Read registry from a recovered crashed disk

John Svendsen

Feb 22, 2009, 9:23:04 AM2/22/09
Hi All:

A while ago my WinXP system disk [D] crashed (corrupt MFT). I was able to
install WinXP onto another disk [G] and I used GetDataBack for NTFS to
recover the disk.

However, I need to read some SW configurations in the old reg on disk [D].
I've seached the Internet, and info about using ReEdit to open the registry
on [D] did not work for me.

Is there any way/program to scan disk [D] and read/recover its registry info
so that I can read/browse it, I do not want to load/import anything from the
old registry, all I need is to look at certain configurations.

Thanks for the kind help and attention.

Rgds, JS

Dave Patrick

Feb 22, 2009, 10:15:42 AM2/22/09
If the hives are corrupt to the point you can not load the hive then there's
nothing you can do. Have you also looked at the restore point hives in the
system volume directory?

--

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

John Svendsen

Feb 22, 2009, 10:21:16 AM2/22/09
Hi Dave:

Thanks for your reply.

I know next to nil about registries, could you please point me toward how do
I go about looking for nad reading respotre point hives?

Sorry for my ignorance :)

Again, thanks a million

JS

"Dave Patrick" <DSPa...@nospam.gmail.com> wrote in message

Dave Patrick

Feb 22, 2009, 10:32:15 AM2/22/09
Look for them in;

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{someSID}\RPxxx\snapshot

Software configurations should be in _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE

Probably in the higher number RPxxx directories.

John Svendsen

Feb 22, 2009, 11:38:38 AM2/22/09
Thanks Dave

Great, found them!
But a quick search in Goggle mostly showed ways to recover (copy them over
to existing registry) or use a Unix/Linus boot disks to deal with them
What's the best (i.e., safest way to read them)
Again thanks for helping, I feel stupid asking so many step-by-step
questions...

Rgds, JS

"Dave Patrick" <DSPa...@nospam.gmail.com> wrote in message

Dave Patrick

Feb 22, 2009, 12:01:58 PM2/22/09
Run regedit, then from the Local Machine Hive, choose File|Load Hive. Then
navigate to the location of the hive you want to edit/read. Give it some
tempname (doesn't matter what). Then when your done, move the cursor back to
tempname, then File|Unload Hive, File|Exit