Browser Choice

barrowhill

Feb 23, 2010, 4:13:01 PM2/23/10
Today, an update was applied that on opening IE onstartup gives me the option
to install numerous other browsers. I don't want to as already installed
those I want and I cannot find anyway to stop this page opening again.
Help.....I'd like to remove this update or switch off browser choice screen
but suspect that EU forced this issue on all of us. What can I do ???????

Michael

Feb 23, 2010, 4:23:24 PM2/23/10

Exactly what update are you talking about? Sounds to me like you've been
hijacked.

--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

"barrowhill" <barro...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

barrowhill

Feb 23, 2010, 4:33:01 PM2/23/10

Michael,

KB976002 - Microsoft Browser Choice Screen Update for EEA Usesr of Windows XP

I don't wish this screen to appear but I can find no way to prevent it
appearing.

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Feb 23, 2010, 4:44:33 PM2/23/10

Looks like this is legit:

<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976002>

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976002

(Gee, thanks for the heads up, MS!)

Barrowhill: could you post a screenshot of the web page you are being shown?

Harry.

barrowhill

Feb 23, 2010, 5:29:02 PM2/23/10
Harry,

Just type "browser choice" into google and there you'll find post showing
screen shot

"Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:

> .

barrowhill

Feb 23, 2010, 5:41:01 PM2/23/10

I've restored system to yesterday and performed all installs except KB976002.
This was indicated as High Priority and though now hidden is eeident that t
has been hidden. Why or Why!!. This should be optional. Just because EU
won it's case Microsoft shouldn't go belly up in a fit of pique . The'venow
provided the wherewithall as demanded by EU; it users choice to perform.
I've installed firefox and an alternative to IE - I use both. I don't need
dictating to or being forced to do something. Lets make it optonal.

"Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:

> .

Steve Doerr

Feb 23, 2010, 6:28:21 PM2/23/10
On 23/02/2010 22:41, barrowhill wrote:

> I've restored system to yesterday and performed all installs except KB976002.
> This was indicated as High Priority and though now hidden is eeident that t
> has been hidden. Why or Why!!. This should be optional.

It was optional for me ('important' update, not ticked by default).

> Just because EU
> won it's case Microsoft shouldn't go belly up in a fit of pique . The'venow
> provided the wherewithall as demanded by EU; it users choice to perform.
> I've installed firefox and an alternative to IE - I use both. I don't need
> dictating to or being forced to do something. Lets make it optonal.

Intellectually, I'm opposed to this kind of interference by the European
Union. The idea that one software supplier should be obliged to promote
its rivals' products violates the principles of property rights and free
competition. That one jurisdiction (the EU) should be able, by its own
whim, to impose arbitrary punitive conditions on a supplier from outside
its jurisdiction seems to me... perfectly justified UNLESS that
jurisdiction has signed up to an international treaty intended to
promote free trade among nations (e.g. the GATT/WTO). WTO rules surely
need to be amended to enable an appeal to a WTO court by any company
found guilty of an antitrust violation that affects international trade.
(Actually, antitrust legislation should not exist except in so far as it
outlaws the artificial creation of monopolies by governments.)

This is the price we pay for living in the anti-free-trade European Union!

--
Steve

Ǝиçεl

Feb 23, 2010, 6:49:02 PM2/23/10
Hello Harry,

I'm not Barrowhill, but a final screen shot and description of the Internet
Explorer “ballot screen” that will roll out across Europe shortly.
<http://microsoftontheissues.com/cs/blogs/mscorp/archive/2010/02/19/the-browser-choice-screen-for-europe-what-to-expect-when-to-expect-it.aspx>
-=-

"Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:

> .

MowGreen

Feb 23, 2010, 7:43:21 PM2/23/10
The EU *forced* MS to do this. The High Priority given to this "update"
was dictated by the EU. You need to direct your complaint towards them,
not MS.

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Feb 23, 2010, 8:49:05 PM2/23/10
On 2010-02-24 11:29 a.m., barrowhill wrote:

> Harry,
>
> Just type "browser choice" into google and there you'll find post showing
> screen shot

No such luck, but Engel's URL gave me something to look at.

I very much doubt that there isn't a way to bypass the selection process. What
happens if you choose "Select Later"? Or just close the window?

Harry.

--
Harry Johnston
http://harryjohnston.wordpress.com

FrankV

Feb 24, 2010, 9:31:52 AM2/24/10
You are correct about the EU forcing Microsoft to do this. Try to argue with
the EU to get rid of this (joke).

Frank

barrowhill

Feb 24, 2010, 10:04:01 AM2/24/10
Harry,

Selecting later only ensures choice screen opens next boot/open IE, as does
just closing it down. Irrespective of any of these choices. Next time you
restart PC and open IU up pos the choice window. If you close IE then open
in current PC session then no choice window appear. Seem only happens on
startup/restart

"Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:

> .

barrowhill

Feb 24, 2010, 10:03:01 AM2/24/10
MowGreen,

The EU required MS to unbundle IE from the OS. MS chose to provide a
browser choice update so you can pick your own - one or more. Providing it
as high priority update ? yes ?, as without a browser you going nowhere;
optional ? why not? most people will already have a browser downloaded and
installed other than IE. But notwithstanding either, MS should have offered
an additional choice button of, for example "choice already installed" and
thus disabled the choice window from appearing again. You need a browser to
get the update!

"MowGreen" wrote:

> .

Rob

Feb 24, 2010, 12:51:21 PM2/24/10
Yes I agree. It should be seen that Microsoft have abided by the EU ruling
by notifying us about the choice of browser we use, but then it should be up
to the end user to say, ok I've made my choice, now stop pestering me. I
don't know why Microsoft didn't think of that one.

"barrowhill" <barro...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Feb 24, 2010, 2:25:58 PM2/24/10
On 2010-02-25 4:04 a.m., barrowhill wrote:

> Harry,
>
> Selecting later only ensures choice screen opens next boot/open IE, as does
> just closing it down. Irrespective of any of these choices. Next time you
> restart PC and open IU up pos the choice window. If you close IE then open
> in current PC session then no choice window appear. Seem only happens on
> startup/restart

OK.

Next guess: choose IE, as this is already installed, nothing will happen. Probably.

Ash

Feb 24, 2010, 4:28:47 PM2/24/10
If you are running windows vista, check your start-up programmes. To check this,
Start -> All Programs -> Startup

If that programme is in startup folder, delete it.

THIS IS JUST TO CHECK. I HAVE NOT TRIED THIS.

---
frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/Browser-Choice

MowGreen

Feb 24, 2010, 6:51:55 PM2/24/10

I fail to see how one needs to have a browser to be offered this update.
Why does someone need a browser to " get the update " when it's being
offered automatically ?

Are you stating that MS should scan folks computers to see if there are
any alternative browsers installed before offering this update or are
you asking that there be a choice that states the User already has such
a browser and MS should stop pestering them ?

The EU needs to be concerned with more important matters instead of
continually trying to force Microsoft to do something that just ends up
annoying Windows Users. Let them force Apple or Google to end the abuse
of their monopolies and then I'll believe this isn't just a vendetta
against MS.

ybS2okj

Feb 24, 2010, 9:18:54 PM2/24/10
Barrowhill,

There is no point in explaining anything to that plonker because he/she is
now a transsexual and so has lost all his mental faculties.

Can't you the sort of statement he made?

"The EU *forced* MS to do this. The High Priority given to this "update"
was dictated by the EU. You need to direct your complaint towards them, "

Now these nutters haven't got a clue how EU operates.

As far as the solution is concerned, I have setup my system in such a way
that I don't receive any updates post SP3 and so I am not affected by this.
Microsoft patches are completely waste of time because they are doing more
harm than any security they are supposed to provide.

This patch does not remove reliance on IE to get updates and so there is
still some more fight in the EU about this. IE should never be part of the
OS but Microsoft in their wise wisdom decided to do to beat all the browser
competition.

hth

Smirnoff

Feb 25, 2010, 3:18:57 AM2/25/10

Sorry, don't understand the second sentence of your post. "This was
indicated as High Priority and though now hidden is eeident that t has been
hidden.".

Are you saying that reverting to a prior restore point successfully removed
the "Browser Choice" update and that you have now selected "Don't show this
update again" in Windows/MS Update?

MS states that "Once installed this update cannot be removed". I assume this
means that it doesn't appear in Add/Remove programmes even with "show
updates" ticked and that there is no uninstall option. However, if you were
successful, I can see many people using "System Restore".

"barrowhill" <barro...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

keithrobinson

Feb 25, 2010, 5:22:18 AM2/25/10
You can hack it out of the registry. Go to HCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\run and remove BrowserChoice Key, "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\browserchoice.exe" /run

Dont forget to back up first....

Why is there no "dont show this again option"?

barrowhill wrote:

Browser Choice
23-Feb-10

Today, an update was applied that on opening IE onstartup gives me the option

to install numerous other browsers. I do not want to as already installed

those I want and I cannot find anyway to stop this page opening again.
Help.....I'd like to remove this update or switch off browser choice screen
but suspect that EU forced this issue on all of us. What can I do ???????

WPF Custom Validation Using the Enterprise Library
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/9af7ac1a-d7f3-4e00-9aec-33ef1ec7d1a3/wpf-custom-validation-usi.aspx

Stablesgh

Feb 25, 2010, 12:28:59 PM2/25/10

This just happened to me on my XP machine without warning!

I had to disable pop-up blocking in the Google Toolbar, and I was then
able to click on Install Windows Explorer (which I am determine to stick
to thanks to the EU).

My existing version of IE8 was un-installed, and replaced by a more
recent version. The "choice" screen no longer appears when I boot, but
there is (now WAS!) an icon on the desktop to bring up the "choice"
screen. Its target is the following file:

C:\Windows\system32\browserchoice.exe\launch.

On my wife's XP machine, I entered the custon section of Windows update
and deselected the KB976002 update, so It will no longer be offered to
me. Being cynical, I wonder just how long it will take the EU to force
Moicrosoft to repeat the dose.

Interestingly my Windows 7 machine is not affected as I purchased by
copy from Amazon (in the UK) as an order in advance of publication, and
they kindly supplied me with a non-European english version.

--
Stablesgh
Stablesgh's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/188680.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

MowGreen

Feb 25, 2010, 4:06:48 PM2/25/10
ybS2okj wrote:
> As far as the solution is concerned, I have setup my system in such a way
> that I don't receive any updates post SP3 and so I am not affected by this.
> Microsoft patches are completely waste of time because they are doing more
> harm than any security they are supposed to provide.

This the same troll who use to use the date/year as a User Name, now
changes it to gibberish, does not comprehend grammar, and now recommends
that no updates be installed after SP3 is applied.

This delusional advice is from an anti-social, foul-mouthed psychopath
whose ISP is DSL-TISCALI-UK. It's about as sound as listening to the
inmates of a loony bin.

PLONK !!!

Luke

Feb 25, 2010, 6:56:01 PM2/25/10
Try start, run, msconfig

go to startup and deselect C:\System32\browserchoice.exe

I'm about to do this now, so I'm hoping it works for me too!

Best of luck,

Luke

bigbo

Feb 25, 2010, 8:27:01 PM2/25/10
Hi Barrowhill

I have just received the same update and have to say that I strongly object
to new software being installed on my machines in this manner. I too have the
browsers I want, already installed.
I cannot find it in Add/Remove programs, rolling back to a checkpoint before
the update does not work.
To my mind this is akin to my machine being hacked and therefore must be
illegal
Anyone else feel the same?
Anyone from Microsoft willing to comment?

ybS2okj

Feb 25, 2010, 10:13:11 PM2/25/10

You are the only one to blame yourself. Microsoft patches are a complete
and utter waste of time and you can stop them by going to Security Centre
and turning off Automatic Updates. I don't get any updates and so my system
is as secure as possible.

There is no evidence that Microsoft updates are making computers any safer.
If at all, people's machines are becoming less safer because of these
patches. For example only a few days ago "Gordon" complained that his
system is ridden with viruses and he was blaming me for not patching my
system. Apparently, if I don't patch my system, he is the one who gets
viruses!!. Now this is bizarre!!.

I have therefore, concluded that it is the M$ patches making his system
weaker.

hth

"bigbo" <bi...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Ottmar Freudenberger

Feb 26, 2010, 12:25:01 AM2/26/10
"ybS2okj" <ybS...@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

> You are the only one to blame yourself. Microsoft patches are a complete
> and utter waste of time and you can stop them by going to Security Centre
> and turning off Automatic Updates. I don't get any updates and so my system
> is as secure as possible.

That's plain BS and you're aware of that. Do you really think, that running
your avast! toy does resolve the security issues which are *needed* to be
fixed with updates?

> There is no evidence that Microsoft updates are making computers any safer.

LOL

> If at all, people's machines are becoming less safer because of these
> patches. For example only a few days ago "Gordon" complained that his
> system is ridden with viruses and he was blaming me for not patching my
> system. Apparently, if I don't patch my system, he is the one who gets
> viruses!!. Now this is bizarre!!.

Have you ever heard about Bot nets? Obviously not.

> I have therefore, concluded that it is the M$ patches making his system
> weaker.

I have the strong impression that "not only" your unpatched Windows XP SP3
is weak.

Bye,
Freudi

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 26, 2010, 2:00:33 AM2/26/10
Do you think MS chose to do this? Do you ever read a newspaper or listen to
the news?

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 26, 2010, 2:09:15 PM2/26/10
On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 10:44:33 +1300, Harry Johnston [MVP] wrote:
> Looks like this is legit:
>
> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976002>
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976002
>
> (Gee, thanks for the heads up, MS!)

The Browser Choice Screen for Europe: What to Expect, When to Expect It (19
February 2010)
http://microsoftontheissues.com/cs/blogs/mscorp/archive/2010/02/19/the-browser-choice-screen-for-europe-what-to-expect-when-to-expect-it.aspx
--
~Robear

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 27, 2010, 12:26:28 PM2/27/10
[Adding Windows Update newsgroup to the crosspost.]

The Browser Choice update cannot be uninstalled.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Ed O'Brien wrote:
> Windows Vista Home Premium
>
> I used to know but forget... Can someone tell me where Windows stores
> newly
> installed updates?
>
> I want to uninstall the damned browser choice notice now being presented
> every time I boot.
>
> I just wish that unelected, corrupt bunch of crooks in the EU Commission
> would butt out. It was they who forced Microsoft to punish us this way.
> Although it would also have been sensible for Microsoft to add a 'Do Not
> Show Again' button.
>
> TIA

Ed O'Brien

Feb 27, 2010, 12:48:15 PM2/27/10
Thanks. Found that out the hard way.... Does anyone know why Microsoft chose
to lock this useless device into our computers. I know they had to show it,
but why forever?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 27, 2010, 12:57:21 PM2/27/10
Get your facts straight (and maybe read a newspaper every now and then): MS
did NOT choose to do this on its own.

Windows 7 and Browser Choice in Europe (31 July-09)
http://microsoftontheissues.com/cs/blogs/mscorp/archive/2009/07/31/windows-7-and-browser-choice-in-europe.aspx

EU ends Microsoft antitrust probe; Accepts browser choice (16 Dec-09)
http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=28590

The Browser Choice Screen for Europe: What to Expect, When to Expect It (19

Feb-10)
http://microsoftontheissues.com/cs/blogs/mscorp/archive/2010/02/19/the-browser-choice-screen-for-europe-what-to-expect-when-to-expect-it.aspx
--
~PA Bear

Ed O'Brien

Feb 27, 2010, 1:15:50 PM2/27/10
Another bad mannered prat...! Look at my original post... I cursed the arse
of the EU Commission, so it's clear I know who's responsible for the
advertisement. But why lock it in and why not a 'Do not show this message
again' choice?

If you don't know, you don't need to make a comment...! If you want to make
a comment, GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT! And yes I'm shouting because you're
f*****g dense!

> Get your facts straight (and maybe read a newspaper every now and then):
> MS did NOT choose to do this on its own.
>
> Windows 7 and Browser Choice in Europe (31 July-09)
> http://microsoftontheissues.com/cs/blogs/mscorp/archive/2009/07/31/windows-7-and-browser-choice-in-europe.aspx
>
> EU ends Microsoft antitrust probe; Accepts browser choice (16 Dec-09)
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=28590
>
> The Browser Choice Screen for Europe: What to Expect, When to Expect It
> (19 Feb-10)
> http://microsoftontheissues.com/cs/blogs/mscorp/archive/2010/02/19/the-browser-choice-screen-for-europe-what-to-expect-when-to-expect-it.aspx
> --

> ~PA BearI

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 27, 2010, 1:26:11 PM2/27/10
<plonk>

Ed O'Brien wrote:
> Another bad mannered prat...! ...

Jean Rosenfeld

Feb 27, 2010, 2:37:42 PM2/27/10
I have automatic updates off and check MS Update manually. I carefully
avoided downloading that one. On MS update it does have a hide check box.

Ed O'Brien

Feb 27, 2010, 5:25:09 PM2/27/10
Thank you, Jean. I also have installing set to manual and I wish I had done
the same as you and ignored it. As it is I have done a System Restore which
got rid of it. Now it is the only one sitting in "Windows Update".

(Sorry aboout the rude elements in the thread... Not my usual style in front
of a lady)!

"Jean Rosenfeld" <jean.ro...@nospam.tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

MowGreen

Feb 27, 2010, 5:51:00 PM2/27/10
Hide it by clicking the update icon and UNchecking the box next to it.
Click OK, then in the next window that opens put a check in the box next
to " Do not offer me this (these) update(s) again or I'll kill
you " or some similar verbiage to that effect. <w>

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

Gene E. Bloch

Feb 27, 2010, 6:46:01 PM2/27/10
On 2/27/10, MowGreen posted:

> Hide it by clicking the update icon and UNchecking the box next to it. Click
> OK, then in the next window that opens put a check in the box next to " Do
> not offer me this (these) update(s) again or I'll kill
> you " or some similar verbiage to that effect. <w>

I think the correct text is "Do not offer me this update again or I'll
kill you *twice*"

Just my way of saying your post helped make my day...

--
Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 lettersatblochg.com

beeanon

Feb 27, 2010, 6:55:56 PM2/27/10
Assuming that Vista allows the same Windows Update configurations as XP, I suggest users change their settings to receive notifications only, rather than all updates automatically. You can then log on to Windows Update, choose Custom & read about each update before deciding whether or not to install it. When I read that KB 976002 could not be uninstalled via Add/remove Programs, I chose not to install it. It's too late now for people who are stuck with it, but worth knowing for future reference?!

bigbo wrote:

Hi BarrowhillI have just received the same update and have to say that I
25-Feb-10

Hi Barrowhill

I have just received the same update and have to say that I strongly object
to new software being installed on my machines in this manner. I too have the
browsers I want, already installed.
I cannot find it in Add/Remove programs, rolling back to a checkpoint before
the update does not work.
To my mind this is akin to my machine being hacked and therefore must be
illegal
Anyone else feel the same?
Anyone from Microsoft willing to comment?

"barrowhill" wrote:

Creating a WPF Custom Control
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/32d63678-2798-465e-ad29-c0b45fb68b78/creating-a-wpf-custom-con.aspx

Smirnoff

Feb 28, 2010, 2:37:33 AM2/28/10
Fortunately, I DID manage to avoid the "Choice" update.

You say that using System Restore got rid of it, great. However, other
posters are reporting that using SR does NOT remove it from their system and
are being advised to use a registry hack to stop it running.

Could it be that it depends on the OS whether SR works or not?

"Ed O'Brien" <edward....@deletebtinternet.com> wrote in message

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Feb 28, 2010, 4:05:16 AM2/28/10
On 2010-02-28 8:37 p.m., Smirnoff wrote:

> Fortunately, I DID manage to avoid the "Choice" update.
>
> You say that using System Restore got rid of it, great. However, other
> posters are reporting that using SR does NOT remove it from their system
> and are being advised to use a registry hack to stop it running.
>
> Could it be that it depends on the OS whether SR works or not?

Unlikely. More likely the users reporting that system restore didn't work
either (a) used a restore point after the update was installed; or (b) did
successfully remove the update, but didn't manage to stop it from being
installed again. I'm not entirely certain how automatic updates interacts with
system restore, but it's possible (depending on various factors) that the update
would be reinstalled again almost straight away.

Harry.

Smirnoff

Feb 28, 2010, 4:32:54 AM2/28/10

"Harry Johnston [MVP]" <ha...@scms.waikato.ac.nz> wrote in message

> On 2010-02-28 8:37 p.m., Smirnoff wrote:
>
>> Fortunately, I DID manage to avoid the "Choice" update.
>>
>> You say that using System Restore got rid of it, great. However, other
>> posters are reporting that using SR does NOT remove it from their system
>> and are being advised to use a registry hack to stop it running.
>>
>> Could it be that it depends on the OS whether SR works or not?
>
> Unlikely. More likely the users reporting that system restore didn't work
> either (a) used a restore point after the update was installed; or (b) did
> successfully remove the update, but didn't manage to stop it from being
> installed again. I'm not entirely certain how automatic updates interacts
> with system restore, but it's possible (depending on various factors) that
> the update would be reinstalled again almost straight away.
>
> Harry.

I too am not sure how AU works with SR. All I'm trying to establish is
whether SR (to a pre-update checkpoint) IS an option, i.e. will it remove
the update? There are so many conflicting posts.

(a) I think most users would know to use a pre-update checkpoint.

(b) Does the update immediately reinstall (because Auto Update settings have
not been altered), or is it not removed by SR in the first place?

It may be that some users think they have removed it and they haven't. Some
use Firefox as their default browser and apparently don't get the "Choice"
window. Others suggest the only way to stop it running is with a registry
hack.

No doubt it will become clear eventually.

Ed O'Brien

Feb 28, 2010, 5:53:41 AM2/28/10
Thanks for this, MowGreen. I had heard about this option but never looked
deeply for it as it is not that obvious to the user. It's not quite as you
describe for my OS, but you have made me go back and look a bit deeper. It
is easy after all - once you know how. Opening WU, select the update/s and
in the next window, right click the update/s you don't want and select "Hide
Update".

Knowledge I will keep for the rest of my life thanks to you.

"MowGreen" <mowg...@nowandzen.com> wrote in message

Ed O'Brien

Feb 28, 2010, 5:27:47 AM2/28/10
Can't say, I'm afraid. It took it down on my Vista and it now shows up as
ready to install. As I installed it late, I was able to establish the exact
time of day it was installed so chose the SR immediately in front of it.

"Smirnoff" <som...@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

Ed O'Brien

Feb 28, 2010, 5:30:07 AM2/28/10
I agree. This is almost certainly how it works... Being among a lot of
updates, and wanting to retain the essential ones, picking the right SR is
essential.

"Harry Johnston [MVP]" <ha...@scms.waikato.ac.nz> wrote in message

.

Feb 28, 2010, 6:43:00 AM2/28/10
In Administrative Tools choose Reliability and Performance Monitor and
choose MonitoringTools then Reliability Monitor (type Reliability in search
on Start) . This list is a chart of software installs, uninstalls, Windows
updates, and crashes by date.

--
.
--

"Ed O'Brien" <edward....@deletebtinternet.com> wrote in message

Joan Archer

Feb 28, 2010, 7:03:52 AM2/28/10
I don't see what the problem is I installed it when I saw the page for the
other browsers I just clicked on IE, as that is my browser of choice, after
taking me to the Microsoft IE Home page it told me I already had it set as
the default and all I had to do was click the icon to put it back on my
taskbar as the install had removed it from there.

No problems after that I just put the shortcut on my desktop into the
recycle bin, job done, this is a Windows 7 desktop machine.

--
Joan Archer
http://crossstitcher.webs.com/

"barrowhill" <barro...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've restored system to yesterday and performed all installs except
> KB976002.
> This was indicated as High Priority and though now hidden is eeident that
> has been hidden. Why or Why!!. This should be optional. Just because EU
> won it's case Microsoft shouldn't go belly up in a fit of pique .
> The'venow
> provided the wherewithall as demanded by EU; it users choice to perform.
> I've installed firefox and an alternative to IE - I use both. I don't
> need
> dictating to or being forced to do something. Lets make it optonal.
>
>snip>

Ed O'Brien

Feb 28, 2010, 7:12:02 AM2/28/10

Thanks for htis. This is a brilliant tool which I knew nothing about.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 28, 2010, 11:57:22 AM2/28/10
+1 You go, girl!

Joan Archer wrote:
> I don't see what the problem is I installed it when I saw the page for the
> other browsers I just clicked on IE, as that is my browser of choice,
> after
> taking me to the Microsoft IE Home page it told me I already had it set as
> the default and all I had to do was click the icon to put it back on my
> taskbar as the install had removed it from there.
>
> No problems after that I just put the shortcut on my desktop into the
> recycle bin, job done, this is a Windows 7 desktop machine.

Catbiter

Mar 1, 2010, 6:13:01 AM3/1/10

I have never come across anything so pattently obvious or stupid in my 36
years in IT.

To conform with EU regulations Microsoft has injected this annoying code
into an update basically to "piss users off" but to point the figer at the EU
and say "Sorry guys but they made us do it!!"

Microsofts aim is not to give people "choice", people ALWAYS have had the
choice of which browser to use simply by installing them.. I run Firefox and
Safari at home , just to keep an eye on what is available so I have aleady
exercised my right to chose. The EU obviously haven't got a clue about the
dissruption and anoyance these daily messages are going to cause Millions of
users.

We are also , and I do not need a crystal ball to predict this, going to be
inumdated with fake update messages from every hacker, attacker and cracker
laka who will see this as a Golden opportunity to try and dupe gullible users
into clicking on links to infected websites and download. Microsoft will then
happily blame the EU for all the problems..

EU should stick to doing what they do best. Fraud and fiddles.

Catbiter

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Mar 1, 2010, 12:51:08 PM3/1/10
Bitch to your MP or EU representatives, not us.

MowGreen

Mar 1, 2010, 3:09:14 PM3/1/10
Catbiter wrote:

> I have never come across anything so pattently obvious or stupid in my 36
> years in IT.
>
> To conform with EU regulations Microsoft has injected this annoying code
> into an update basically to "piss users off" but to point the figer at the EU
> and say "Sorry guys but they made us do it!!"
>
> Microsofts aim is not to give people "choice", people ALWAYS have had the
> choice of which browser to use simply by installing them.. I run Firefox and
> Safari at home , just to keep an eye on what is available so I have aleady
> exercised my right to chose. The EU obviously haven't got a clue about the
> dissruption and anoyance these daily messages are going to cause Millions of
> users.
>
> We are also , and I do not need a crystal ball to predict this, going to be
> inumdated with fake update messages from every hacker, attacker and cracker
> laka who will see this as a Golden opportunity to try and dupe gullible users
> into clicking on links to infected websites and download. Microsoft will then
> happily blame the EU for all the problems..
>
> EU should stick to doing what they do best. Fraud and fiddles.
>
> Catbiter

As usual, it's the End User who is left holding the proverbial stick.
Or rather, getting hit in the head with it due to a bureaucracy tussling
with a corporation.

I have no idea how MS and the EU came to a resolution on this absurd
browser issue but the Opera folks definitely deserve some of the blame,
too. They're the ones who first initiated the legal action and balked at
some of the proposed resolutions.
Folks still won't be installing Opera and it's not because they are
unaware of it's existence ... they just DON'T LIKE IT !

JTC

Mar 1, 2010, 4:19:02 PM3/1/10

I saw that update today, Fortunately I have automatic updates turned off and
always do a Custom update and declined it.

Maybe this is the way to go ?

Rob

Mar 1, 2010, 5:20:40 PM3/1/10

> As usual, it's the End User who is left holding the proverbial stick.
> Or rather, getting hit in the head with it due to a bureaucracy tussling
> with a corporation.
>
> I have no idea how MS and the EU came to a resolution on this absurd
> browser issue but the Opera folks definitely deserve some of the blame,
> too. They're the ones who first initiated the legal action and balked at
> some of the proposed resolutions.
> Folks still won't be installing Opera and it's not because they are
> unaware of it's existence ... they just DON'T LIKE IT !
>

> MowGreen

What makes me laugh about this, is the comment made by Mozilla Foundation
chair Mitchell Baker. He described the news as "an important milestone
towards helping people take control of their online lives." Just how exactly
is being annoyed by a pop up screen every time I start a new browsing
session, helping me take control of my online life!? If there was an option
to turn it off then maybe.

I don't suppose for one minute Mr Baker is thinking about all the free
advertising he's now getting. Microsoft should never of been forced to
advertise it's competitors products, let alone for free. I'm sorry, but if
people in this day and age don't know there's alternatives to IE, then more
fool them. There's no excuse for not shopping around or feigning ignorance.
Christ, we all know how to use Google don't we? What's next, that's all I
can say. Oh and thanks EU but I happen to like bendy bananas too ;o)

Opinicus

Mar 2, 2010, 12:24:07 AM3/2/10
On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 13:19:02 -0800, JTC <J...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

> I saw that update today, Fortunately I have automatic updates turned off and
> always do a Custom update and declined it.
> Maybe this is the way to go ?

That's the way I went. Followed up by "Hide this update" from the WUP
screen of courese.

The problem seems to be what people who haven't done this can do to
get rid of the nag screen at startup.

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Smirnoff

Mar 2, 2010, 3:36:02 AM3/2/10

"Opinicus" <gez...@spamcop.net.which.is.not.invalid> wrote in message

Exactly.

I avoided it by doing what you did.

Problem is there are conflicting reports about whether System Restore works
or not. Some say it does work, others say it doesn't. I haven't seen a
definitive answer to this.

If it does work, fair enough. Those that say it doesn't work may not have
altered their Automatic Update settings, so the update is reinstalled again.
Whatever the case, the longer it goes on, SR will cease to be an option.

Others are adamant that the update cannot be removed by SR and that the only
option is to delete the registry key:

"You can hack it out of the registry. Go to
HCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\run and remove BrowserChoice
Key, "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\browserchoice.exe" /run

Don't forget to back up first...." (Keith Robinson)"

Does the method used depend on your OS? This could be the reason for
conflicting reports.

I would like to be able to advise my friends of the correct (only?) way to
remove the update.

jim41248

Mar 2, 2010, 5:51:17 AM3/2/10

I also downloaded the "Browser Choice" update and don't see any problems
with it...........
Simple solution ..... Even if you have one of the Browsers offered..
just select and install again.. You aren't forced to use that browser..
and.. you will now get rid of the "Browser Choice" page.

Why are there complaints about this? Your computer hasn't been
"Hi-jacked"... It's just a small program which gives you the choice of
selecting another Browser by default... It's up to you which Browser you
set as default

--
jim41248
jim41248's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/190179.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/1309148.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

berger15

Mar 5, 2010, 1:16:01 PM3/5/10
If you go Start -> Run -> type " msconfig " hit enter, then select tab "
Starup" and uncheck the "browserchoice" box, then click "apply" at the bottom
and close the window. When you reboot you will get a warning, check the box
regarding future warnings and close it. This should stop this bloody annoying
message EVERY time you start the pc up.
It is not listed under the updates under the "add/remove programs" applet,
so you can't remove it once installed.

Hope this helps a few people!

"Smirnoff" wrote:

> Sorry, don't understand the second sentence of your post. "This was

> indicated as High Priority and though now hidden is eeident that t has been

> hidden.".
>
> Are you saying that reverting to a prior restore point successfully removed
> the "Browser Choice" update and that you have now selected "Don't show this
> update again" in Windows/MS Update?
>
> MS states that "Once installed this update cannot be removed". I assume this
> means that it doesn't appear in Add/Remove programmes even with "show
> updates" ticked and that there is no uninstall option. However, if you were
> successful, I can see many people using "System Restore".

> "barrowhill" <barro...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've restored system to yesterday and performed all installs except
> > KB976002.
> > This was indicated as High Priority and though now hidden is eeident that
> > has been hidden. Why or Why!!. This should be optional. Just because EU
> > won it's case Microsoft shouldn't go belly up in a fit of pique .
> > The'venow
> > provided the wherewithall as demanded by EU; it users choice to perform.
> > I've installed firefox and an alternative to IE - I use both. I don't
> > need
> > dictating to or being forced to do something. Lets make it optonal.
> >

> > "Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Looks like this is legit:
> >>
> >> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976002>
> >>
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976002
> >>
> >> (Gee, thanks for the heads up, MS!)
> >>
> >> Barrowhill: could you post a screenshot of the web page you are being
> >> shown?
> >>
> >> Harry.

> >> .
> >>

> .

daduiippanen

Mar 5, 2010, 3:08:51 PM3/5/10

I'm not a developer, but in my 5 pc's (XP, sp3) Automatic Updates are set to: "Notify me, but don't automatically download or install them." Notification then appears in the task bar and when I open the Choose...dl - window I can check which updates I want. If I uncheck some update and close the window I'll be informed that I haven't choose the update to download. In that window I can also check: "Don't notify me about these updates again". Then that update won't bother me anymore. Well, if I later, for some reason, want that update anyway I go to the MS Windows update site, where I can see all my updates, also the ones I haven't yet.

I don't want to turn all updates off, since it could cause problems - there are some important ones. Sometimes I don't know how to react. Then I just Google it and get advice, in matter of fact that's the way I found this place. And after reading many comments in this site and MS own info I have decided that I don't dl "Choice Screen".

Well, I know this won't help them with the program already installed. I've been there too and learned the hard way! So for the future...

Thanks a lot and I hope you won't find me me silly , simple etc when I'm not specialist nor native English speaker/writer. (There's some very rude talk in this forum;).

Dadu

barrowhill wrote:

Browser Choice
23-Feb-10

Today, an update was applied that on opening IE onstartup gives me the option

to install numerous other browsers. I do not want to as already installed

those I want and I cannot find anyway to stop this page opening again.
Help.....I'd like to remove this update or switch off browser choice screen
but suspect that EU forced this issue on all of us. What can I do ???????

More Fun with Fluent NHibernate Automapping
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/50aa9259-6dbb-4d16-9639-81ee42171b00/more-fun-with-fluent-nhib.aspx

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Mar 5, 2010, 3:39:41 PM3/5/10
You may be accessing this thread in a trash-talking forum but the discussion
is taking place in a MS newsgroup which you can access independent of
CrackedEggHeadCafe:

Dadu Iippanen wrote:
> ...(There's some very rude talk in this forum...
> <SNIP>
> Submitted via EggHeadCafe

coppernanotube

Mar 7, 2010, 4:23:06 AM3/7/10

Don't know if this is still relevant, I suffered the "enhancement" as well
and I use Firefox. However was able to avoid a reinstall by tweaking the
registry...

- From a command prompt run regedit
- In path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE...SOFTWARE...BrowserChoice double click on
Shortcut and change the value to 0 (Zero). Thus far it seems to work i.e. the
panel is installed and deactivated w/out a need to download another browser

"barrowhill" wrote:

> Today, an update was applied that on opening IE onstartup gives me the option

> to install numerous other browsers. I don't want to as already installed

kakakak

Mar 8, 2010, 12:03:29 PM3/8/10

regarding system restore, i'd say it's got to work for everyone, as long
as they go and do it in SAFE MODE. many people don't know they have to
go to safe mode, and then naturally it doesn't work for them. hope this
helps :)

--
kakakak
kakakak's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/192320.htm

FP@discussions.microsoft.com Alejo FP

Mar 25, 2010, 10:11:01 AM3/25/10
I have used the msconfig command, and unchecked the item "Browserchoice".
Then i removed the icon on windows desktop. It worked for me, in windows XP
and in Windows 7

LD55ZRA

Mar 25, 2010, 10:46:27 PM3/25/10
Alejo FP wrote:

You are a very cleaver boy and I wished some Microsoft Valuable Pigs had
some intelligence like yours to advice Microsoft Customers what to do
in situation like yours.

hth

--

Harry Johnson <ha...@scms.waikato.ac.nz> is a convicted paedophilia from
New Zealand and has been outed under Megan's Law. Please report him to