Windows Update Failed: Error number (0x80070020)

Allison

May 23, 2007, 10:43:02 PM5/23/07
I was trying to download updates for my laptop when the Update Site asked to
"Update Windows" to work with this website. And of course it didn't work and
the resulting error code

0x80070020

Does anyone have a resolution

Patti MacLeod

May 24, 2007, 1:09:00 AM5/24/07
Hi Allison,

See if the information in this MSKB article helps resolve the problem:

You receive a "0x80070020 The process cannot access the file because it is
being used by another process" error message when you try to download an
update from Windows Update or from Microsoft Update
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883825/en-us

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

Robin Walker [MVP]

May 24, 2007, 7:25:15 AM5/24/07
Allison <All...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I was trying to download updates for my laptop when the Update Site
> asked to "Update Windows" to work with this website. And of course
> it didn't work and the resulting error code
>
> 0x80070020

Try stopping background Automatic Updates before visiting the Windows Update
site again. Open a command prompt window and type the command:

net stop wuauserv

then visit Windows Update and see if the updater now works.

--
Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
rd...@cam.ac.uk

ERH

May 24, 2007, 2:51:01 PM5/24/07
Go to
http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe save and install this patch

Next download and install this patch - WindowsXP-KB927891-v3-x86-ENU.exe

Retry the upload

maxmalaw

May 25, 2007, 4:35:01 AM5/25/07

maxmalaw

May 25, 2007, 4:44:01 AM5/25/07

maxmalaw

May 25, 2007, 4:52:00 AM5/25/07

maxmalaw

May 25, 2007, 4:52:00 AM5/25/07

maxmalaw

May 25, 2007, 4:51:00 AM5/25/07

VT Phantos

Jul 6, 2007, 9:50:00 PM7/6/07
I tried that too, but it starts to install and then says that the install
failed and gives the code "0x80070020"
I tried all the above solutions and still nothing. I'm thinking that
something is wrong with the update. Someone might want to look into it.

TaurArian [MS-MVP]

Jul 7, 2007, 9:50:11 PM7/7/07
You receive a "0x80070020 The process cannot access the file because it is being used by
another process" error message when you try to download an update from Windows Update or
from Microsoft Update
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;883825
If you're running SpyBot S&D's "teatimer" then you'll need to end the process in task
manager - thanks to VBBob

--
====================================
TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia

"VT Phantos" <VTPh...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

kaya

Jul 9, 2007, 7:57:59 PM7/9/07

I had the same problem thank you for the sollution at my end.
However i am not speaking for the first poster.
I hope it worked for him/her 2.

the sollution to my problem was :

--
kaya
kaya's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=27729

http://forums.techarena.in

me

Jul 14, 2007, 11:51:08 AM7/14/07
On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 05:27:59 +0530, kaya <kaya....@DoNotSpam.com>
wrote:

>I had the same problem thank you for the sollution at my end.
>However i am not speaking for the first poster.
>I hope it worked for him/her 2.
>
>the sollution to my problem was :
>

>> If you're running SpyBot S&D's "teatimer" then you'll need to end the
>> process in task
>> manager - thanks to VBBob

I was able to disable teatimer from the task bar. Apparently it
doesn't play well with WGA.

Jimmy

Jul 17, 2007, 12:52:04 AM7/17/07
Here's an easy simple way to disable Spybot Search & Destroy so you
will be able to downonload Windows updates if you get this message.....

"Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested
page".

Error 0x80070020

How? Right click the spybot icon (on the start bar near the clock) and
choose "Exit Spybot-S&D Resident".

As simple as that.

You can go back and enable it after you update.

vivek.r...@gmail.com

Sep 15, 2016, 10:09:39 AM9/15/16

kayob...@gmail.com

Jun 24, 2020, 8:47:49 AM6/24/20