WU Error 0x80090017

electrogadgetguru

Apr 17, 2007, 1:54:05 PM4/17/07
I have 17 automatic updates that keep failing to install with the 0x80090017
error code. Any suggestions on how to get these to install?

Peter Foldes

Apr 17, 2007, 2:44:16 PM4/17/07
Which Updates. Is it for the OS or for Office or both

--
Peter

electrogadgetguru

Apr 17, 2007, 3:06:03 PM4/17/07
Windows XP. Office updates go down just fine.

MowGreen [MVP]

Apr 17, 2007, 3:27:56 PM4/17/07
Try this ... stop the Automatic Updates service via the Services console
or by going to Start > Run > type in

net stop wuauserv

Click OK or press Enter

Show hidden files, folders, and system files
http://www.xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4155-1916458,00.html

Using Windows Explorer, navigate to WINDOWS\system32\Catroot2 folder
RENAME CatRoot2 to CatRoot2.old

Now open the WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution folder
Delete the *contents* of the Download and EventCache folders
Open the DataStore folder
Delete DataStore.edb

Restart the AU service from the Services console or from
Start > Run > type in

net start wuauserv

Click OK or press Enter

Initiate a manual visit to Windows Update via the shortcut on the Start
Menu.
If no joy, stop the AU service once more.
RENAME the SoftwareDistribution folder or, delete the CONTENTS of it,
not the folder itself.
Restart the AU service and revisit Windows Update.

Which antivirus or security suite/firewall is installed ?

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

electrogadgetguru

Apr 17, 2007, 9:32:01 PM4/17/07
OK, I did what you suggested and got a boatload of updates to work for Office
XP and Office 2003 (I don't even have Office XP anymore but got all the
updates!), 27 total. My update history for Windows XP was gone, however, so
I don't know now if all the 17 updates I had not successfully downloaded are
now installed. Thanks much for the help, but help again, please. How do I
know if my version of Windows XP has all the security patches that have been
released?

electrogadgetguru

Apr 17, 2007, 9:38:01 PM4/17/07
BTW, to answer your question, I'm not running any virus or firewall on this
PC. The only firewalls I use are built in to my Linksys routers. No virus
scanners...periodically I use one of the free online ones but no Norton or
anything like that. I've found that with close scrutiny of web sites visited
and opening only known email, viruses seem to stay away from all my PC's (6
at home and another 4 at work). All the virus software I've used in the past
is more of a pain in the butt than they're worth.

PA Bear

Apr 17, 2007, 10:32:14 PM4/17/07
Protect Your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/computer/default.mspx
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.org

Ottmar Freudenberger

Apr 17, 2007, 11:32:42 PM4/17/07

#1 If Windows Update doesn't offer any update and does not show any
error message, that's most likely the case.

#2 If you really want to check whether your machines are missing any
update, you may give MSBA a try:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/mbsahome.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4B4ABA06-B5F9-4DAD-BE9D-7B51EC2E5AC9&displaylang=en-us

And you're right, using brain 1.0 SP42 may be enough to replace any
AV scanner software (but _not_ a firewall concept != personal firewall
software) running permanently in the background although that means to
be disciplined in beeing very careful. An _OnDemand_ AV scanner may
help in these situations which helps you checking any file you receive
before you open/execute it.

Bye,
Freudi

Unknown

Apr 20, 2007, 6:00:01 AM4/20/07
any suggestions on how to correct Error code :0x80090017

MowGreen [MVP]

Apr 20, 2007, 4:22:53 PM4/20/07
Yes, check the 4th post in the thread. Read this to find that post:

Using Web-based Newsreaders
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=newswhelp&style=toc#usenewsweb

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

scjerry

Jan 6, 2008, 9:20:00 AM1/6/08
Hi MowGreen
Stopped AUS as instructed, but can't rename Catroot2. Says folder in use.
scjerry

MowGreen [MVP]

Jan 7, 2008, 6:21:57 PM1/7/08
Please post the version of Windows that is installed.
You may also have to stop the BITS and/or Cryptographic service in order
to rename Catroot2.
Will await the answer as to which V. of Windows is installed.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]

===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

scjerry

Jan 8, 2008, 9:04:01 AM1/8/08
Thanks for your response.

I had a disk problem, which was repairable, cleaned up the drive using
chkdsk, then repaired from a bootable slip-streamed XP (Home version) SP2 CD
using the latest version of SP2.

Couldn't successfully execute Windows Update from the getgo. Downloaded but
refused to install.

Tried stopping and restarting the crypto stuff from the command window to
rename Catlog2, and did succeed in executing all of your suggestions , but to
no avail.

Now dealing with a MS guy, since I have a couple free consultations, though
I think they will work on solving WU problems for free. He thinks it is some
corrupted dlls that the repair didn't fix. DCOM doesn't work and there were
some non-fatal install errors. He has a copy of the system status uploaded
from my machine.

Will keep you posted.

Trying to avoid a complete re-install, but that may be less time consuming
in the end.
Thanks again
scjerry

MowGreen [MVP]

Jan 8, 2008, 5:11:27 PM1/8/08
If a repair installation was done than all that's needed resolve the
installation is to reregister wups2.dll from a Command Prompt:

Start > Run > type in

cmd

Click OK or press Enter

Type these in at the prompt pushing Enter after *each* command

net stop wuauserv
regsvr32 wups2.dll
net start wuauserv
exit

Reboot the system and the updates *should* install now

scjerry

Jan 8, 2008, 5:44:03 PM1/8/08
With the advantage of a snapshot of my system at hand, the MS guy advised a
fix that worked. I was very pleased, since MS support gets bashed allot and
most times undeservedly. They responded and fixed my problem within 24 hours.
Pretty good!! Of course, the root issue is why didn't the repair routines on
the boot CD, fix the problem in the first place.

Here it is (in quotation marks) in case others have similar problems.

"Step 1: Register DLL files
===================
By trying this step, we can check the update engines.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.
2. Click "Start" and "Run", type "REGSVR32 ATL.DLL" (without quotes) in the
open box and click "OK".

Note: There is a space between REGSVR32 and ATL.DLL

3. Register the files listed below:

REGSVR32 MSXML3.DLL
REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL
REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL
REGSVR32 WUAUENG1.DLL
REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL
REGSVR32 WUCLTUI.DLL
REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL
REGSVR32 WUWEB.DLL
REGSVR32 QMGR.DLL
REGSVR32 QMGRPRXY.DLL
REGSVR32 JSCRIPT.DLL

Note: Please register all the files. While registering each .DLL file you
should get a "succeeded" message. If you encounter any error message, please
let me know the exact wording.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows
Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2: Verify the relevant Windows Update services
1. Click "Start"->"Run", type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in
the open box and click "OK".
2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".
3. Click on the "General" tab; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic".
Then please click "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.
4. Click "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.
5. Please repeat the above steps with another service: Background
Intelligent Transfer Service.

Please test the issue again via the Windows Update website and let me know
the result. If the issue persists, please assist me in collecting the
following information. "

End quote.

Anyway, this worked and I am a happy camper, with my SP2 updated to
essentially SP3 with IE 7.

scjerry

nabilh...@gmail.com

May 7, 2017, 9:43:48 AM5/7/17