Security NT after support withdrawn

1 view

rho...@yahoo.com

Nov 21, 2005, 10:21:57 AM11/21/05
Any recommendations for securing NT going forward? My shop has a
couple hundred Windows servers, but a handful cannot be upgraded from
NT 4.0 due to legacy applications. These are internal-use servers
only. Has anyone attempted to create a quasi-safe environment for such
a situation? One approach might be to isolate them behind an
additional internal firewall and allow only the very few
ports/protocols in use by those servers. Any thoughts? Seen any
articles? I've searched but haven't turned up anything.

Thanks.

Calvin

Nov 21, 2005, 6:11:53 PM11/21/05
rho...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Any recommendations for securing NT going forward?

Hi,

make sure the machines are fully patched to the latest hotfixes supplied - see
http://nt4ref.zcm.com.au/patch.htm for a complete rundown on this.

Please note that there is an 'unresolved' security flaw (I suspect deliberately
by design on the part of Microsoft) relating to RPC end point mapping. See
Microsoft knowledgebase article 331953 - "MS03-010: Flaw in RPC Endpoint Mapper
Could Allow Denial of Service Attacks" for methods to secure NT4 against this
exploit.

Sensible firewalling and continuing vigilance to protect yourself against
viruses and other malware is all that should be necessary.

Calvin.