Vista update will not install

Dave

May 20, 2007, 1:58:01 PM5/20/07
I am trying to install Vista update KB929735 but it fails every time with
error code 80073712. Can anyone help?

TaurArian [MS-MVP]

May 21, 2007, 6:36:08 AM5/21/07
The "Windows Features" dialog box is empty in Windows Vista, or you receive an error
message that includes the following code when you try to use Windows Update: "0x80073712"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931712/en-us

--
====================================
TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2007 - Australia

"Dave" <Da...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Mohit Kapoor

Sep 9, 2007, 12:18:03 PM9/9/07

Some steps you can try and I am sure it will resolve the issue.

1.From admin command prompt type net stop wuauserv and net stop cryptsvc and
then delete the softwaredistribution and catroot2 folder under c:\windows and
c:\windows\system32 respectively.

2.Look for these files under c:\windows\winsxs
Pending.xml and Pending.grl
Take the ownership of these files and delete them.
Along with this also check if you have these values under registry

• PendingXmldentifier
• NextQueueEntryIndex
• AdvancedInstallersNeedResolving

in the location HKLM/Components

If present delete them as well.

3.Run from admin command prompt
reg delete HKLM\COMPONENTS /v StoreDirty

Restart the computer and try updating again.

If issue still remains try these

1.Install WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe
from
http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe
save to the desktop, and run from an elevated command prompt, adding
/wuforce to the end of the command

2.Uninstall any antivirus or firewall software.

3.try running sfc scan in the WinRE ( sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\
/offwindir=C:\windows )

All the Best!!