Can I make an installer believe it runs on 16bit Win?

Karl-Stephan Werkmeister

Nov 23, 2012, 5:44:28 PM11/23/12
Hi all,

I'm running WinXP (32bit) SP3 and want to install an old application
from CD. The given system requirements are Win 3.1x, Win 95 and Win NT4
and I ran it myself on each of this OS. (Both versions are included on
the same CD and are installed by the same installer.)
Also I could start the installed 16bit version from NT4.

Unfortunately, the installer installs automaticly the 32bit version on
my WinXP and this one does *not* run anymore for me (GPF on appplication
start).

Now I want give the 16bit version a try. But how can I make the
installer believe it ran from within a 16bit-version of Windows?
I'd rather avoid reinstalling Win 3.1 on another (real or virtual) machine?