Windows update questions XXX

CP

Oct 26, 2008, 10:30:46 PM10/26/08
I have picked up a bug of some kind on one of my Windows XP Home PC's.
It did a lot of damage, mostly of which I fixed.
I still have a problem where if I go to www.windowsupdate.com and try to
update the page hangs.
I tried using Firefox to do the same thing but MS doesn't allow it although
it does say something about going to Control Panel/System/AutoUpdates and
then clicking Maintenance or something similar to get updates but I don't
see what there talking about.
What other options are there for getting Updates? Can I download to my PC
and then take it to the infected PC? Is there a way other than using the
Windowsupdate page to download files to get the PC current? The PC is
currently at pre-SP1.
Thanks
CP

Shenan Stanley

Oct 26, 2008, 10:41:48 PM10/26/08

First thing to try:
As many will tell you - ignore the title and symptoms listed in the article
referred to. Do method 1 and 2 and see if it fixes your issue whether or
not you repaired anything.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
Try method 1 and try to update*.
If fails - try method 2 and try to update*.

*try to update:
- Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
- If it asks you to install anything before you see a selection of "Custom"
or "Express" - do so.
- Once you see the "Custom" or "Express" selection, choose "Custom".
- Scan for updates.
- When it lists what it finds - install the critical ones.
- You are generally safe doing the Optional Software Updates. I suggest
avoiding the Optional Hardware Updates completely.

Second thing to try:
http://www.codeplex.com/aureset

Third thing to try:
Get Dial-a-Fix:
http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix

Use its options to fix:
- Windows Installer
- Windows Update
- All the Registration Center options.

Turn off the "Empty System32\Catroot 2"
Do NOT do "Flush SoftwareDistribution".

Then click "GO" and wait until it is done... Reboot will be needed.

- Download/Install Windows Update v3.
(You *may* need to install it using the command line switch "/wuforce"
right after the reboot - immediately after logging in.)

- Reboot.
- Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and scan for/install updates.

Usually - method one from the first suggestion fixes the issue.
Sometimes they have to proceed to method two from the first suggestion.

Less seldom - but it does happen - only the tool from the second suggestion
will work - although the first suggestion is contained within the second in
many ways (as well as some of the third.)

And the third suggestion is there because before there was a suggestion (1)
and a suggestion (2) - the third was the best bet and worked in most cases.

Let us know!

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

TaurArian

Oct 27, 2008, 3:46:58 AM10/27/08
You'll need SP2 before you can even look at WU page -
Windows XP Service Pack 2 - download (for single PCs also)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en

After you install SP2 successfully, then you could install SP3 and so on via
WU.

FYI -

You can also download individual updates from the Catalog and save to be
installed later.
http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx

Search for a download
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displaylang=en

How to install multiple Windows updates or hotfixes with only one reboot
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296861

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"CP" <cpt...@gmail.com> wrote in message

CP

Oct 27, 2008, 7:05:09 PM10/27/08
Thanks. Really appreciate it.

My only concern is that I'm not even to SP1.

"TaurArian" <taur...@gmail.com> wrote in message

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Oct 27, 2008, 7:22:15 PM10/27/08
HOW TO get WinXP Gold fully patched:

1a. Download & save the installer for WinXP SP2 to your desktop:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a

[Yes, you can skip SP1]

1b. Download & save the installer for WinXP SP3 to your desktop:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5b33b5a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f3d4

2. Read & heed:
http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron/archive/2008/05/08/windows-xp-sp3-read-all-prerequisites-for-a-successful-installation.aspx

3a. Logged in as Administrator, if necessary, double-click on the saved file
to install WinXP *SP2*. Follow all prompts; be patient, and reboot twice
when the install completes.

3b. Logged in as Administrator, if necessary, double-click on the saved file
to install WinXP SP3. Follow all prompts; be patient, and reboot twice when
the install completes.

4. Do Resolution Method 2 here (trust me):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

5. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Install any required software
then click on CONTINUE | Select CUSTOM and scan | Install any critical
security updates offered. Again, follow all prompts.

[I do NOT recommend installing IE7 via Windows Update.]

6. Make certain that Automatic Updates is enabled; cf.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525

Addtional References:

http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=1173 | select "Windows

Protect Your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/computer/default.mspx

Learn how to protect your PC by taking three simple steps
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=3AD23728-4973-4DA5-9836-602954130D38
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net