NT4Ref Update (2nd ATTEMPT)

Calvin

Jan 3, 2009, 10:44:40 PM1/3/09
Hi all (well those interested in things NT4 anyway),

I've just completed a major update of the NT4 Reference site at:

http://nt4ref.zcm.com.au

The main changes are the addition of a couple more 'known bugs and
limitations' and the addition of approximately 200 'recently found'
knowledgebase articles.

I think I am starting to "scrape the bottom of the barrel" as far as
'new' content is concerned.

I would be interested in comments or suggestions on any articles I have
'missed' or any items that you think should be added to the 'known bugs
and limitations' page.

All the best,

Calvin.

Steven Saunderson

Jan 9, 2009, 2:47:18 AM1/9/09
On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 13:44:40 +1000, Calvin <nos...@spamcop.net> wrote:

> I've just completed a major update of the NT4 Reference site at:
>
> http://nt4ref.zcm.com.au

Hi Calvin,

A great site and I'm eternally grateful for the USB info.

Is there any mention of the SysInternals FAT32 driver ? This has been
great for me but I didn't see it mentioned. If I remember correctly
only the read-only version was free originally but I think the
read/write version was free for a while before they dropped it.
--
Steven

Calvin

Jan 10, 2009, 9:33:30 PM1/10/09
Steven Saunderson wrote:
> A great site and I'm eternally grateful for the USB info.

Thanks, glad it is proving to be useful :-)

> Is there any mention of the SysInternals FAT32 driver ? This has been
> great for me but I didn't see it mentioned. If I remember correctly
> only the read-only version was free originally but I think the
> read/write version was free for a while before they dropped it.

Not directly. I do make mention of using a FAT32 file system driver on
the USB page - but it doesn't really get an 'air-play' anywhere else.
I'm fairly certain I have copies of both versions R/O and R/W squirreled
away here somewhere, but not sure where atm.

I'm not a big fan of the FAT32 file system anyway. My opinion of FAT32
is that they basically took FAT16 (along with it's inherent weaknesses
and problems), made it bigger and amplified the problems - I usually
tell people to avoid this file system like the plague !

Calvin.

Happy

Feb 5, 2009, 10:17:01 PM2/5/09

Thanks Calvin for having such a great page with Windows NT 4.0 resources.
One thing that I am looking for, is any "new" Internet Browser for Windows
NT 4.0.. you would think that Firefox would at least work on NT 4.0.

If You know of any, please let me know.

Thank You.

Calvin

Feb 6, 2009, 12:06:11 AM2/6/09
Hi Happy,

Happy wrote:
> Thanks Calvin for having such a great page with Windows NT 4.0 resources.

Thanks - Glad to see my work is actually useful to somebody :-)

> One thing that I am looking for, is any "new" Internet Browser for Windows
> NT 4.0.. you would think that Firefox would at least work on NT 4.0.
>
> If You know of any, please let me know.

This IS becoming a bit of a problem. Both the Firefox and SeaMonkey
projects have announced that they are discontinuing support for all
Windows OSes < Win2k soon. Firefox I gather is already at that point,
with the 'current' Firefox V2.0.x release being the LAST :-( The
Firefox 2.0.x family DO work OK on NT4. (or perhaps they DID last time I
checked !)

I use SeaMonkey here. V1.1.14 (current as of this moment) works fine on
NT4 - but again when SeaMonkey V2.x reaches the 'stable' milestone,
support for the SeaMonkey 1.x family shall end. The SeaMonkey 2.x family
WILL NOT work on NT4 :-(

I suspect we may see a couple more SeaMonkey 1.1.x releases, as it
appears SeaMonkey 2.x family is still in 'Alpha' testing and it's
release date has slipped several times.

The other problem I see looming up is the increasing use of Flash on
web-sites and the IDIOTIC people writing the sites that set an arbitrary
'needs Flash V9 or above' tag on the site, when in fact they use NO
Flash V9 specific content and the exclusion of earlier Flash plug-ins
(V8 is the last available for NT4) is TOTALLY spurious !

If anyone knows of a way around this TOTALLY ANNOYING situation - let us
all in on the secret !

All the best,

Calvin.

John John (MVP)

Feb 6, 2009, 8:44:45 AM2/6/09
Calvin wrote:

> This IS becoming a bit of a problem. Both the Firefox and SeaMonkey
> projects have announced that they are discontinuing support for all
> Windows OSes

Where did you get this information? In the browser world this would be
news of "monumental" proportions, it would be reported all over the
internet and all over these Microsoft newsgroups! I have not heard of
Firefox making any announcements saying that it would discontinue it's
browser for *all* Microsoft operating systems, what would it become? A
browser for Mac and Linux only? Or are they simply giving up and
killing the whole project altogether?

John

John John (MVP)

Feb 6, 2009, 9:03:49 AM2/6/09
Calvin wrote:

> The other problem I see looming up is the increasing use of Flash on
> web-sites and the IDIOTIC people writing the sites that set an arbitrary
> 'needs Flash V9 or above' tag on the site, when in fact they use NO
> Flash V9 specific content and the exclusion of earlier Flash plug-ins
> (V8 is the last available for NT4) is TOTALLY spurious !

I can't agree with you more! As far as I am concerned I think that
Flash is the bane of the internet! People on slow connections are
plagued with stupid Flash movies clogging up their connections. By
itself I think that Flash has been one of the major contributors to the
clogs and problem of excessive internet bandwidth usage. Thanks to
useless contents in these Flash movies people with slow connections can
barely surf the net and those with fast connections are being
increasingly charged more for bandwidth usage, they are being throttled
or they are being hit with download thresholds that severely affects the
legitimate use of their high speed connections.

John

Calvin

Feb 9, 2009, 1:17:15 AM2/9/09

I ACTUALLY said:

"for all Windows OSes < Win2k"

ie: Windows 95/98/ME/NT4

Windows 2000 and above will still be supported !

This has come about because the new Gecko Runtime Engine used in Firefox
3+ and SeaMonkey 2+

Hope that clears that up :-)

Calvin.

John John (MVP)

Feb 9, 2009, 10:39:14 AM2/9/09

I see, I hadn't clued in on the "<" text messaging lingo...

What you say makes a bit more sense. I gave Firefox 3 a run on my XP
box this weekend and my official report is that it sucks and blows at
the same time! What a piece of crap! Time to find another browser.

John