missing the catdb file in catroot2

אמיר עדות

Nov 23, 2008, 3:18:01 AM11/23/08
I am working on win 08 server x64 bit.
All of windows updates are failling to install. I get event id's 257 and
491. I have followed the white paper "System Catalog Database Integrity" from
technet. I recreated the CATROOT2 folder, but after starting "cryptsvc"
service and try to download and install updates again, the catdb was not
created and the updates are still failling.
How can I make/force the server to rebuilled the catdb file?

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Nov 23, 2008, 1:43:49 PM11/23/08
Is the machine updating via Windows (Automatic) Update or WSUS, אמיר עדות ?

Is this a sudden, new problem or an ongoing one?

Support for Windows Update:

For home users, no-charge support is available by contacting your local
Microsoft subsidiary. There is no-charge for support calls that are
associated with security updates.

your usual support contacts.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

אמיר עדות

Nov 24, 2008, 1:46:03 AM11/24/08
The machine is updating via WSUS, but I also tried to get the updates from
Windows updates with success, but when I try to install them I got the same
thing (event id's 491,257). I even downloaded singel updates and tried to
install them manually without any luck...
This is a new problem (last two weeks).

Thanks
Amir,

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Nov 24, 2008, 1:59:50 AM11/24/08
Repost:

> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=6527

...and/or run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting your
hijackthis log to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_Removal_and_Prevention:_Introduction
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?board=10.0,

אמיר עדות wrote:
> The machine is updating via WSUS, but I also tried to get the updates from
> Windows updates with success, but when I try to install them I got the
> same
> thing (event id's 491,257). I even downloaded singel updates and tried to
> install them manually without any luck...
> This is a new problem (last two weeks).

אמיר עדות

Nov 24, 2008, 3:24:10 AM11/24/08
I resolved the problem by installing the new agent of winupdate
"WindowsUpdateAgent30-x64.exe".
After restart the catdb file was created and finally I can install the
updates...

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Repost:
> > Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
> > https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=6527
>

> ....and/or run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting your

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Nov 24, 2008, 10:56:05 AM11/24/08
Thanks for your feedback. If Automatic Updates had been enabled, the newest
version of WUAgent.exe would have been installed automatically and silently.
See
http://blogs.technet.com/mu/archive/2008/07/03/upcoming-update-to-windows-update.aspx

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

whitesu...@gmail.com

Feb 9, 2017, 1:52:25 PM2/9/17
Did you ever figure out how to recreate the catdb folder> Yeah 9 years later haha