Event Viewer Problem due to Registry Problem

1 view

Irwin Greenwald

Oct 9, 2009, 4:28:00 PM10/9/09
I inadvertently clobbered an unknown registry entry and there were no
backups available prior to that event. The problem:

Events are being recorded but not displayed in Event Viewer until the
computer is restarted. Does anyone know what Registry entry (or
entries) control this and what values it should have?

Irwin

Dave Patrick

Oct 10, 2009, 6:25:46 AM10/10/09
What operating system?

--

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Irwin Greenwald

Oct 10, 2009, 8:26:49 PM10/10/09
Windows XP SP3

On 10/10/2009 3:25 AM, Dave Patrick wrote:
> What operating system?

Dave Patrick

Oct 11, 2009, 11:02:23 AM10/11/09
Which event log key is damaged?

--

"Irwin Greenwald" wrote:
> Windows XP SP3

Irwin Greenwald

Oct 11, 2009, 4:11:48 PM10/11/09
I'm not sure I understand your question, but...
The Application and System logs do not display until the computer is
restarted. The Security log appears to be OK.

Dave Patrick

Oct 11, 2009, 5:32:17 PM10/11/09
What does this mean, it works for a while and quits? How did you determine
the registry was damaged?

--

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Irwin Greenwald

Oct 11, 2009, 6:47:43 PM10/11/09
I am not using PRO if that is important.

On 10/11/2009 3:06 PM, Dave Patrick wrote:
> I just created a Windows XP Pro SP3 vm image and exported the entire key
> HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog

Irwin Greenwald

Oct 11, 2009, 6:46:39 PM10/11/09
(1) I open the event logs and clear them. The Security logs display new
entries continuously.
(2) I Start a few programs. The Application and System logs display
nothing.
(3) I shut down the machine with "Restart"
(4) I open the event logs. The Application and System logs display all
kinds of entries from the previous session. As I go about opening and
working on different tasks nothing is added to the Application and
System log displays.

Irwin Greenwald

Oct 11, 2009, 6:49:59 PM10/11/09
I know the registry was damaged because I damaged it! I didn't have
sense enough to record the strange thing I saw.

Dave Patrick

Oct 11, 2009, 7:46:33 PM10/11/09
Here is probably your safest bet.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

If your installation media does not contain SP3 then you'll need to create
an integrated install point to which you can run the repair from. The
article describes SP2 but follow the same steps for SP3

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/900871

--

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Irwin Greenwald

Oct 12, 2009, 12:43:51 AM10/12/09
Looks a bit scary, but I'll check it further. Thanks for your help.

Dave Patrick

Oct 12, 2009, 10:03:40 AM10/12/09
You're welcome.