local user accounts

ahmad...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2007, 12:01:09 PM4/3/07
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to create a local user account on a windows NT box. I tried
User Manager but could only create domain users. Would that be the
place to create local accounts as well? If yes, can anyone help with
steps?

Much appreciated.

Ahmad

FortyPoundHead.Com

Apr 3, 2007, 3:43:32 PM4/3/07

Is this Windows NT box a Domain controller? If you are trying to
create a local user on a domain controller, give it up. If user
manager is run with the focus set on a domain controller, you can only
create domain level accounts.

This can be evidenced if you fire up User Manager on a workstation,
and try to set the focus on a PDC or BDC. You'll get a warning saying
that the machine is a dc and that any changes made will affect the
domain.

To set focus to a machine, select a member server or workstation. In
user manager, click 'User' on the top menu, then click 'Select
Domain'. In the dialog, enter the machine name, preceded by two
backslashes, thusly:

\\MyMachineName

This will remotely connect you to the target machine security manager,
allowing you to manage the local accounts on the target machine.

Once again, PDC/BDC = Domain level focus. Member Server or
workstation = local machine focus.

Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

Thanks,
Derek

www.fortypoundhead.com