Extend a small WinNT4 Server partition

Paul

Jan 14, 2002, 8:46:38 PM1/14/02
I have a WinNT4 Server on a small partition (1GB) and the
data partition (3GB).

The amount of data is growing and there is a planning of
installing SQL. So my questions to you guy's and girl's
out there is this:
If I put in a 9 or 18 GB disk and mirror the old one, and
then turn off the 4GB disk and but another 9 or 18GB disk
in the mirror, can I extend the partitions without setting
the whole thing up again? This is maybe possible with some
third party tools like PartitionMagic or what?

Thanks for you time.

Rob Stow

Jan 15, 2002, 7:35:30 PM1/15/02
Depending on what version you have, you may be able to
extend the partition(s) with Partition Magic. However,
with each new version PM grows increasingly sophisticated
in its ability to detect that it is being used on a server
and will refuse to run. Server Magic is the more
expensive alternative for use on servers.

There are lots of ways to arrive at the result you want.
Among them are:
1.) Copy your partitions to a new drive with a tool
like Drive Image or Drive Copy that allows you to resize
the partitions while copying. After that remove the old
drive and set up your mirror.
2.) Essentially what you suggested: mirror old drive
to new, break mirror, then either
A.) Resize with PM or Server Magic, then set up new mirror.
B.) Set up new mirror, then Resize.

Your original drives should be a sufficient backup in case
things go wrong during the copy or resizing process, but do
defrag it thoroughly before beginning the copy.

Rob

--
"rob.stow" is my name, "sk.sympatico.ca" is my mail host.
Ask mommy for help if you can't figure it out from there.

jiongs...@gmail.com

Aug 7, 2012, 3:30:13 AM8/7/12

After being acquired by Symantec, Partition Magic was no longer updated. Thus it does not support the operating systems released later like Windows 7, Windows Home Server 2011 and SBS 2011. Apart from these operating systems, you may know that Partition Magic does not support Windows Server 2003 and Server 2008 as well.

Then, we are Aomei Technology and we possess Aomei Partition Assistant, not Partition Magic. You may find us on Partition-magic-windows7.org, who is one of our resellers. They use “partition magic for windows 7” only for search engine optimization. So, although you owned Partition Magic (S# PM801EI1-371501), we can not and we also have no right to upgrade it for you. As you know from the previous information, you still can not upgrade Partition Magic for Windows 7.

actually, you could choose some other partition magic alternatives; all of them could compatible with the latest Windows Operating systems. I find Partition Assistant I appreciate it, since it have along with me more than one years and the latest version is very fatastic. Here is a link maybe help:
http://www.extend-partition.com/free-partition-manager.html

aomeite...@gmail.com

Aug 7, 2012, 11:31:05 PM8/7/12
hello, you can extend the partition with server partition manager here's the site http://www.disk-partition.com/download-server.html without reseting, reinstalling apps, or losing data