You would think MS would resolve this problem with MS Updates

CaliforniaDreamer

Feb 9, 2007, 6:46:25 PM2/9/07
Like many others here posting their issues with MS Updates I too have many
problems with MS Updates. Windows updates works fine but as soon as you
upgrade to MS Updates you can never get it to work consistently. you would
think that with all the posts going on in here with others having the same
issues that Microsoft would have posted fixes and updates for this. But if
you can't update how are you going to get that update? Well here is my
problem. Like I said as soon as I upgrade to MS Updates I have problems. I
get many different error codes. the favorite one is 0x8DDD0009. I found that
if you remove the Windows Installer 3.1, reboot and reload the Windows
Installer 3.1 that sometimes it will work but then other times it will not.
I'm going to browse this NG for past posts but if anyone recognizes this
error code and has a solution to post please do so. Thanks to all.

Shenan Stanley

Feb 9, 2007, 7:04:53 PM2/9/07

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?query=0x8DDD0009&dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&cat=en_US_2231886c-4c59-45b0-92e0-8881ddf5f40b&lang=en&cr=US&pt=1fb9885a-6840-48df-b845-31a5188de97a&catlist=18269d9b-486b-46eb-b15e-0796666fe81a&dglist=&ptlist=&exp=&sloc=en-us

None of that work?

I suggest doing the following - perhaps in safe mode if it gives you trouble
in normal mode (do normal first) - and seeing if it fixes whatever problem
you have...

I'm going to give you a response that should cover most bases. It is not
mine - but it may do the trick for you...
(It covers a lot of bases.)

Reboot your computer and have nothing open before you start the steps....
Just log in and follow them, then when it has you rebooting - first thing
you should try is visiting http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and seeing
what happens (in Internet Explorer.) Please come back and report!

Anton Pegan wrote:
-------------------
Try the following steps:
1. Click Start, Run, type: notepad C:\register.bat and press Enter. Choose
Yes when you are prompted.
2. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad
window:

regsvr32 comcat.dll /s
regsvr32 shdoc401.dll /s
regsvr32 shdoc401.dll /i /s
regsvr32 asctrls.ocx /s
regsvr32 oleaut32.dll /s
regsvr32 shdocvw.dll /I /s
regsvr32 shdocvw.dll /s
regsvr32 browseui.dll /s
regsvr32 browseui.dll /I /s
regsvr32 msrating.dll /s
regsvr32 mlang.dll /s
regsvr32 hlink.dll /s
regsvr32 mshtmled.dll /s
regsvr32 urlmon.dll /s
regsvr32 plugin.ocx /s
regsvr32 sendmail.dll /s
regsvr32 scrobj.dll /s
regsvr32 mmefxe.ocx /s
regsvr32 corpol.dll /s
regsvr32 jscript.dll /s
regsvr32 msxml.dll /s
regsvr32 imgutil.dll /s
regsvr32 thumbvw.dll /s
regsvr32 cryptext.dll /s
regsvr32 rsabase.dll /s
regsvr32 inseng.dll /s
regsvr32 iesetup.dll /i /s
regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll /s
regsvr32 actxprxy.dll /s
regsvr32 dispex.dll /s
regsvr32 occache.dll /s
regsvr32 occache.dll /i /s
regsvr32 iepeers.dll /s
regsvr32 urlmon.dll /i /s
regsvr32 cdfview.dll /s
regsvr32 webcheck.dll /s
regsvr32 mobsync.dll /s
regsvr32 pngfilt.dll /s
regsvr32 licmgr10.dll /s
regsvr32 icmfilter.dll /s
regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx /s
regsvr32 inetcfg.dll /s
regsvr32 tdc.ocx /s
regsvr32 MSR2C.DLL /s
regsvr32 msident.dll /s
regsvr32 msieftp.dll /s
regsvr32 xmsconf.ocx /s
regsvr32 ils.dll /s
regsvr32 msoeacct.dll /s
regsvr32 inetcomm.dll /s
regsvr32 msdxm.ocx /s
regsvr32 dxmasf.dll /s
regsvr32 l3codecx.ax /s
regsvr32 acelpdec.ax /s
regsvr32 mpg4ds32.ax /s
regsvr32 voxmsdec.ax /s
regsvr32 danim.dll /s
regsvr32 Daxctle.ocx /s
regsvr32 lmrt.dll /s
regsvr32 datime.dll /s
regsvr32 dxtrans.dll /s
regsvr32 dxtmsft.dll /s
regsvr32 WEBPOST.DLL /s
regsvr32 WPWIZDLL.DLL /s
regsvr32 POSTWPP.DLL /s
regsvr32 CRSWPP.DLL /s
regsvr32 FTPWPP.DLL /s
regsvr32 FPWPP.DLL /s
regsvr32 WUAPI.DLL /s
regsvr32 WUAUENG.DLL /s
regsvr32 ATL.DLL /s
regsvr32 WUCLTUI.DLL /s
regsvr32 WUPS.DLL /s
regsvr32 WUWEB.DLL /s
regsvr32 wshom.ocx /s
regsvr32 wshext.dll /s
regsvr32 vbscript.dll /s
regsvr32 scrrun.dll mstinit.exe /setup /s
regsvr32 msnsspc.dll /SspcCreateSspiReg /s
regsvr32 msapsspc.dll /SspcCreateSspiReg /s
regsvr32 /s urlmon.dll
regsvr32 /s mshtml.dll
regsvr32 /s shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 /s browseui.dll
regsvr32 /s jscript.dll
regsvr32 /s vbscript.dll
regsvr32 /s scrrun.dll
regsvr32 /s msxml.dll
regsvr32 /s actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 /s softpub.dll
regsvr32 /s wintrust.dll
regsvr32 /s dssenh.dll
regsvr32 /s rsaenh.dll
regsvr32 /s gpkcsp.dll
regsvr32 /s sccbase.dll
regsvr32 /s slbcsp.dll
regsvr32 /s cryptdlg.dll
regsvr32 /s schannel.dll
regsvr32 /s oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 /s ole32.dll
regsvr32 /s shell32.dll
regsvr32 /s initpki.dll
regsvr32 /s msscript.ocx
regsvr32 /s dispex.dll
regsvr32 jscript.dll /s
del %temp% /Q /F
net stop wuauserv
ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old
cd /d %windir%\SoftwareDistribution
rd /s DataStore /Q
regsvr32 wuapi.dll /s
regsvr32 wups.dll /s
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll /s
regsvr32 wucltui.dll /s
regsvr32 wuweb.dll /s
regsvr32 msxml.dll /s
regsvr32 msxml2.dll /s
regsvr32 msxml3.dll /s
regsvr32 urlmon.dll /s
net start wuauserv
exit

3. After you paste the above commands, please close the Notepad window.
Choose Yes when you are prompted to save the file.
4. Click Start, Run, type:
C:\register.bat and press Enter to run the commands I have pasted.
The Process may take sometime.
After this restart your computer and try Windows Update.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

PA Bear

Feb 9, 2007, 8:08:56 PM2/9/07
MS is aware of the problems some (but certainly not all) encounter when
using Microsoft Update as the default. Until it's fixed, change your
default back to Windows Update, and get updates of MS Office via Office
Update.

Go to Microsoft Update > Click on Change Settings in left pane > Scroll to
bottom of page > To Stop Using Microsoft Update > Disable Microsoft Update
software and let me use Windows Update only (check).
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Hawai''''i Bill

Feb 9, 2007, 9:40:00 PM2/9/07
Shenan,

I wrote that your hard work was NOT helpful because you did not
provide a notion, at least, of what you are doing in Register 32. Let's
say you are the brightest light at Microsoft but we still need to know
what we are doing on OUR machines and the next step if it fails!.

Thank you.

Hawai`i Bill

Shenan Stanley

Feb 9, 2007, 10:24:02 PM2/9/07
<snipped original message - use Google Groups!>
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/fa159c4a03a22b96/139d69e4cf7f77ed

Hawai''''i Bill wrote:
> I wrote that your hard work was NOT helpful because you did not
> provide a notion, at least, of what you are doing in Register 32.
> Let's say you are the brightest light at Microsoft but we still
> need to know what we are doing on OUR machines and the next step if
> it fails!.

First off... This is a VOLUNTEER newsgroup.
I am not affiliated with Microsoft.
I do not work for them or have any obligations to them or anyone I answer
beyond my desire to assist.

Second - I noted quite clearly the post was *not* mine - but one that I
located and reposted - I even gave proper credit to the original author.

Third - while I do not mind HELPING others - I would expect that one would
not follow advice they do not attempt to understand. What that means to me
is that the one reading it *should* take the time to see what the advice I
am giving them does and *if* it has been given before and *if* it helped
others in the past, etc. I assume those posting here have some incentive to
learn - or why ask the question? They could just pay someone else to fix it
for them.

Fourth - my first suggestion was a link to the proper search string -
utilizing Google Groups and the OPs own words - that would show them MANY
posts similar to theirs - some with solutions.

Fifth - I'll throw you a pointer to assist you on your own research on the
subject...

Usage: regsvr32 [/u] [/s] [/n] [/i[:cmdline]] dllname

/u - Unregister server
/s - Silent; display no message boxes
/i - Call DllInstall passing it an optional [cmdline]; when used with /u
calls dll uninstall
/n - do not call DllRegisterServer; this option must be used with /i

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%22net+stop+wuauserv%22+author%3AShenan+author%3AStanley&start=0&scoring=d&num=10&lr=&as_drrb=q&as_mind=1&as_minm=1&as_miny=1981&as_maxd=9&as_maxm=2&as_maxy=2007&safe=off&

Each one of those regsrvr32 lines re-registers a DLL that should already be
registered (but may have become unregistered for many reasons) on your
system. The script also stops the Automatic Updates services and
renames/removes directories associated with it - so it will be recreated
when the script starts the service(s) again. That way if there was any
corruption in its directory structure - it will not be there when done.

Otherwise - http://www.google.com/ is a fine place to start and research up
on what the DLLs listed do.
Maybe here?
http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/dlllibrary/

Last - Seeing that you still utilize the Web Interface for these
newsgroups... might I suggest using a better, feature-filled application
such as a true newsreader? Even using Outlook Express would make it easier
for you to search/utilize these newsgroups than the much-agreed upon poor
Web Interface...

Example:
Setting up Outlook Express Newsreader for MSNews:

G'Luck.

CaliforniaDreamer

Feb 12, 2007, 12:38:20 PM2/12/07
Hi Bill,
I am well aware of how these NG's work and that all information given is to
be used or taken with "no guarantees". Like Shenan wrote this is a volunteer
NG and any posts by others offering their assistance should be used at the
poster's own discrection. What Shenen provided is very useful and much
appreciated. I did google the codes and pretty much came up with the same
feedback. So Shenen I do thank you. If you are not aware or do not have the
experience or knowledge to know what you are asking and what others are
suggesting then I suggest you use MS Support and pay for the support call.
That way it is guaranteed and they will work with you until the issues or
problems are resolved.
thanjks to all for their comments and suggestions and thanks to PA Bear to
posting how to go back to Windows Updates. I've always wondered how I could
do that if needed.

"Shenan Stanley" <newsh...@gmail.com> wrote in message

PA Bear

Feb 12, 2007, 9:08:21 PM2/12/07
YW, CD.

In case anybody missed it:

To make Windows Update your default after using Microsoft Update: Go to

Microsoft Update > Click on Change Settings in left pane > Scroll to bottom
of page > To Stop Using Microsoft Update > Disable Microsoft Update software
and let me use Windows Update only (check).
--

~PA Bear

<*(((><

Feb 15, 2007, 6:09:00 AM2/15/07
Not a solution, but an alternative. If you go to shavlik.com and use their
updating software, you can download the windows updates just fine.

--
<*(((><

"CaliforniaDreamer" <nou...@nodomain.com> wrote in message