howdie , oh , um , Windows NT SP6a

Umwhat

Jun 27, 2005, 9:34:05 AM6/27/05
When I update Windows NT4.0 with the SP6a Update should I install the 40
bit or the 128 bit encryption files , because I will have nothing else but a
clean install .
...so 128 bit encryption is better ?

and thankyou for your very valuable time . It's just great to find out
people are devoting excellence to help ......people like me , thankyou .
--
signature

Jetro

Jun 27, 2005, 3:59:02 PM6/27/05
SP6 FAQ: http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/support/faqs/sp6faq.asp#16

Because at the time of release United States restricted the export of strong
encryption software, SP6a was made available in a Standard Encryption
(56-bit) version for international languages and a English High Encryption
(128-bit) version for North America. The US lifted their export controls on
January 2000, and the English High Encryption (128-bit) version is now
available for download and installation worldwide.

Previous versions of Windows NT Service Packs used 40-bit Standard
Encryption. 56-bit encryption is more secure than 40-bit encryption, but not
subject to as many export restrictions as 128-bit.

SP6a is designed to upgrade systems currently using 40-bit encryption to
56-bit. SP6a can also upgrade Standard Encryption to High Encryption.
However, SP6a setup cannot downgrade High Encryption to Standard Encryption.
It's recommended that you not install High Encryption on a system that may
need to be exported.

If you are unsure which encryption level of Windows NT was originally
installed on a server, you can check by right clicking on Schannel.dll in
System32 and checking the file description.

To check encryption level:
Click Start, point to Programs, and then click Windows NT Explorer.
Click the Winnt folder and then click the System 32 folder.
Right click on Schannel.dll, click Properties, click version tab and then
view description.

If the description indicates "Export version", you have a 40-bit system. If
it indicates "U.S. domestic version," you have a 128-bit system.

Dave Patrick

Apr 8, 2009, 11:35:49 PM4/8/09
http://download.cnet.com/Microsoft-Windows-NT-4-0-Service-Pack-6a-Intel-x86-with-High-Encryption/3000-2098_4-10033928.html

--

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Peter" <Pe...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Sorry i am referring to Service pack 6a for windows NT server 4.0
>
> Thanks again for any help getting the file downloaded
>
> "Peter" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does anyone know were i can obtain the lastest SP6a for windows NT 4.0
>> Micorsoft web site doesn't seem to have it at the following link. I just
>> keep
>> getting web site not found
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e396d059-e402-46ef-b095-a74399e25737&DisplayLang=en
>>
>> If anyone would like to up load the file: Sp6i386.exe to my ftp site that
>> would be great

Peter

Apr 10, 2009, 9:08:07 AM4/10/09
Hi And thanks for the inofrmation. However it seems that i have a SP
presently installed (not sure what release i have installed) which doesn't
allow me upgrade the to SP6. The error i'm getting is as follows: "Setup
has detected that the version presntly installed is lower than 'is lower than
what is necessary etc" I'm sure what version i;m running, what happened is
that i had a server crash and i reinstalled form the original Setup disk,
what ever Sp version at the time was installed. Do i have to install version
2,3,4,5,6 etc in order. What are my options. The problem i'm having is the
the network card requires at least service pack 5

Dave Patrick

Apr 10, 2009, 11:17:27 PM4/10/09
Service packs are cumulative so there's no need to install them all.
Start|Run|winver to see what you have. Please post the error verbatim.

--

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Calvin

Apr 16, 2009, 8:35:54 PM4/16/09
Hi Peter,

SP1 came "preinstalled" on MOST NT4 install CDs.

There is NO NEED TO RE-INSTALL all the Service Packs - They are
cumulative, you only need to install SP6a - everything that was in
previous packs is included in SP6a - hence why each SP got bigger and
bigger and...

You also have a heap of Post SP6a patches to apply - see:

http://nt4ref.zcm.com.au/patch.htm

for a full description.

hope this helps,

Calvin.

Dave Patrick

Apr 16, 2009, 10:39:39 PM4/16/09
Yes, post the errors you receive verbatim. Service packs are cumulative so

"Peter" wrote:
> It seems that i only have SP1 on the server, it was installed when i
> reinstalled the server. So i'm not sure if i need to install them in
> sequence, i i can't install SP5.
>
> Any suggestions o how to proceed
>
> Thanks
>
> Peter

Peter

Apr 16, 2009, 11:50:01 PM4/16/09
This is the page i go to, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/152734
From here there is a link
Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 6a
Service Pack 6a (SP6a) is the latest service pack for Windows NT 4.0. To
download this service pack, click the link below:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e396d059-e402-46ef-b095-a74399e25737&DisplayLang=en

When i go there this is the message i get.
We are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found.
See below for search results close to your request, or try a new search.

And this is the link on this page.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e396d059-e402-46ef-b095-a74399e25737&DisplayLang=en

If you can figure it out great, but i cannot understand why i do not have
access to this page.

Peter

Apr 16, 2009, 11:44:01 PM4/16/09
I cannot believe that SP6a is only 331K in size then, because that is the
only file i can find relating to SP6a Q246009i.exe I extract this file, put
it ona CD, try to install the files onto the server, if you have read my
previous emails you know the error i'm getting.

thanks

"Peter" wrote:

> Hi Calvin,
>
> Well that is some good news. i guess i'm not really installing SP6 then as i
> keep getting this error. Do you know were i can get SP for windows NT server
> 4.0. because i can't find it on microsoft web site. I tried to go to the
> download page and i keep getting "page not found"
> Also the file i have is only about a couple meg in size. I can't believe
> that it is this difficult to resolve this issue. I'm glad i'm a Cisco
> engineer and not MS tech.
>
> All i'm trying to do is find and download SP6, does anyone out there MS land
> know where i can find this SP and that i can download it.
>
> Thanks for your help.

Dave Patrick

Apr 17, 2009, 5:23:08 AM4/17/09

Calvin

Apr 17, 2009, 6:25:04 AM4/17/09
Peter wrote:
> This is the page i go to, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/152734
> From here there is a link
> Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 6a
> Service Pack 6a (SP6a) is the latest service pack for Windows NT 4.0. To
> download this service pack, click the link below:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e396d059-e402-46ef-b095-a74399e25737&DisplayLang=en
>
> When i go there this is the message i get.
> We are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found.
> See below for search results close to your request, or try a new search.
>
> And this is the link on this page.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e396d059-e402-46ef-b095-a74399e25737&DisplayLang=en
>
> If you can figure it out great, but i cannot understand why i do not have
> access to this page.

Hi,

Basically i can answer this question - Microsoft have removed most
references to NT4 from their website - they are trying DESPERATELY to
kill it off :-(

Try the link on this page:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=246009

I presume you are installing to Intel based hardware - in which case you
will need the "x86" link NOT the "Alpha" one !

As Dave Patrick has already replied to you, SP6a is also mirrored by
numerous sites, including download.com - which was the link he posted.

I haven't looked recently, but last time I was there the Microsoft FTP
servers still had all the NT4 content 9including the Service Packs and
hotfixes) in place.

Calvin.

Dave Patrick

Apr 17, 2009, 10:35:54 PM4/17/09
Calvin, That's where I went first and they're no longer there.

--

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Calvin

Apr 18, 2009, 10:04:26 PM4/18/09
Hi Dave,

Dave Patrick wrote:
> Calvin, That's where I went first and they're no longer there.

Hmm,

I tired on Friday (the link on the knowledgebase article for x86 SP6a)
and it offered a download to me - I didn't actually download it. Data
here in Aus is metered and I wasn't going to waste 30MB to prove the
file was valid - so from what you are saying I gather the link on the
page no longer provides the SP6a file ?

Definitely time that ALL NT4 users made SURE they have copies of
everything they may want/need in the future - availability on the web
seems to be drying up :-(

Calvin.

Dave Patrick

Apr 18, 2009, 11:06:56 PM4/18/09
Did you mean
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/winnt/winnt-public/fixes/usa/nt40/ussp6a/Symbols/sp6symi.exe

I believe that's only debug symbols download.

--

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Calvin" wrote
> Hi Dave,

Calvin

Apr 19, 2009, 2:53:23 AM4/19/09
Hi Dave,

No, The link I tried was the download SP6a x86 link on the relevant
knowledgebase page on the Microsoft web site:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=246009

I hadn't actually tried the Microsoft FTP server - although from what
you are saying, that source is also drying up fast :-(

EVERYBODY: GRAB ALL THE SUPPORT FILES YOU NEED FOR NT4 _NOW_ !!!
I suspect they may completely disappear soon !

Calvin.

Dave Patrick

Apr 19, 2009, 10:50:29 AM4/19/09

That one is nothing more than the SP6 to SP6A hotfix patch. (330K)

--

"Calvin" wrote:
> Hi Dave,

Calvin

Apr 20, 2009, 3:15:21 AM4/20/09
Dave Patrick wrote:

> That one is nothing more than the SP6 to SP6A hotfix patch. (330K)

Ah Ok - that clears that up !

As I said - NT4 support files are becoming scarce :-(

Calvin.