Windows Update & wuauserv fail

marvinmycat

Aug 31, 2008, 10:11:00 AM8/31/08
Windows XP Pro 64-bit

Windows Automatic Updates website reports "Administrators Only" and starting
wuauaserv generates error 126: spcified module not found.

So far, I've done 99% of what I could dig up on the web and on MS Support
sites. The list is huge of what I have done to date. BITS, etc. all other
processes work without problem. I'e gone through and registered all dll's
several times, edited the registry for any missing entries, changed
permissions of all associated processes, ran the update service as
Administrator, re-intalled SP2, etc. Nothing has wokred to date.

So where I'm at now, everytime I start Windows Update service, I revceive
the specified module not found message. What I'm hoping for, is that someone
can point me to where the dll file is that the service is calling in order to
even see if I'm missing a module, and how I would go about reading it.

Below is a lst of things I've done to date - thanks in advance for any help:

Per Support email:

Verify the System component
Click "Start" and "Run", type "REGSVR32 wuapi.DLL" (without quotations) in
the open box and click "OK".

Rename all the Windows Update temporary folders
1. Click "Start", "Run", type: "notepad C:\remove.bat" (without quotations)
and press Enter. Choose "Yes" when you are prompted.
2. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad
window.

net stop wuauserv
net stop CryptSvc
ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old
ren %windir%\SoftwareDistribution sold.old
net start CryptSvc
net start wuauserv

Ran that folder.

Reset Internet Explorer

Collected System Information, sent to support.

Reregister the Msinfo32.dll file. To do this, follow these steps:
a. Click Start, click Run, type Regsvr32 "c:\program files\common
files\microsoft shared\msinfo\msinfo32.dll"
File exists - receive error:
module not found.
Also did the above within the :Program Files (86)" directory. Same results
as above.

Make sure that Task Scheduler works. If you still experience the problem,
reregister the Schedsvc.dll file. To do this, follow these steps:
a. Click Start, click Run, type Regsvr32 "%SystemRoot%\System32\
schedsvc.dll", and then click OK.
file exists - receive error:
module not found.

downloaded windowsupdateagent30-x64.exe and ran command
"C:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x64.exe /wuforce"
received error from Windows Update Agent Installer:
Install failed with the following error number: 0x8007041d

register:
regsvr32.exe qmgrprxy.dll
regsvr32.exe qmgr.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wups2.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll

reboot and tried update for log file - below:

2008-08-09 08:49:23:921 948 a0c Misc =========== Logging initialized
(build: 7.0.6000.381, tz: -0400) ===========
2008-08-09 08:49:23:921 948 a0c Misc = Process: C:\Program Files
(x86)\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
2008-08-09 08:49:23:921 948 a0c Misc = Module:
C:\WINDOWS\SysWow64\wuapi.dll
2008-08-09 08:49:23:921 948 a0c COMAPI FATAL: Unable to connect to the
service (hr=80080005)
2008-08-09 08:49:23:921 948 a0c COMAPI WARNING: Unable to establish
connection to the service. (hr=80080005)
2008-08-09 08:49:55:015 948 a0c COMAPI FATAL: Unable to connect to the
service (hr=80080005)
2008-08-09 08:49:55:015 948 a0c COMAPI WARNING: Unable to establish
connection to the service. (hr=80080005)

Win Spt.:

At this time, we can try the following steps to repair Automatic Update
Service.

Reinstalling the Automatic Update Service:
===============================
Click Start / Run then type the following command then click OK.

%SystemRoot%\System32\rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection
DefaultInstall 132 %SystemRoot%\inf\au.inf

The setup process will try to restore the registry branches automatically.
You may not receive any notification. However, if some files cannot be
located automatically, we will be prompted to select the installation source.
Please click browse, and go to this location:

C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386

If this folder is not available, please choose the folder C:\Windows\System32.

Restart the computer and test the issue.

If the problem persists, let’s register all the components related to
Automatic Updates
========
Click Start, click Run, type the following command and click OK after each
roll. You are expected to receive a successful confirmation after running
each command:

REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL
REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL
REGSVR32 WUAUENG1.DLL
REGSVR32 WUCLTUI.DLL
REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL

Please visit the Windows Update site: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com to
test the issue again.

If any error code or error message was received when performing the steps
shown above, please capture a screenshot for my further research:
================
NOTE: In order to reduce the size of the screenshot file, please use the
JPEG format to save the picture. Please refer to the following steps.
How to capture a screenshot:
=======================
1. When the error appears, please press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on
your keyboard.
2. Click Start, click Run, type MSPAINT, and click OK.
3. In Paint, click Paste under the Edit Menu, click Save under the File
menu, type a file name for the screenshot, choose JPEG as "Save as type",
click "Desktop" on the left pane, and click Save.
4. Please find the screenshot on the Desktop and send it as an attachment to
support.

Thank you for your cooperation. Please try the steps shown above and let me
know the results at your earliest convenience. If you have any questions or
concerns regarding this issue, please don't hesitate to tell me. It is my
pleasure to be of assistance.

Microsoft Windows Support Professional

When running the command the first time, It was looking for file wwuapi.dll
from SP2 CD-ROM. I could not locate it on the OS install software w/ SP2
included, nor was it anywhere on the Internet. I had to cancel the process
in lieu of continuing without the file, as I'm looking at the steps ahead and
do not see that file included.
Per instructions, there is no path C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 on my
machine. The files wwuapi.dll and wwups.dll are not located in the above
directory or C:\Windows\System32.
When running the command a second time, the file wuapi.dll is needed from
SP2 CD-ROM (C:\WINODOWS\inf\amd64). I gave it the one on the CD-ROM. The
process window closed, and I've no clue if it completed succedssfully.

Registering files failed - REGSVR32 WUAUENG1.DLL (module not found).
5.7.3790.3959 Copied this file from Internet to System32 and SystemWOW64
directories, tried to register file and received "...not an executable file
and no registration helper is registered for this file type."

I'm an IDIOT!

cd %windir%\system32 - then registered following files:

• Regsvr32 Jscript.dll
• Regsvr32 Msxml3.dll
• Regsvr32 Atl.dll
• Regsvr32 Wuapi.dll
• Regsvr32 Wuaueng.dll
• Regsvr32 Wuaueng1.dll
• Regsvr32 Wucltui.dll
• Regsvr32 Wups.dll
• Regsvr32 Wuweb.dll

Rename the SoftwareDistribution folder. To do this, follow these steps:
a. Click Start, click Run, type %windir%, and then click OK.

Note The %windir% folder is the folder where you installed Microsoft Windows.
b. Locate the SoftwareDistribution folder.
c. Right-click the SoftwareDistribution folder, and then click Rename.
d. Type OldSD, and then press ENTER.
4. Start the Automatic Updates service and the BITS service. To do this,
follow these steps:
a. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
b. In the list of services, right-click Automatic Updates, and then click
Properties.
c. In the Automatic Updates Properties dialog box, click the General tab,
click Start, and then click OK.
d. In the list of services, right-click Background Intelligent Transfer
Service, and then click Properties.
e. In the Background Intelligent Transfer Service Properties dialog box,
click the General tab, click Start, and then click OK.

AutoUpdate fails - same error 126.

cd %windir%\sysWOW64 - then registered following files - all OK except as
noted below:

• Regsvr32 Jscript.dll
• Regsvr32 Msxml3.dll
• Regsvr32 Atl.dll
• Regsvr32 Wuapi.dll
• Regsvr32 Wuaueng.dll
• Regsvr32 Wuaueng1.dll
• Regsvr32 Wucltui.dll - module not found
• Regsvr32 Wups.dll
• Regsvr32 Wuweb.dll

Win Update - Admin error. Log:

2008-08-12 09:13:26-0400 1232 b6c ChangeServiceConfig for wuauserv succeeded
2008-08-12 09:14:11-0400 2432 604 CreateObject for
Microsoft.Update.AgentInfo failed: error 0x80040111
2008-08-12 09:14:41-0400 2432 604 Unable to connect to the service
(hr=80080005)
2008-08-12 09:14:41-0400 2432 604 Unable to establish connection to the
service. (hr=80080005)
2008-08-12 09:14:42-0400 2432 604 CreateObject for
Microsoft.Update.AgentInfo failed: error 0x80040111
2008-08-12 09:15:12-0400 2432 604 Unable to connect to the service
(hr=80080005)
2008-08-12 09:15:12-0400 2432 604 Unable to establish connection to the
service. (hr=80080005)
2008-08-12 09:24:15-0400 1116 8c ChangeServiceConfig for wuauserv succeeded
2008-08-12 09:26:13-0400 2712 3b4 CreateObject for
Microsoft.Update.AgentInfo failed: error 0x80040111
2008-08-12 09:26:43-0400 2712 3b4 Unable to connect to the service
(hr=80080005)
2008-08-12 09:26:43-0400 2712 3b4 Unable to establish connection to the
service. (hr=80080005)
2008-08-12 09:27:02-0400 2576 308 CreateObject for
Microsoft.Update.AgentInfo failed: error 0x80040111
2008-08-12 09:27:32-0400 2576 308 Unable to connect to the service
(hr=80080005)
2008-08-12 09:27:32-0400 2576 308 Unable to establish connection to the
service. (hr=80080005)
2008-08-12 09:27:33-0400 2576 308 CreateObject for
Microsoft.Update.AgentInfo failed: error 0x80040111
2008-08-12 09:28:03-0400 2576 308 Unable to connect to the service
(hr=80080005)
2008-08-12 09:28:03-0400 2576 308 Unable to establish connection to the
service. (hr=80080005)

copied from install CD AMD64 to Windows\sysWOW64 wucltui.dll, tried to
register - failed after renaming to .dll.
system32 registers fine.

====================================================================================================================

At this time, I suggest we try the following steps to reinstall Windows 2003
SP2 to fix the issue.

Suggestion 1: Set Cryptographic Services to automatic
==============================
Set the Cryptographic Services to Automatic, and then try to install the
program again. To set the Cryptographic Services to Automatic, follow these
steps: 1. Start the Administrative Tools utility in Control Panel.

2. Double-click Services.
3. Right-click "Cryptographic Services", and then click Properties.
4. Click Automatic for Startup type, and then click “Start”. If it is
started, please stop and then restart it.

setup was fine.

Suggestion 2: Clear the temporary file and restart the hotfix installation
or the service pack installation

1. Delete all the tmp*.cat files in the following folders:

%systemroot%\system32\CatRoot\{127D0A1D-4EF2-11D1-8608-00C04FC295EE}

0 found
%systemroot%\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}

0 found

2. Delete all the kb*.cat files in the following folders:

%systemroot%\System32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}

40 deleted

%systemroot%\System32\CatRoot\{127D0A1D-4EF2-11D1-8608-00C04FC295EE}

0 found

3. Delete all the oem*.* files from the %systemroot%\inf folder.

76 deleted
4. At the command prompt, type the following commands. Press ENTER after
each command.

net stop cryptsvc
ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 oldcatroot2
net start cryptsvc
exit

stopped, renamed, started ok.

Suggestion 3: Remove the hidden attribute from %Windir% and from its
subfolders

1. Click “Start”, click “Run”, type cmd in the Open box, and then OK.

2. At the command prompt, type the following commands, pressing ENTER after
each line:

attrib -s -h %windir%
attrib -s -h %windir%\system32
attrib -s -h %windir%\system32\catroot2
exit

everyhing good, except we renamed the catroot2 to oldcatroot2 - geeze!

Suggestion 4: Reregister DLL files that are associated with Cryptographic
Services

1. Click “Start”, click “Run”, type cmd in the Open box, and then OK.

2. At the command prompt, type the following commands, and press ENTER after
each command:

regsvr32 /u softpub.dll
regsvr32 /u wintrust.dll
regsvr32 /u initpki.dll
regsvr32 /u dssenh.dll
regsvr32 /u rsaenh.dll
regsvr32 /u gpkcsp.dll
regsvr32 /u sccbase.dll
regsvr32 /u slbcsp.dll
regsvr32 /u mssip32.dll
regsvr32 /u cryptdlg.dll

exit

Note Click OK if you are prompted.

all worked.

3. Restart your computer.
4. Click “Start”, click “Run”, type cmd in the Open box, and then click OK.
5. At the command prompt, type the following commands, and press ENTER
after each command:

regsvr32 softpub.dll
regsvr32 wintrust.dll
regsvr32 initpki.dll
regsvr32 dssenh.dll
regsvr32 rsaenh.dll
regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll
regsvr32 sccbase.dll
regsvr32 slbcsp.dll
regsvr32 mssip32.dll
regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll
exit

all good.

Note Click OK if you are prompted.

6. Restart the computer.

ok...

Suggestion 5: Rename the Edb.log file
=============================

1. Click “Start”, click “Run”, type cmd in the Open box, and then OK.

2. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2\Edb.log *.tst

done.

Suggestion 6: Download and Install Service Pack 2 manually
==================================

Please first visit the link and download the patch to Desktop.

Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 (32-bit x86):

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=95ac1610-c232-4644-b828-c55eec605d55&DisplayLang=en

NO - TRY 64-bit:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=08fec2f5-6e3b-4e0d-9314-646414d0a421&DisplayLang=en

Please double click the downloaded update file and install it. If any error
appears during the installation, please help to capture an error screenshot.
The detailed error information will be very useful for us to narrow down the
issue.

SP2 installed without problems. UPdate failes with "Administrators Only"
message.

Screenshot

----------------------------

1) When the error message appears press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on
your keyboard.
2) Click “Start”, click “Run”, type MSPAINT, and click “OK”.
3) In Paint, click Paste under the Edit Menu, click Save under the File
menu, type a file name for the snap shot, choose JPEG as "Save as type", and
click Save.
4) Please send this file to my email account: v-3...@mssupport.microsoft.com

svcpack.log
======================

1) Click "Start", click "Run", type: %windir% and then press Enter.
2) Locate a file named "svcpack.log".
3) Please send this file to my email account:

If that dose not works, this issue can be caused by the second factor. At
that point, I suggest involving our Windows 2003 supporter to get
professional help. Please be assured that I will provide further help
regarding the issue.

http://www.p2plife.com/forums/All_updates_fail-t1938.html

added BITS and wuauserv entries to
HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\SvcHost.
Rebooted.

nope.

%SystemRoot%\System32\rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection
DefaultInstall132 %SystemRoot%\inf\au.inf

still stuck.

MowGreen [MVP]

Aug 31, 2008, 3:13:39 PM8/31/08
This page:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=08fec2f5-6e3b-4e0d-9314-646414d0a421&DisplayLang=en

Shows a download for Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 for x64 Editions
when you've plainly stated that this is Windows XP Pro x64.

Why would that be recommended and how did it install ?

Which Service Pack level is the system at now ?
Go to Start > Run > type in

msinfo32

Click OK or press Enter
Under Item, the second one states which SP level the system is now at.

The 'tech' never inquired as to the antivirus/security software installed ?

* WHAT is the installed antivirus/security suite; is a 3rd party
firewall being used; what are the installed add-ons/toolbars ? *

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

gregeaton

Sep 20, 2008, 11:49:45 AM9/20/08
I've received a few more procedures to follow from MS Support, but they haven't resolved anything. In fact, they made it worse by going backwards. I now receive Error 126 - specified module not found, when starting the Win Auto Upd Svc.

Error logs:

2008-09-20 10:58:25-0400 1092 45c WUCheckForUpdatesAtShutdown failed, hr=8024000C
2008-09-20 10:58:33-0400 368 b90 WUAutoUpdateAtShutdown failed, hr=8024000C

No clue why they directed me to that download.

I'm on SP2 - msinfo does not work now as I receive Error 1083 when starting the Help and Support service - thanks MS Spt.!

It would not allow me to install the 32-bit version of that update. 64-bit version is in.

Antivirus is Spyware Detector, I'm only running Windows Firewall and whatever TWC uses. I've tried updates with the AV software disabled, but the problem lies with wuauaserve.

Updates are installed using the 32-bit version IE, which I keep with minimal addons enabled. Currently they are Flash9f, SSVHelper Class (Sun), and Sun Java Console, nothing else.

I can most likely resolve the DLL issue again as I have done previously, but that only gets me to the Error 1053 - service taking too long to start, again.

MowGreen [MVP]

Sep 23, 2008, 11:48:16 AM9/23/08
> Antivirus is Spyware Detector, I'm only running Windows Firewall and whatever TWC uses.

AFAIK, Spyware Detector is, at worst, rogue anti-spyware betrayware. At
best, it scans the system quickly " but speed is the product's only
virtue. It can't remove spyware as well as the best standalone products,
and it offers little protection against spyware installation on a clean
system. "

*Strongly* suggest you uninstall it, reboot, and see if the system can
update. Replace it with an *antivirus*, like Avast. Avast is compatible
with any Windows OS [it needs a few tweaks to run in Win ME}.

*Prior* to installing Avast [or, whichever AV you choose], suggest you
attempt running the AU Check Tool:
http://www.codeplex.com/aureset/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=17263

Download and *save* it. Once the download completes, close all open
programs and browsers.
Then, with the system connected to the net/network, run
au_check_v78_codeplex.exe. Reboot.
Can the system update now ?

BTW, what is " TWC " ?

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]