Re: Windows update fails WindowsUpdate_80070005 WindowsUpdate_dt000

MowGreen [MVP]

Apr 19, 2007, 4:31:55 PM4/19/07
Juan,

Who's Eddie and what is his problem ? We have no idea whom and what you
are referring to.

0x80070005 is an ACCESS DENIED error, usually related to a Permissions
issue in the registry.

When you inform us of just what your's and Eddie's problem is, then
perhaps someone can assist you.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Juan wrote:

> I'm having the same problem that Eddie have, i don't know what to do..!

MowGreen [MVP]

Aug 17, 2007, 5:29:28 AM8/17/07
Get the update from HP's web site. SAVE it, close the browser and any
other open programs.
*RIGHT* click the downloaded driver and choose 'Run as administrator'
Enter the password or click Continue.
Did that get it installed ?

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Glenn wrote:

> I'm having the same error code w/ trying to install update for HP 2207 wide
> LCD screen monitor

MC

Oct 5, 2007, 4:17:03 PM10/5/07
Gents,

I'm having the same error. I have no HP software. I am thee only operator
on this computer (I have administrator's rights).

Permissions registry. I have a store-bought copy of MS Office Premium. The
only other programs installed are those that came with the computer (Sony
Vaio).

steve

Oct 24, 2007, 11:14:00 PM10/24/07
I'm getting the same 80070005 error as these guys while trying to do a
windows update. I can't update my vista software at all, and this specific
error code does not show up in help to offer any solutions.

stossmann

Nov 2, 2007, 6:06:52 PM11/2/07

I IMed HP Tech Support. . . Here is the solution, it's relatively
simple and more importantly, it works!

1. Disable Windows Update
a. Click on start
b. Click on all programs
c. Click on accessories
d. Click on Run
e. Type services.msc and press ok
f. Right click on "Windows Update"
g. Click on stop (Windows Update is now disabled)
2. Rename Software Distribution folder
a. Navigate to: C:/Windows/
b. Find the folder named: “SoftwareDistribution”
c. Rename that folder to something like “SoftwareDistribution.old”
d. Create a new folder called “SoftwareDistribution”
3. Enable Windows Update
a. Click on start
b. Click on all programs
c. Click on accessories
d. Click on Run
e. Type services.msc and press ok
f. Right click on windows update
g. Click on start
If you are unable to find Software Distribution Folder, follow these
steps before #2 above.
1. From the explorer window press the Alt key to view the file menu.
2. Click Tools
3. Select Folder Options
4. Select the View tab
5. Select “Show hidden files and folders”
6. Remove the selection from “Hide protected operating system files”
7. Click OK

Restart your PC and you should be good to go!

--
stossmann

Minigoliath

Jan 2, 2008, 7:50:12 PM1/2/08

#1>Problem: 2 failed updates
a. Update for *Vista* - KB 942763
b. Definition Update for *Windows Defender *- KB915597 (Definition:
1.24.5054.0) (actually one of the earlier definition belonging to
KB915597 also failed)

#2>Error codes:
Code 80070643 and Code 80070005

#3>Computer Information: Toshiba laptop Core 2 Duo 2GB RAM 2Ghz Mobile
Intel (R) 845 GM/GU - Windows Vista Ultimate - Windows Defender
Pre-installed before purchase (can NOT un-install using Add/Remove ~ a
very annoying spyware-like behavior) - Windows Update Activated

#4>Installed programs: Comodo Firewall Version 3 Vista compatible, AVG
Free Antivirus, Spyware Blaster, CCleaner, no HP related software.

#5>Actions taken: searched for help in Microsoft Knowledge Database,
Microsoft Online Help, Windows Update Troubleshooting Wizard,
Stossman's reply = all failed

#6>Thank you once for reading, twice for replying, and thrice for a
working solution.

--
Minigoliath
Minigoliath's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=38748

http://forums.techarena.in

Minigoliath

Jan 2, 2008, 10:13:18 PM1/2/08

Minigoliath;3426580 Wrote:
> #1>Problem: 2 failed updates
> a. Update for *Vista* - KB 942763
> -b. Definition Update for *Windows Defender *- KB915597 (Definition:

> 1.24.5054.0) (actually one of the earlier definition belonging to
> KB915597 also failed)-: *problem b just solved thru manual updating!*
>
> #2>Error codes:
> Code 80070643 -and *Code 80070005-(problem b solved)*

> #3>Computer Information: Toshiba laptop Core 2 Duo 2GB RAM 2Ghz Mobile
> Intel (R) 845 GM/GU - Windows Vista Ultimate - Windows Defender
> Pre-installed before purchase (can NOT un-install using Add/Remove ~ a
> very annoying spyware-like behavior) - Windows Update Activated
>
> #4>Installed programs: Comodo Firewall Version 3 Vista compatible, AVG
> Free Antivirus, Spyware Blaster, CCleaner, no HP related software.
>
> #5>Actions taken: searched for help in Microsoft Knowledge Database,
> Microsoft Online Help, Windows Update Troubleshooting Wizard,
> Stossman's reply, manual updating = all failed

> #6>Thank you once for reading, twice for replying, and thrice for a
> working solution.

*Problem b is solved thru manual updating Windows Defender*

Kar

Nov 19, 2008, 2:43:00 AM11/19/08
I tried doing what you said but it didn't work, I still can't update my pc.
What else can I do??

Leone

Jan 21, 2009, 2:00:12 AM1/21/09

can anyone help me on this problem??

--
Leone

Selina

May 18, 2009, 6:17:01 PM5/18/09
I tried these steps and still the same problem don't know what to do next.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

May 18, 2009, 6:50:48 PM5/18/09
To avoid confusion, please begin a new thread about your specific problems.
State your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP2)
in your first post.

TaurArian

May 19, 2009, 5:07:51 AM5/19/09
Selina, don't hijack old threads,

One of the most common causes of this error code is the Anti Virus and Anti
Spyware software programs running on the computer.

You can try turning them off and then try the updates again. Keep the
firewall on though.

Also see:

Error message when you use Windows Update or Microsoft Update Web sites to
install updates: 0x80070005
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968003/

0x80070005 - Permissions issue. You can reset registry and file ACLs to
their Default state by following the directions here:
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/09/04/739820.aspx

If that doesn't assist, please start a new thread stating what update you're
trying to install, details about your computer for example, what operating
system etc.

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

Selina wrote:
:: I tried these steps and still the same problem don't know what to do

cafcaf

Aug 12, 2009, 10:09:01 PM8/12/09
Could you please explain it more open? I'd tried the steps that "stossmann"
suggested but nothing improved so far.

"Jalaj" wrote:

> THanks a ton. I didn't do all of above steps but with your inputs I found
> out that my software distribution folder was marked as hidden and readonly.
> when I removed both of above attributes It worked like charm.
> THanks much

SilverBelt

Sep 14, 2009, 12:54:01 PM9/14/09
I've followed, a number of times, the steps you provide and continue to
receive the 80070005 error. I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium on an HP
Pavilion m9250f quad core and the HP w2408h monitor.

Sam98903

Oct 29, 2009, 1:25:01 AM10/29/09
Thank you so much! Mine was read only and I switch it off the update worked
just perfectly

gozali22

Nov 29, 2009, 2:06:01 PM11/29/09
I have the same problem but i use windows 7 how can i find the folder
SoftwareDistribution in windows7 ?

thanks...

Message has been deleted

patrick...@gmail.com

Jul 10, 2013, 10:06:01 AM7/10/13
this one doesnt work for stosss. i've followed many fixes and no dice. thanks for the help in adavance!!

sp.vijay...@gmail.com

Jun 23, 2015, 6:51:57 PM6/23/15
follow the below steps

1. stop the "windows update" service (services.msc)
2. delete all the contents inside the folder "C:\windows\softwaredistribution"
3. Restart the "windows update" service with automatic option.
4. run the windows update in control panel.

Regards,
Vijay B.Girija

lobnaelb...@gmail.com

Jan 16, 2018, 8:16:33 PM1/16/18