Default Users Hive question

ToddAndMargo

Mar 29, 2010, 5:57:16 PM3/29/10
Hi All,

I am trying to edit the "Default User's" hive.

In Windows Server 2008, I have noticed that in both regedit
and Windows Explorer (not IE), I am not allowed into the
"C:\Users\Default User" directory. And, I noticed that
the directory had a link arrow on it. Properties did not
tell where the link pointer either.

But I did notice a "C:\Users\Default" directory and I was able
to edit its NtUser.dat. Did I edit the correct hive?

Many thanks,
-T

Dave Patrick

Mar 29, 2010, 6:13:58 PM3/29/10
Here you go

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/959753

--

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

ToddAndMargo

Mar 29, 2010, 7:31:06 PM3/29/10
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am trying to edit the "Default User's" hive.
>>
>> In Windows Server 2008, I have noticed that in both regedit
>> and Windows Explorer (not IE), I am not allowed into the
>> "C:\Users\Default User" directory. And, I noticed that
>> the directory had a link arrow on it. Properties did not
>> tell where the link pointer either.
>>
>> But I did notice a "C:\Users\Default" directory and I was able
>> to edit its NtUser.dat. Did I edit the correct hive?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T

> Here you go
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/959753
>
> Dave

From Dave's link:
The default local user profile files are located
in the following folders.

Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, and Windows
Server 2008 R2

Drive_Letter:\Users\Default

Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, U.S. English
editions

Drive_Letter:\Documents and Settings\Default User

So I got the right one. Thank you Dave!

-T

Dave Patrick

Mar 29, 2010, 7:39:15 PM3/29/10