Disk I/O Error

Leonard McKnight

Mar 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/31/99
I am running Windows NT 4.0 with server pack 3. Suddenly without warning, I
my system crashed. When I rebooted I receive the following error:

OS Loader V4.01
..Disk I/O error: Status 00001000
Windows NT could not start because the following file is missing or currupt:
<winnt root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

I attempted to replace the missing file using the original setup and repair
disk but when I re-boot I get the same error message as above.

Is there a way to replace missing files without having to run setup or the
repair disk?

Thank you
Leonard McKnight

Lynn/Ken

Mar 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/31/99
Usually when one sees this message the file is neither
missing nor corrupt. Often it means that the boot.ini file
is the corrupted one and is not pointing to the proper
partition to load NT. You should check this (from DOS if the
boot file is on a Fat partition, if the partition is ntfs
then you'll need to access it from either an alternate NT
installation or use the ntfsdos program from sysinternals).
If you have an NT boot disk, pop it in and you're off. If
not, after you get your system up again , make one as soon
as possible.

Ken
--
< ka...@ricochet.net >

Alexander I. Butenko

Mar 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/31/99
If you are using NTFS you can only connect your HDD to another PC, or to
boot form the floppy and use a program like NTFSDOS Read/Write available
from www.sysinternals.com

Leonard McKnight <lmck...@agora-inc.com> wrote in message