Windows Explorer Behaving Badly

BobG

Apr 12, 2006, 8:58:01 AM4/12/06
My Win XP Professional machine is completely up-to-date but yesterday's
Windows Updates appear to have left a problem. I'm getting numerous
"non-responsive" instances of Windows Explorer and have never, ever had this
problem until now.

Example: Simply opening a Windows Explorer window on My Documents,
minimizing, and then returning later finds a non-responsive window.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your time and energy!

UK@discussions.microsoft.com Adrian UK

Apr 12, 2006, 10:18:01 AM4/12/06

"BobG" wrote:

Sorry can't really help but can confirm there is a problem here !

I have 2 machines running XP HOME SP2....Kerio 4.2.2 Firewall........both
were running perfectly until the latest updates were applied.

Both machines were rendered useless this morning and I have had to perform a
Restore to make them usable!

Every time any program or application was started Kerio threw up a warning
dialog......... VERIFY CLASS ID (verclsid .exe) is trying to
start....allow/deny.

Explorer continually froze,IE7 Beta 2 worked to a fashion BUT typing a URL
in the search bar and click go ...nothing happens ...could call URL's from
favourites but each time a url was called or the back button was clicked
the same warning box came up..........Called Thunderbird to read email and
Spybot S+D opened.

Every menu button clicked on produced either a hung/frozen response OR a
warning from the firewall that VERIFY CLASS ID was trying to start, allowing
this and creating a rule for the firewall did nothing to help.

A new file verclsid.exe -28F52AD2.pf was loaded with these updates is this
the problem ,is there a conflict of some kind?

I tried removing the updates one at a time but could not spend any more time
with this problem and cured it by Restoring both systems.

MAP

Apr 12, 2006, 11:21:52 AM4/12/06

Seems to be related update KB908351 if it shows in "add/remove then
uninstall it and reboot (some say that it does not show), if it doesn't then
do a system restore as Adrian UK has done.

There are many posts reguarding this update in other newsgroups, MS must
have had a trainiee write this update. LOL

--
Mike Pawlak

Andrea Doerges

Apr 12, 2006, 11:40:18 AM4/12/06
MAP wrote:

> Seems to be related update KB908351 if it shows in "add/remove then
> uninstall it and reboot (some say that it does not show), if it doesn't then
> do a system restore as Adrian UK has done.
>
> There are many posts reguarding this update in other newsgroups, MS must
> have had a trainiee write this update. LOL

I think it's KB908531, at least that's the one that I could see on my
computer and uninstalling it seems to have cured the problem. Hope that
was all there's to it.

Andrea

als.am...@gmail.com

Apr 12, 2006, 11:50:43 AM4/12/06
Same problem as BobG's here. Every program that needs to scan the
directory structure becomes unresponsive. That means that, for example,
"save as" doesn't work :(

KB908351 is not the add/remove list.

System restore? How?

Is there an official way to correct this?

As it is, the machine is practically useless ... Definitively not
LOLing ...

off_center

Apr 12, 2006, 12:45:02 PM4/12/06
Im having the same issue at this point. Every time you go to open a file in
word, excel, or internet explorer. the process verclsid pop up in taskmgr.
you stop the process everything starts to work untill you change websites or
open a file.

at this point i just renamed all instances of verclsid.exe on the system and
it is working.

Aldaroho

Apr 12, 2006, 12:46:02 PM4/12/06
Go to Add Remove Programs and check the Show Updates box at the top of the
page. Scroll down and you should see all Hotfixes and other Windows updates.

If not, go to online to Windows Update (or Microsoft Updates) and click
Review Update History to see if it was applied.

To do System Restore, right click My Computer, click Properties, click the
System Restore tab; or click Start then Help and Support - you'll see it.

als.am...@gmail.com

Apr 12, 2006, 2:51:23 PM4/12/06
Aldaroho,

>Go to Add Remove Programs and check the Show Updates box at the top of the
page. Scroll down and you should see all Hotfixes and other Windows
updates.

Thanks. Found it.

When I tried to remove KB908351 I was warned of dependencies, so I
removed, in that order, KB911562, KB912812 and KB908531.

Everything is back to normal now (except that I had to remove the fix
to the IE security problem ...).

Thank you, and to all the others who helped.

RK

Apr 12, 2006, 4:03:01 PM4/12/06
I was having the same problem. I tried to remove KB908351, but didn't see it
listed. However, I found a KB908531 that was installed with the last batch
of updates. I removed it and it fixed the problem.

MowGreen [MVP]

Apr 12, 2006, 5:09:53 PM4/12/06
STRONGLY suggest that you reinstall KB912812 as there are proof of
concepts out on the internet for this vulnerability.
You can manually download it from the link on this page :
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS06-013.mspx

For XP SP1 :
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=033C41E1-2B36-4696-987A-099FC57E0129

For XP SP2 :
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=F05FFB31-E6B4-4771-81F1-4ACCEBF72133

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2006]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgottten
================

DaveTR

Apr 12, 2006, 6:58:02 PM4/12/06
I'm running XP Home with Norton Internet Security. Since these updates I
can't close Windows Explorer and Norton is crashing and freezing the machine
during a virus scan. I've backed off all of the updates by restoring to
Monday's checkpoint and everything is now OK.
--
DaveTR

Monsterdog

Apr 12, 2006, 9:16:02 PM4/12/06
MowGreen,
I'm curious why I would want to install an update that renders my machine
unusable. It seems to me that a hacker would not completely disable my
computer if he had compromised it. From what I've read, it also sounds like
I would actually have to do something to allow my system to be compromised.

If my assumptions are true I would think the prudent thing to do is to:
1) use a non-administrator account
2) use a hardware firewall
3) don't click on stuff unless you know what it is, or need it badly enough
to assume the risk
4) wait for a patched patch from Microsoft

Sincerely, LDB
RULE 1 - MAKE BACKUPS
RULE 2 - TEST BACKUPS (ie. RESTORE)
RULE 3 - Don't let your computer do anything you didn't tell it to do

Ottmar Freudenberger

Apr 13, 2006, 3:13:08 AM4/13/06
"DaveTR" <Dav...@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

> I'm running XP Home with Norton Internet Security. Since these updates I
> can't close Windows Explorer and Norton is crashing and freezing the machine
> during a virus scan.

Isn't that by default with NIS/NAV installed? <duck> - SCNR.

Honestly: Do you have by any chance a HP Scanner connected to your
machine and the HP Scanner software installed?

Bye,
Freudi

Bruce B

Apr 13, 2006, 4:47:02 AM4/13/06
My symptom was the Windows Explorer --- File display didn't work and you had
to kill W.E. with Task Mgr. Also, the "verclsid.exe" process started every
time I opened W.E. KB908531 is under Security Bulletin MS06-015

Removing KB908531 and ignoring the two related fixes worked great for me!
--
Bruce B

DaveTR

Apr 13, 2006, 6:01:02 AM4/13/06
I have an HP PSC all-in-one which includes a scanner and the associated
software. When I started my machine this morning the automatic updates
started and re-installed the offending module. I've had to uninstall it again.
--
DaveTR

Adrian UK

Apr 13, 2006, 6:36:02 AM4/13/06

"Ottmar Freudenberger" wrote:

I had this problem on my sons machine.........there is NO printer or scanner
of any kind on it.

My neighbour has 2 machines ,both failed to work with this update
loaded,they do not have HP equipment either.

Boz40

Apr 13, 2006, 9:01:02 AM4/13/06
I have a number of computers that have HP scanners & software on them and yes
the update did effect them. I also had MS Office on those computers. The PC's
I have running Open Office were not effected. Could this be a Clash with MS
office?

Boz40

Apr 13, 2006, 9:56:01 AM4/13/06
I have some PC's that were not effected after the update. They have Outlook
2003 and HP scanners and software on them. They did their updates on the 13th
Thursday am.
The PC's with Outlook 2002 with HP scanner & sofware were effected. they
were updated on the 11th & 12th

Ottmar Freudenberger

Apr 13, 2006, 1:30:27 PM4/13/06
"Boz40" <Bo...@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

>I have some PC's that were not effected after the update. They have Outlook
> 2003 and HP scanners and software on them. They did their updates on the 13th
> Thursday am.
> The PC's with Outlook 2002 with HP scanner & sofware were effected. they
> were updated on the 11th & 12th

Hm, looks like a theory has to be burried.

Thanks for letting us know, "Boz40"! So, here are some new questions:

#1 Which Windows Version with which Service Pack installed is used?

#2 Could you verify whether KB911831 or KB911701 (both MS06-017) is
installed on either the machines in trouble and/or the fine running
ones?

#3 Is ZoneAlarm installed on any machine?

Bye,
Freudi
--
Macht euer Windows sicherer: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com - jetzt!
http://www.microsoft.com/germany/sicherheit/

Ottmar Freudenberger

Apr 13, 2006, 1:43:52 PM4/13/06
"Adrian UK" <Adri...@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

> I had this problem on my sons machine.........there is NO printer or scanner
> of any kind on it.
>
> My neighbour has 2 machines ,both failed to work with this update
> loaded,they do not have HP equipment either.

Hmpf, could you please answer the following questions? Thanks!

#1 Which Windows Version with which Service Pack installed is used?

#2 Is MS Office installed? If true, which version of MS Office
(2000, XP, 2003)?

#3 Could you verify whether KB911831 or KB911701 (both MS06-017) is

#4 Is ZoneAlarm installed on any machine?

TIA,
Freudi

Ottmar Freudenberger

Apr 13, 2006, 1:46:57 PM4/13/06
"DaveTR" <Dav...@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

>I have an HP PSC all-in-one which includes a scanner and the associated
> software. When I started my machine this morning the automatic updates
> started and re-installed the offending module. I've had to uninstall it again.

Hmpf, I'm assuming, that SP2 for Windows XP is installed to.

Is there any version of MS Office installed? If true, which
version (2000, XP, 2003)?

Could you verify whether KB911831 or KB911701 (both MS06-017) is

installed on the machine?

TIA,
Freudi

jeff....@gmail.com

Apr 15, 2006, 2:57:14 AM4/15/06
Please take a look at this post:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser/browse_frm/thread/b043a7dd986dfbfb/a9fb82836c014916?lnk=st&q=verclsid+hui&rnum=5&hl=en#a9fb82836c014916

Even if you don't have the HP equipment installed, you may have gotten
their software accidentally.

Ottmar Freudenberger

Apr 15, 2006, 4:27:05 AM4/15/06

Ottmar Freudenberger

Apr 15, 2006, 6:21:40 AM4/15/06
"Ottmar Freudenberger" <fre...@gmx.net> schrieb:

FWIW, if uploaded a ZIP file which includes a REG file, that does
exactly what the entry above suggests. If the "Share-To-Web" extension
has been "approved" already, _this_ registry entry will be deleted too:
http://patch-info.de/WinXP/Downloads/KB908531_Share-To-Web.zip

Bye,
Freudi

a25368

Apr 17, 2006, 12:54:03 PM4/17/06
I was having the same problem.
It was KB908531 the update that gave me this problem.

I removed it and it fixed the problem.
Now, everything is OK, thanks.