake, MVP

Jun 18, 2006, 11:02:32 PM6/18/06
Rhonda Lea Kirk wrote:

> Ken Blake, MVP wrote:

>> Not at all true. Other than not revealing proprietary information,
>> there is no line to which MVPs are held. Nobody tells us what to say,
>> and MVPs are free to express their own opinion on anything. For
>> example, I prefer WordPerfect to Word and I say it in the newsgroups
>> all the time.
>
> I would've snipped this, but I think it is a point well worth leaving
> in.
>
>>> I'm not sure I'd give up the ability to say what I think or to
>>> use my own independently acquired knowledge
>
>> We don't.
>
>>> merely for the dollar
>>> value
>
>> There is no monetary remuneration, although there is some software
>> given to MVPs. If you were to add up the dollar value of what we get
>> and compare to the number of hours spent each year, we work for
>> peanuts. I, like the rest of the MVPs, do what we do because we like
>> to help people, not for any dollar value.
>
> It wasn't intended as an insult, although I suppose it came out that
> way, and I sincerely apologize.

No, no apology necessary. I didn't take it as an insult, but I just wanted
to clarify the situation.

> My point was that for what you guys get--and I am aware it's not
> money, but services and software which have a tangible value--it's
> not worth being gagged.
>
> Mr. Jennings implied, however, that the reason none of the MVPs are
> telling people how to turn off WGA is that they are not permitted to
> do so because of an NDA, and it was to that I responded.

MVPs are never not "not permitted" to do anything except to not reveal
confidential information that is privy to us as MVPs, and there's not a
whole lot of that. There is nothing that I have ever been explicitly told
can't be told to others, except an occasional piece of information that I
know a few days before official release and won't be released publicly for a
short while. In fact, there's very little I know that everyone doesn't know.
If you think Microsoft tells us a lot, you'd probably be very surprised at
how little it actually is.

As far as how to turn off WGA, I haven't posted any information about how to
turn it off simply because I don't know much about it. No MVP knows
everything, and we all have our areas of specialization. I personally
haven't run into problems with WGA, know little about it, and don't know how
to turn it off. And nobody at Microsoft has ever even suggested to me that I
be mute on this subject. And for the record, despite my not knowing a whole
lot about it, from what I do know, I'm far from crazy about the whole idea
of WGA.

> I know that some of you work very hard and give a lot of time to these
> groups, and I would not intentionally demean that effort.

Thank you. Such kind words are always appreciated.

Michael Jennings

Jun 18, 2006, 11:31:31 PM6/18/06
"Shenan Stanley" <newsh...@gmail.com> wrote in message news:elFYaa0k...@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...

> Rhonda Lea Kirk wrote:
> <snip>
>> Mr. Jennings implied, however, that the reason none of the MVPs are
>> telling people how to turn off WGA is that they are not permitted
>> to do so because of an NDA, and it was to that I responded.
> <snip>
>
> Not only are MVPs allowed to express their opinions - many of us *have*
> posted the ways to turn off the WGA several times.. or at least links to it.
> It's not like that information is hidden at all.. I figure if it is able to
> be found in a Google Search - it's fair game. If someone is not as adept as
> I may have become at such searches - then sometimes I provide said link for
> them.
>
> I know I have - at least - posted a link several times in these newgroups
> that has at least 15 different methods one can try to "counter" WGA.. The
> link below:
>
> http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/04/26/disable-and-remove-windows-genuine-advantage-notifications-nag-screen/
>
> So Mr. Jennings - if such a thing was implied - was blatantly incorrect and
> a Google Groups search would show that.

Thanks for the smidgen of doubt. Robin has been stating that KB905474
can not be uninstalled. That is a correct statement politically, but not factually.

Freudi has a small program to get rid of Notifications, aber selbst erstellten
Uninstaller KB905474-Uninstaller.exe requires trust if the bare download
link is posted, or a little German if the page with the link to it is posted:
http://patch-info.de/WinXP/2006/06/07/05-47-32.html

The problem is that KB905474 is kind of voluntary-mandatory, and since
some MVPs are speaking like propagandists, I'm not sure where the lines
are drawn with respect to advice to people who want to uninstall it.

I had problems answering the kids who wanted to know how to get rid
of the parental controls in IE, also - don't spill the beans vs. here's how.

Michael Jennings

Jun 18, 2006, 11:48:17 PM6/18/06
"Rhonda Lea Kirk" <rhon...@gmail.com> wrote in message news:4fmbjuF...@individual.net...

> Rick Rogers wrote:
>> FWIW:
>>
>> Not only are MVP's not "gagged", in fact they are a most vocal group
>> - and in particular about many of the same issues debated here and
>> elsewhere. Arguing them here serves little value, but making the
>> point with the decision makers sometimes helps. I've personally been
>> a part of some rather vitrolent sessions where many (over 700) MVP's
>> told certain MS executives exactly what stunk (and trust me, I'm
>> being rather nice in my choice of words).
>
> <laughing> If someone asked me to make a list of the non-gaggable, you
> would be near the top, Mr. Rogers.
>
> And I'm glad to know that even if many of you do not voice it here, you
> are speaking up where it counts.

Jennings is very suspicious and reads update EULAs before installing
strange updates. He regards Microsoft as having abused the trust users
placed in it. He likes to read Philip K. Dick. Be careful. Watch out.
If you don't think they're out to get you, you're living in a fantasy.

Ottmar Freudenberger

Jun 19, 2006, 12:27:52 AM6/19/06
"Michael Jennings" <meta...@gmail.com> schrieb:

> Freudi has a small program to get rid of Notifications,

FWIW, I'm *no* MVP.
And yes, you can simply unpack "my" KB905474-uninstaller.exe e.g.
using WinRAR and have a look into the batch files. It's not more
or lese than this.

But we may have to differentiate the WGA program as such and the
"famous" WGA Notification tool. The latter is the one not only I'm
critisizing, especially how that "tool" has been and is introduced
by MS. Forcing a "test" tool as an critical update is far, far away
from "trustworthy computing" - despite from the problems users have
in installing that (updated) tool (almost not be aware of what they
are really trying to install).

I really urge you and everyone else who feels to comment on the WGA
porgram as such and especially KB905474 to post into the WGA web
forums (http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/).

Bye,
Freudi

P.S.: Followup to microsoft.public.windowsupdate set. Followups to
this posting will show up in the Windows Update newsgroup only.

Rhonda Lea Kirk

Jun 19, 2006, 8:04:22 AM6/19/06
Ottmar Freudenberger wrote:

> But we may have to differentiate the WGA program as such and the
> "famous" WGA Notification tool. The latter is the one not only I'm
> critisizing, especially how that "tool" has been and is introduced
> by MS. Forcing a "test" tool as an critical update is far, far away
> from "trustworthy computing" - despite from the problems users have
> in installing that (updated) tool (almost not be aware of what they
> are really trying to install).

Totally agreed.

I never paid much attention to WGA until May 31 when I downloaded the
Notification tool and thereafter noticed my computer was phoning home to
Microsoft without any input from me.

It's odd. I blocked it with my firewall, and then I disabled it using
HijackThis. Thereafter I received a notification at WU that the file is
downloaded, but not installed. I chose to hide it, and although I get
the stock message that I'm missing an update and my computer might be at
risk, I have not been refused any other updates that I know of.

I have not done anything to disable the other WGA downloads, because
unlike this one, I don't consider them spyware.

Rhonda Lea Kirk

Jun 19, 2006, 9:09:03 AM6/19/06
Michael Jennings wrote:
> "Rhonda Lea Kirk" <rhon...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Rick Rogers wrote:
>>> FWIW:
>>>
>>> Not only are MVP's not "gagged", in fact they are a most vocal group
>>> - and in particular about many of the same issues debated here and
>>> elsewhere. Arguing them here serves little value, but making the
>>> point with the decision makers sometimes helps. I've personally been
>>> a part of some rather vitrolent sessions where many (over 700) MVP's
>>> told certain MS executives exactly what stunk (and trust me, I'm
>>> being rather nice in my choice of words).
>>
>> <laughing> If someone asked me to make a list of the non-gaggable,
>> you would be near the top, Mr. Rogers.
>>
>> And I'm glad to know that even if many of you do not voice it here,
>> you are speaking up where it counts.
>
> Jennings is very suspicious and reads update EULAs before installing
> strange updates.

I read all my EULAs too, Mr. Jennings. In the case of WGA, however, I
was not presented with a EULA to read.

> He regards Microsoft as having abused the trust users
> placed in it.

This, i think is true.

> He likes to read Philip K. Dick.

I was reading him long before his work made it to the big screen, and...

> Be careful. Watch out.
> If you don't think they're out to get you, you're living in a fantasy.

...I'm not buying it.

I don't really care so much what Microsoft--or anyone--knows about me,
because my life just isn't so exciting as to be a secret. I suppose if I
were a criminal or employed by the CIA, I would be a bit more worried,
but I'm neither, so it doesn't matter.

The point of all this--to me--is that in defiance of its own definition
of spyware, i.e.:

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/msft/analysis.mspx

...Microsoft tried to slip one by me. I have complained about this here
in these groups and in the WGA web forum, but my most satisfying moment
was when I submitted wgatray.exe to the Windows Defender team as a false
negative:

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/support/reportspyware.mspx

I realize it didn't do anything, but it felt good.

Lem

Jun 19, 2006, 12:47:32 PM6/19/06

Rhonda --
FWIW, KB905474 will "un-hide" each time MS posts a new and improved
version of the WGA Notification tool.

Rhonda Lea Kirk

Jun 19, 2006, 3:34:45 PM6/19/06
Lem wrote:
> Rhonda Lea Kirk wrote:
<snipped>

>> I have not done anything to disable the other WGA downloads, because
>> unlike this one, I don't consider them spyware.

> Rhonda --

> FWIW, KB905474 will "un-hide" each time MS posts a new and improved
> version of the WGA Notification tool.

I know. :) But it's good to keep mentioning it, so that people remember
and disable it.

I have automatic updates set because I use OneCare, and in the absence
of that setting, it flips out, and I have to live with a red icon.

I compromise by checking Microsoft Update regularly to see what's new.
If it's all good, I let Automatic Updates do its thing.

Of course, if I slip up, the OneCare firewall (ironic, isn't it, that
it's a Microsoft product?) won't let it out, and then I'll just use HJT
to kill it again.

DanS

Jun 20, 2006, 3:29:57 PM6/20/06
"Shenan Stanley" <newsh...@gmail.com> wrote in

> Rhonda Lea Kirk wrote:
><snip>

<SNIP_II)

> Not only are MVPs allowed to express their opinions - many of us
> *have* posted the ways to turn off the WGA several times.. or at least
> links to it. It's not like that information is hidden at all.. I
> figure if it is able to be found in a Google Search - it's fair game.
> If someone is not as adept as I may have become at such searches -
> then sometimes I provide said link for them.

(I guess I'll chime in at this part of the thread for no real reason.)

That is a great attitude, as how it should be.

My original post in this thread.....

'....some are prone to just spitting forth the scritpted M$ BS that they
would like us to come to believe wholesale.'

So the biggest thing about the whole situation is NOT just the comment
from above.

I'm not sure if it was this thread or another, but a question was asked
about removing WGA and whatever MVP replied.....'It can not be removed.'

THAT, my friends, is the problem. It has been proven, talked about,
argued about, etc. (to death none the less), yet this one person STILL
replies with the M$ propaganda.

Message has been deleted

Alias

Jun 20, 2006, 6:02:05 PM6/20/06
Leythos wrote:
> In article <Xns97E89E0E4...@216.196.97.142>,
> t.h.i.s....@a.d.e.l.p.h.i.a..n.e.t says...

>> I'm not sure if it was this thread or another, but a question was asked
>> about removing WGA and whatever MVP replied.....'It can not be removed.'
>>
>> THAT, my friends, is the problem. It has been proven, talked about,
>> argued about, etc. (to death none the less), yet this one person STILL
>> replies with the M$ propaganda.
>
> Are you talking about WGA or WGA Notifications?

They're the same sh!t with a different smell.

Alias

DanS

Jun 20, 2006, 7:25:04 PM6/20/06
Leythos <vo...@nowhere.lan> wrote in news:YDYlg.76955$YI5.22834
@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:

> In article <Xns97E89E0E4...@216.196.97.142>,
> t.h.i.s....@a.d.e.l.p.h.i.a..n.e.t says...

>> I'm not sure if it was this thread or another, but a question was
asked
>> about removing WGA and whatever MVP replied.....'It can not be
removed.'

>> THAT, my friends, is the problem. It has been proven, talked about,
>> argued about, etc. (to death none the less), yet this one person STILL
>> replies with the M$ propaganda.
>

> Are you talking about WGA or WGA Notifications?

The whole deal, it doesn't matter.

My problem with WGA is not WGA itself. It was the way M$ deployed the
'WGA Notifications' portion that I don't agree with. M$ described WGA an
'Opt-In' program early-on. That should mean there's an easy 'Opt-Out'
option.

The M$ response to innocent people that did not know the XP version on
the PC they just bought, either second-hand, or from seemingly reliable
computer shops, who have no recourse when these places are no longer
around, is to pay M$ $100 for XP Home 'Genuine Advantage Kit' or $150 for
the Pro version. Hell, you can get lower prices from places online.

People that willingly have and use pirated versions of XP are not
bothered by these annoyances.

So what is WGA really doing ?

Message has been deleted

DanS

Jun 20, 2006, 7:55:03 PM6/20/06

>> So what is WGA really doing ?
>

> But WGA doesn't do anything about Pirated copies, it's the
> Notification service that seems to be the problem.

Yes, and the people getting hit with notifications are the one's that were
un-aware of the status of their XP license.

Tom Willett

Jun 20, 2006, 8:24:52 PM6/20/06
It's also doing false *positives* with legal people, just like WGA is doing.

Tom

"DanS" <t.h.i.s....@a.d.e.l.p.h.i.a..n.e.t> wrote in message

kurttrail

Jun 22, 2006, 2:33:11 AM6/22/06
SMiano wrote:

> My apologies if I said something that may have been misconstrued. At
> no point did I make claim to anything in any EULA witnessed by me. I
> merely conveyed what I was told by more than one Microsoft Licensing
> Representatives. I am not a Microsoft employee, Lawyer, or paid
> sponsor. I believe I said OEM Licensing told me that, not the EULA.

Nobody agreed to follow the BS of a OEM Licensing Rep. Their CLAIM
isn't worth crap.

> I don't make the rule, nor judgement on how someone may percieve the
> rules. I am merely pointing out my anecdotal experience, in an effort
> to shed light on a suspect situation. If the gentleman above actually
> DOES have a legitimate copy of windows, then Microsoft may and
> probably will assist him in fixing his issue. If it's pirated, then
> that's the reality he has to deal with.
>

> As has been mentioned elsewhere a ton of people are getting alse
> positives, and it is supremely annoying, but it's not the end of the
> world. If the software is legitimate, then the user is free to pursue

> the myriad paths to a valid solution. If the software is pirated,

> then... well... it's pirated, and the trap set by Microsoft just
> worked.

The real solution would be to dump this malware, not having to jump
through hoops because MS's copy-protection is flawed.

--
Peace!
Kurt Kirsch
Self-anointed Moderator
http://microscum.com
"It'll soon shake your Windows
And rattle your walls
For the times they are a-changin'."

David Bennett

Jun 29, 2006, 4:01:01 AM6/29/06
It is really easy to solve this with a simple phone call to ms support. Took
me about 5 minutes...

Good luck!
David.

ÂșAliasÂș

Jun 29, 2006, 6:54:09 AM6/29/06

And how, exactly, did the "solve" it?

Alias

Noel Paton

Jul 2, 2006, 6:48:01 AM7/2/06

"Haro" <Ha...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Not to mention that the fact that microsoft's WGA tool may eventually
> disable
> possibly illegal copies of Windows, this in it self could allow hackers to
> bypass microsofts control over the WGA tool and cause widespread windows
> XP
> failures. That would cause massive disruptions and even big brother might
> have a nightmare.
> Basically, its too risky as a single security flaw could open the door for
> virtual power switch on all WGA patched computers.

MS have denied categorically any capability to do this, either now or in the
future.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Alias

Jul 2, 2006, 7:00:43 AM7/2/06
Noel Paton wrote:

> "Haro" <Ha...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Not to mention that the fact that microsoft's WGA tool may eventually
>> disable
>> possibly illegal copies of Windows, this in it self could allow
>> hackers to
>> bypass microsofts control over the WGA tool and cause widespread
>> windows XP
>> failures. That would cause massive disruptions and even big brother might
>> have a nightmare.
>> Basically, its too risky as a single security flaw could open the door
>> for a
>> virtual power switch on all WGA patched computers.
>
> MS have denied categorically any capability to do this, either now or in
> the future.

And Microsoft *always* tells the truth like saying that WGA is a
"critical update".

Alias

Noel Paton

Jul 2, 2006, 7:25:54 AM7/2/06

"Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.wga> wrote in message

<chuckle>
I know, I know.... I totally agree that WGA should NOT have been 'pushed' as
a Beta, and should NOT be 'pushed' as a Critical Update. IMHO, Critical
Updates should be limited to those with security implications for the user -
not revenue implications for MS.

They have also stated that come final EOL for XP, they will disable
Activation (and presumably WGA also).
Since XPSP3 is planned for the second half of next year, that isn't going to
be for a few years yet.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/servicepacks.mspx
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh%3Ben-us%3Blifecycle&LN=EN-US&x=20&y=10
(that's going to be a fun time - I believe that SP1 for Vista was planned
for about the same time?? This may have slipped back to early 2008, though.)
I would expect that WGA (and IE7) will be part of SP3 - so you can work out
for yourself the consequences in terms of support.
It may be this that the various web articles are referring to when talking
about WGA being a 'required download'??

Alias

Jul 2, 2006, 7:58:36 AM7/2/06

If SP3 has WGA, I won't be installing it. I have no use for IE in any of
its flavors as I use Firefox. The only time I used to use IE was to go
to Windows update because you can't go there with Firefox. Once I
reinstall Windows to get rid of WGA completely, I will set AU to
"download but let me decide when and what to install" and never install
WGA again. I know my copy of Windows is genuine and I don't need spyware
on my machine to confirm it.

Alias

Michael Jennings

Jul 2, 2006, 12:17:09 PM7/2/06
"Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.wga> wrote in message news:OxOpg.2806$Od2....@news.ono.com...

> Once I reinstall Windows to get rid of WGA completely, I will set AU to
> "download but let me decide when and what to install" and never install
> WGA again. I know my copy of Windows is genuine and I don't need
> spyware on my machine to confirm it.

In that case Search will reveal a bounty of WGA on your computer
waiting to be installed. If you don't want that, set AU not to download -
just to check and tell you when updates are available, or turn it off.

Alias

Jul 2, 2006, 12:25:28 PM7/2/06

Good tip, thanks.

Alias