Where does Media Player get its track info?

FuryoftheStars

Jan 2, 2008, 2:16:00 AM1/2/08
Straight forward and easy question (I would hope): Where does Media Player
get all of its track info from and how does one go about submitting
corrections?

Red Cloud

Jan 2, 2008, 1:08:57 PM1/2/08
On Jan 1, 11:16 pm, FuryoftheStars

Who cares?

Dale

Jan 2, 2008, 3:44:20 PM1/2/08
At one point, Windows Media Player used an online CD database with data
provided by AMG. I understood they were changing that last year some time
but I do not specifically know if it happened.

In any case, there is very little documentation from Microsoft about the
database and the update process. I have heard it said that if 5 people
submit the exact same change, then it will be reflected in the database. I
wonder if spelling or punctuation counts.

To submit a change, use the Find Album Info wizard and edit the information
using that wizard. At the end you will get a thanks from Microsoft for
submitting your changes for all users - not that I have ever seen any such
changes applied for all users.

Hope this helps,

Dale

FuryoftheStars

Jan 3, 2008, 1:33:00 AM1/3/08
Thank you, Dale, that helps.

Kevin Flynn

Nov 26, 2011, 9:09:13 AM11/26/11
Okay so basically there was a lot left out there but Dale I am not saying anything negative here, your efforts are just and in no way am I discouraging people helping other people. I just felt the question wasn't completely answered.

In short, what Microsoft has done is completely copy iTunes and it's music store. If you put in a CD and play it through MP11, you will get the CD info! YAY... but why then when I go to copy that CD in nero or rip it with freerip do they BOTH "not contain any information" about my CD that MP11 just found?!?!?

Well it's because Microsoft has their own independent database for movies, games and music.

Go here to shop their "iTunes" store..
http://shopformusic.microsoft.com/buymusic/TopAlbums.aspx

Now if you want to see where they expose their database info... while the CD is playing in MP11, mouse over the upper right-most icon which looks like a left arrow over 4 boxes. ("Switch to Library")

This will take you to a window that practically violates copyright laws of how itunes is arranged. Now you will see your music CD and all of its contents.

Right click on your CD in the left-most pane and select either FIND or UPDATE CD info. I suggest FIND for now.
There you will see the sneaky elusive URL in the upper right of the newly popped up box.

fai.music.metaservices.microsoft.com

So the short answer is:
"They have their own DB now, it's located at fai.music.metaservices.microsoft.com"

I posted this because it was because of this half answer that I insisted on poking around MP11 and finding that in the first place. What started my search for the URL was that I was copying a disc in NERO8 and it found nothing, but I KNEW that was BS because I had JUST played it in MP11 with info there! What up with that?
So upon further digging, at first google made me think it was a network problem or that the URL Nero was using was outdated.. but Nay, it seems the CD is truly NOT available in the CDDB and FREEDB locations. It's too new.

But since Micro$oft $ells this CD, it's in THEIR "iTunes" store database....

Greed can sometimes benefit....

Now if either of you reply I can provide a method to export the CD info to freerip and then submit and subsequently be able to copy CDs without having to manually type out all the track info... : )

> On Wednesday, January 02, 2008 2:16 AM FuryoftheStar wrote:

> Straight forward and easy question (I would hope): Where does Media Player
> get all of its track info from and how does one go about submitting
> corrections?

>> On Wednesday, January 02, 2008 3:44 PM dale097 wrote:

>> At one point, Windows Media Player used an online CD database with data
>> provided by AMG. I understood they were changing that last year some time
>> but I do not specifically know if it happened.
>>
>> In any case, there is very little documentation from Microsoft about the
>> database and the update process. I have heard it said that if 5 people
>> submit the exact same change, then it will be reflected in the database. I
>> wonder if spelling or punctuation counts.
>>
>> To submit a change, use the Find Album Info wizard and edit the information
>> using that wizard. At the end you will get a thanks from Microsoft for
>> submitting your changes for all users - not that I have ever seen any such
>> changes applied for all users.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>>

>> Dale
>>

>> "FuryoftheStars" wrote:

>>> On Thursday, January 03, 2008 1:33 AM FuryoftheStar wrote:

>>> Thank you, Dale, that helps.

Kevin Flynn

Nov 26, 2011, 9:12:17 AM11/26/11
For some reason a portion of my text was deleted when I hit post... wtf?

I will try again...