Closing open files before backup

Chad

Jan 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/7/00
Is it possible to automatically close all open files residing on a server
before backing up that server? If so, how?

Thanks,
Chad

Robert Moir

Jan 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/7/00

Chad <trem...@anvi.com> wrote in message

> Is it possible to automatically close all open files residing on a server
> before backing up that server? If so, how?

Some files don't NEED to be backed up. You have no need to backup your
pagefile, and I haven't seen anyone yet who has convinced me they need
online backups of DHCP databases, Antivirus scanner data files, etc.

It's not possible to close ALL open files as some are held open by the O/S
or services running on the server that keep a file open - for example,
pervasive SQL appears to keep half the files in the world locked open - but
if you just mean user's data files, the best thing to do is to stop them
logging in during the time your backup would be running. Also, some backup
solutions have options to allow you to backup generic "open files" or that
integrate with specific backoffice tools such as SQL server or Exchange if
these files are the ones you want to back up.

Of course, if you don't wish to do this, you can try scheduling an AT job to
stop the related services for something before your backup and start them
again after a suitable length of time. It depends exactly WHAT open files
you are worried about, and how much of a disruption to your service you or
your users are willing to endure. Obviously to close a file, no one can be
working on it, and thats a big thing to do if it's the backend SQL database
that runs your world-wide 24x7 sales warehousing/order application system.

Robert Moir, Backoffice MVP
To search the MS Knowledge base use the link below:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/search/c.asp?PSL=1
My Homepage - http://www.bitey.force9.co.uk
** Please post all replies to the newsgroup **
** Emailed questions will not be answered **

Chad

Jan 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/7/00
I am referring to users' data files, however we cannot force users to stop
logging on, and sometimes the files not actually open, however the server
believes they are, and they do not get backed up. I am looking for an
automated program close all open data files before the backup starts.

Robert Moir <mara...@bitey.force9.co.uk> wrote in message

Mark-Allen Perry [MVP]

Jan 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/9/00
I think there are ways to *disconnect* users, which will close the file connects.  Try using User Manager to set their logon times to only during the day and force logoff.  this should do it.

--

Mark-Allen Perry

Microsoft Windows NT MVP

Microsoft Windows 2000 Beta Team

Beta ID: 160825

ALPHA Systems, Marly, Switzerland

Email: mark-...@com.mcnet.ch

Stuart Halliday

Jan 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/10/00
In article <urf0mHVW$GA....@cppssbbsa02.microsoft.com>, trem...@anvi.com
says...

> I am referring to users' data files, however we cannot force users to stop
> logging on, and sometimes the files not actually open, however the server
> believes they are, and they do not get backed up. I am looking for an
> automated program close all open data files before the backup starts.

One backup program ARCserve has a program addon which allows open files to
be backed up. It's not cheap though....

--
Stuart Halliday
Acorn Cybervillage

nancyinsea...@gmail.com

Aug 1, 2012, 8:54:35 AM8/1/12
to Chad
On Friday, January 7, 2000 1:30:00 PM UTC+5:30, Chad wrote:
> Is it possible to automatically close all open files residing on a server
> before backing up that server? If so, how?
>
> Thanks,
> Chad

Yes its freezes my computer screen and doesn't allow me to remove the detected viruses on my computer. I think its a fake antivirus program that use fake scanner to detect virus. We should remove AnVi Antivirus from the infected computer and protect it from further corruptions and data loss issues.

For more information how to get rid of this infection visit: http://www.adwareremovalprograms.net/completely-uninstall-the-fake-anvi-antivirus-program-from-the-infected-windows-pc