WindowsUpdate_8000FFFF

smaro

Apr 4, 2008, 11:45:01 AM4/4/08
Hallo, there.
I have a problem i cannot get any Windows Updates. I have chose the
Automatical Update option but nothing.
then when i try to do it my self it brings me out this error code:
WindowsUpdate_8000FFFF.
Any sugections?
--
S.K.

TaurArian

Apr 4, 2008, 5:38:22 PM4/4/08
8000FFFF - Generic Unexpected error. Could be due to corruption in the registry values -
"PendingXmldentifier"
"NextQueueEntryIndex"
"AdvancedInstallersNeedResolving"
under the registry key: HKLM\Components.

1. Click on Start and in the Search box type in regedit

2. A new program will be listed in the same window. Now right click the regedit program
and then select the option run as administrator.

3. Navigate to HKLM\COMPONENTS - look to see if these values exist under
the COMPONENTS key:

PendingXmldentifier
NextQueueEntryIndex
AdvancedInstallersNeedResolving

4. If they exist, then delete the three values.

NB: Before deleting the anything in the registry, make sure you back up the keys - click
the File option on the main toolbar, in the drop down menu select Export Select All in the
Export Registry File dialog box
Give the file a name, then click the Save button
If something goes wrong, then all you have to do is click on the File option on the main
registry editor toolbar and then select Import
Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may require you to
reinstall your operating system. Use the information provided at your own risk.

5. Restart the computer.

OR

Either a Third party program is affecting the WU Service (anti-spwyare programs,
Internet/web accelerators, Firewall/Anti-Virus programs) or the downloaded file is
corrupt.
Suggest you rename the SoftwareDistribution folder to whatever you like. This will take
care of any corrupted downloaded files.

How to rename the SoftwareDistribution folder in Vista -
1. Stop the Windows Update service (make sure you are logged on as an Administrator)

Start button || Control Panel ||System and Maintenance ||Administrative Tools
Double-click Services
(Provide the Administrator password or confirmation if prompted to do so.)
Right-click the Windows Update service and click Stop.

2. Click Start, type %windir% in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

Locate and rename the SoftwareDistribution folder.

3. Start the Windows Update service

Start button || Control Panel ||System and Maintenance ||Administrative Tools
Double-click Services
(Provide the Administrator password or confirmation if prompted to do so.)
Right-click the Windows Update service and click Start.

This procedure will erase your history on the Windows Update Site. Not important.

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"smaro" <smaragda_ka...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Rogan68

May 1, 2008, 2:08:37 PM5/1/08

This fixed my issue of the ErrorCode: 0x8000FFFF when trying to update
Windows Vista Ultimate to SP1, etc.!

Thank you very much, TaurArian!

--
Rogan68
Rogan68's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=47890

http://forums.techarena.in

y4me

Apr 4, 2009, 12:30:01 AM4/4/09
I am using win 7, and it did not solved that Error

TaurArian

Apr 4, 2009, 12:57:43 AM4/4/09
Windows 7 Beta Forum :
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro/

y4me wrote:
:: I am using win 7, and it did not solved that Error

JP Miller

Nov 11, 2009, 3:40:01 PM11/11/09

I have the same error in Vista 64 on HP desktop. Symptoms seem exactly the
same. I tried all suggestions, regedit, renaming folder etc. I am getting
this message it appears while the download is taking place. The file size in
one case was small and it seemed an inordinately long time to download. Any
further suggestions?
--
JP

MowGreen

Nov 11, 2009, 5:08:59 PM11/11/09
WHICH Vista ... Vista x64 ? Vista x64 SP1 ? Vista x64 SP2 ?

Since you did not specify which, try this tool:

Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista, for
Windows Server 2008, for Windows 7, and for Windows Server 2008 R2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

This is the correct link to download the tool for Vista x64 -

The System Update Readiness Tool for x64-based Systems
(KB947821)[September 2009] -
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=f6f353c0-d00e-43e7-97ef-0feefc7ff064

Background: Possible cause of Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 OS
update failures with error code 0x8000ffff
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2008/09/10/8942619.aspx

The 8000FFFF error is being caused by an inconsistency or
inconsistencies in Component Based Servicing' or, there is an issue
caused by some missing permissions that prevented the Cryptographic
Services from being able to access the catalog database.
The System Update Readiness Tool *may* resolve it.

If not, you can attempt

1) Run sfc /scannow from an Elevated Command Prompt
2) a. Edit the registry so that the data of the updates no longer points
to missing content in Windows\winsxs

b. Using the CBS.log, find out which updates have missing .manifest or
.mum files, download the updates that contain the missing .manifest or
.mum files; extract the .manifest or .mum files from the updates and
place them in their proper location in Windows\winsxs

3) Do an in-place upgrade (aka Repair Installation) using the Vista DVD
installation media
4) Reformat and reinstall Vista

MowGreen
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"