Apparent failure of Windows Update

Alaric

Jan 23, 2017, 7:34:26 AM1/23/17
I have an HP Envy laptop running Windows 8.1. I only use it when travelling
so it is switched off a lot of the time and was last updated on 27th
October, 2016. A few days ago I booted it and saw a screen message urging me
to search for updates, which I then did. However, it searched for hours with
no result.
I ran the trouble shooting procedure as Administrator but that did no good.
When I click on “View update history” it shows that I have never downloaded
or installed any updates ever. However, when I click on Installed Updates it
shows all the updates I have installed since I bought the machine in 2014.
I am at a loss as to what I can do to get things back to “normal”. So, if
anyone can advise me as to what action needs to be taken to sort this
problem out I shall be grateful.

Alaric