DNS suffix is making DNS lookup problems

1 view

Stefan4321

Jun 19, 2009, 9:26:01 PM6/19/09
Hello,

When router here does it’s DHCP conversation with the ISP and the local
computer, the ipconfig in the local computer picks up two entries:

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : sonic.net
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : sonic.net

From reading, these entries are supposed to apply to unqualified names, but
Windows DNS is applying them to all DNS lookups and triggering extra DNS
lookups on bogus addresses. These extra lookups are making problems for
applications. Can they be turned off?

There is a registry setting:

HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\DNSClient\AppendToMultiLabelName
Type = DWORD = 0

This is supposed to turn off the “DNS Suffix Search List.” Is there a better
way?

However, I have not been able to find a way to turn off the extra lookups
from the “Connection-specific DNS suffix.” How does one turn off the extra
“Connection-specific DNS suffix” DNS requests?

System here is Win XP Pro SP3

Thanks

Dave Patrick

Jun 19, 2009, 10:35:48 PM6/19/09
Probably the wrong group really, and these NT groups see almost no traffic.
If you administer the DNS servers then I'd ask here.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.server.dns&cat=en_US_9c8c55b9-6c82-4984-9900-7c49bc3442ff&lang=en&cr=US

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.server.networking&cat=en_US_98878752-d3c2-4150-b16d-86a73bc8f802&lang=en&cr=US

--

Regards,