Setup Error 0x80070005 Access is Denied

Vince

Jan 16, 2006, 11:11:15 AM1/16/06
Wow what a lot of people posting here and giving no details of their
problems.
Still, I hope s/o can help.

My situation. I repair installed my XP Pro installation, making a
slipstream to install SP2 at the same time. Went o.k.

Now I went to Windows update but the Windows Installer 3 install has failed
many times.
I restarted agian, downloaded the Windows Installer 3.1 Redistributable (v2)
and tried to install that. Several failures with the message:
Access is Denied

Checked the Windows Installer permissions in regedit like one article said,
no luck.

I found some people with the same trouble on the net:
http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-1899667.php

JD is helped out by Rick 'Nutcase' ROgers but alas, the MS article is no
longer online.

Updates from the Windows Update Web site are not installed and an "Error
0x80070005: Access is denied" error message is logged to the Windows
Update.log file

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=836926

--
Best of Luck,

If anyone knows the fix this was referring to...

Vince

Tom

Jan 16, 2006, 11:53:31 AM1/16/06
O.K., so I discovered that order of things really matter, so here goes.

If you get 0kb downloaded, 0kb ready to install and the updates fails, or if
you cannot update or install any software at all, here is what may fix it.

Order matters, so please follow the order.

0) Back up registry and any firewall setup. Zone Alarm allows exporting
setup.

1) Unistall Windows Installer 3.1v2 and all updates after this, in revrese
cronological order, newest first, and reboot.

2) Completely disable, then uninstall any firewall or internet security you
have. Mine was Zone Alarm Pro, but I hear Panda is a known one for this,
too. Note that I had to disable virus protection before I could do this.
Reboot.

3) Manually download Windows Installer 3.1v2, install and reboot. I disabled
virus protection to be safe, first.

4) Run Windows Updates and get all updates. Reboot.

5) Test updates and test installing "any" software, just to see if the
install gets past Windows Installer to the actual program installation, etc.

6) Disable virus protection and then reinstall firewall and reboot.

7) For Zone Alarm, I had to disable virus protection and then I could import
my settings. When virus protection was active, I got errors.

NOTE: If running Zone Alarm and you are unable to install software, change
the Main Program Control to "Low" and try it again. I was at first still
unable to install anything until changing this to "Low". That means anytime
I want to install software, I have to temporarily change this. I never had
to do this before the Dec. 13 Windows Updates changed permission levels. I
do not mind having to change this to install a program, but do not forget to
set it back to Med. or High afterwards. This way you will know for sure that
no rogue trojan or virus can install any programs. I like it, actually, if
only MS would have told us the program levels were changed with updates.

If you are running some other firewall, look for it's program acces level
control knobs and you may get there with them.

Good luck.

By the way, thanks to all the MS-MVPs for your time and trying to help, as
well as your patience for those that were patient.

Tom

"Vince" <bo...@weedrecords.net> wrote in message

Vince

Jan 16, 2006, 8:49:32 PM1/16/06
Tom, I appreciate your reply.

unfortunately Windows Installer is not listed in my add/remove.

Also I am sing the Windows firewall, no zone alarm......

Vince

"Tom" <w...@wtf.com> wrote in message

Tom

Jan 16, 2006, 11:49:42 PM1/16/06
Well, according to MS,they don't support MS spyware or firewall.
Oh, and based on the email I got from them, they don't support windows
updates or windows if an update breaks it.

Either way, disable the firewall and it should work.

"Vince" <bo...@weedrecords.net> wrote in message

TaurArian [MS-MVP]

Jan 17, 2006, 4:24:41 AM1/17/06
This error message may occur if you have insufficient permissions to the Windows Update registry
keys. The WindowsUpdate.log file will also read errors 0x80070005 and 0x80080005.
http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/showarticle.aspx?articleid=13&ln=en

--
===========================
TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2006

Vince

Jan 17, 2006, 8:11:47 AM1/17/06
Wow!

I have the solution. Found it myself.

Believe me all this permissions nonsense is just that.
This is the fix; I think it will help a lot of people!

Notice that the files for the Windows installer 3.1 update are downloaded
into the software distribution folder in the windows directory.
the names were msiexec.exe, msi.dll, a couple of other files with msi in
their names,

One by one I drag and dropped these into my system 32 folder. I was prompted
would I like to overwrite... yes.

When I went back to windows update it recognized the windows installer as
being installed and downloaded my 32 XP updates without a hitch.
How is that for a beautifully simple fix that no-one seems to have thought
of.

I got the idea when one of the fixes said to try to use command prompt to
rename those same files in system32 (doesn't work). I reasoned that if you
could rename them safely, it wouldn't hurt to replace them.. with the right
versions.

Hope this helps some of you.. ! I sure wasted a lot of time and a hundred
restarts trying all the others.

Vince

"TaurArian [MS-MVP]" <taurarian...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Tom

Jan 17, 2006, 9:45:24 AM1/17/06
and it happens because of reg and file perm changes and that means whatever
firewall is controlling those layers needs to be adjusted or you will have
other problems like not being able to install programs, etc.

"Vince" <bo...@weedrecords.net> wrote in message

Vince

Jan 17, 2006, 10:10:00 AM1/17/06
the files were already downloaded onto the computer, it wasn't a firewall
issue. (0x80070005: Access is denied is not a firewall message)

As I said after I fixed windows installer I smoothly downloaded all 32
updates. No firewall problems here.

You should ditch zone alarm and go with Windows firewall and microsoft
antispyware if you are at the point where it seems everything must be
firewall related :-)

"Tom" <w...@wtf.com> wrote in message

Vince

Jan 17, 2006, 10:21:29 AM1/17/06
BTW firewalls don't control the registry or permissions. They anaylize
packets and decline to transfer data that fails to meet certain criteria.
Attributes of files on your system are not modified by the installation or
presence of a firewall.

Tom

Jan 17, 2006, 11:25:09 AM1/17/06
You are not understanding the issue and cause.
Perm levels changed on files and regs as part of their security patch.

To allow these new reg and file access, some firewalls need to be adjusted
in security levels to match.

Has nothing to do with the firewall.

"Vince" <bo...@weedrecords.net> wrote in message

Tom

Jan 17, 2006, 11:26:45 AM1/17/06
I know what a firewall does.
I've been running and creating Linuxx firewalls for 15 years.

Some new Windows firewalls do "much" more, like restrict access to files reg
perms for extra safety.
Windows firewalll does this, too.

"Vince" <bo...@weedrecords.net> wrote in message

TaurArian

Jan 17, 2006, 11:41:02 PM1/17/06
Pleased you found a solution that works for you and your problem is now
rectified.
Thank you for your feedback, it might assist others.
Kaylene