iTunes sucks: You have to have an iPod for it to work

The Magnificent Bastard

May 23, 2004, 6:55:37 PM5/23/04
What kind of scam is Apple trying run? I signed up for an iTunes
account but it only works if you have an iPod MP3 player. Maybe it
works on a Power Book or something too.....I don't know for sure since I
don't have any Apple computers.

I try to download songs from iTunes onto my computer (running XP Pro)
and my PDA (Palm OS) and I get error messages that say I have the wrong
operating system.

So basically it seems like iTunes is worthless unless you have Apple
hardware. I called their 1-800 # and demanded my money back, they said
that they would have someone call me back tomorrow.

--
Magnificent Bastard Productions 2004 ©

http://www.magnificentbastardproductions.com

righter

May 23, 2004, 7:29:33 PM5/23/04

"The Magnificent Bastard" <magnif_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> What kind of scam is Apple trying run? I signed up for an iTunes
> account but it only works if you have an iPod MP3 player. Maybe it
> works on a Power Book or something too.....I don't know for sure since I
> don't have any Apple computers.
>
> I try to download songs from iTunes onto my computer (running XP Pro)
> and my PDA (Palm OS) and I get error messages that say I have the wrong
> operating system.
>
> So basically it seems like iTunes is worthless unless you have Apple
> hardware. I called their 1-800 # and demanded my money back, they said
> that they would have someone call me back tomorrow.

You'll let us know what happens tomorrow, right?

Doug Crooks

May 23, 2004, 7:35:57 PM5/23/04
A few thoughts:

1. iTunes is a free program. The songs cost money, but the program is free

2. Any song you download can be burned to a CD (or played on your
computer w/iTunes)

3. I thought it was pretty common knowledge that iTunes songs could
only be transferred to an iPod mp3 player. Apple's made no secrets that
their hardware only works with their machines: they've been doing that
since day 1, and nothing's changed over the years.

Sorry about your experience, but perhaps a buyer should read the
manual/user agreements before making a purchase/download...
--
doug

michael turner

May 23, 2004, 7:50:59 PM5/23/04
On Sun, 23 May 2004 17:55:37 -0500, The Magnificent Bastard wrote:

> What kind of scam is Apple trying run? I signed up for an iTunes
> account but it only works if you have an iPod MP3 player. Maybe it
> works on a Power Book or something too.....I don't know for sure since I
> don't have any Apple computers.

Seems to be working perfectly OK on NON-Apple hardware here.

iTunes also allows audio-CD burning.

> I try to download songs from iTunes onto my computer (running XP Pro)
> and my PDA (Palm OS) and I get error messages that say I have the wrong
> operating system.

Did you not RTFM before signing up ?

> So basically it seems like iTunes is worthless unless you have Apple
> hardware. I called their 1-800 # and demanded my money back, they said
> that they would have someone call me back tomorrow.

Perhaps I could make a similar complaint if signed up for Napster, and I
found that it did NOT support iPod. But that wouldn't happen because I'd
RTFM.

--
Michael Turner
Email (ROT13)

The Magnificent Bastard

May 23, 2004, 7:53:03 PM5/23/04
On Mon, 24 May 2004 00:50:59 +0100, in alt.tv.sopranos, michael turner
rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again. It does
this whenever it's told -

Joke's on you. Napster got shut down by the RIAA a *long* time ago.

Chris Lanier [MVP]

May 23, 2004, 8:03:00 PM5/23/04
Napster has been up and running with a paid service for a while, where have
you been? They are now owned by Roxio. - www.napster.com

--
Get Instant WMP Answers
http://tinyurl.com/35rfv

"The Magnificent Bastard" <magnif_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Chris Lanier [MVP]

May 23, 2004, 8:03:47 PM5/23/04
Looks like you got crazy with the newsgroups you sent this too.

iTunes doesn't "suck", it's just not for everyone.
(1) iTunes works just fine without an iPod
(2) It works on both PC and Mac. You can download and playback the songs
just fine and no iPod is required.

Palm's don't support DRM-enabled media, talk to Palm about that. IIRC Apple
just released an SDK for iTunes, opening it up a bit for other players and
platforms.

I'm not a big iTunes fan myself, it's RAM usage is a bit to high for me (30+
MB). My iPod is happy with Anapod.

--
Get Instant WMP Answers
http://tinyurl.com/35rfv

michael turner

May 23, 2004, 8:12:30 PM5/23/04
Xpost trimmed:

On Sun, 23 May 2004 18:53:03 -0500, The Magnificent Bastard wrote:

> On Mon, 24 May 2004 00:50:59 +0100, in alt.tv.sopranos, michael turner

>> Perhaps I could make a similar complaint if signed up for Napster, and I

>> found that it did NOT support iPod. But that wouldn't happen because I'd
>> RTFM.
>
> Joke's on you. Napster got shut down by the RIAA a *long* time ago.

So what's this then ?
http://www.napster.com/

It's a *Windows* hardware only thingy which uses the *proprietary*
WMA format, and goes by the name 'Napster'. This is what I was talking
about.

At least iTunes works on both Mac and Windows hardware.

Your turn....

jimt

May 23, 2004, 8:22:10 PM5/23/04

actually napster is back. as a pay for music service now.
jimt

michael turner

May 23, 2004, 8:24:33 PM5/23/04

BANG!!! <The Magnificent Bastard shoots itself in the foot.>

mslinda

May 23, 2004, 8:26:53 PM5/23/04

Napster reopened as a pay service last year.

Linda C.

mslinda

May 23, 2004, 8:30:20 PM5/23/04
Doug Crooks wrote:
> A few thoughts:
>
> 1. iTunes is a free program. The songs cost money, but the program is free
>
> 2. Any song you download can be burned to a CD (or played on your
> computer w/iTunes)
>
> 3. I thought it was pretty common knowledge that iTunes songs could
> only be transferred to an iPod mp3 player.

Not true. You can download them onto the computer and burn the songs
onto as many CDs as you want. You can then play the CDs anywhere.

Apple's made no secrets that
> their hardware only works with their machines: they've been doing that
> since day 1, and nothing's changed over the years.
>
> Sorry about your experience, but perhaps a buyer should read the
> manual/user agreements before making a purchase/download...
> --
> doug

Actually, Apple opened iTunes to Windows last year. You need the proper
software - MusicMatch, I believe. The Apple site gives you the software
requirements.

Linda C.

Gnarlodious

May 23, 2004, 8:30:34 PM5/23/04
This seems like the appropriate caveat:
>http://www.magnificentbastardproductions.com/pages/moron_posting.htm>

-- Gnarlie
http://www.Gnarlodious.com

Entity Doug Crooks spoke thus:

> Sorry about your experience, but perhaps a buyer should read the
> manual/user agreements before making a purchase/download...

The Magnificent Bastard

May 23, 2004, 8:35:37 PM5/23/04
On Mon, 24 May 2004 00:30:34 GMT, in alt.tv.sopranos, Gnarlodious rubs
the lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again. It does this
whenever it's told -

Yes, it certainly does.

> -- Gnarlie
> http://www.Gnarlodious.com
>

> Entity Doug Crooks spoke thus:
>
> > Sorry about your experience, but perhaps a buyer should read the
> > manual/user agreements before making a purchase/download...
>

> > The Magnificent Bastard wrote:
> >> What kind of scam is Apple trying run? I signed up for an iTunes
> >> account but it only works if you have an iPod MP3 player. Maybe it
> >> works on a Power Book or something too.....I don't know for sure since I
> >> don't have any Apple computers.
> >>
> >> I try to download songs from iTunes onto my computer (running XP Pro)
> >> and my PDA (Palm OS) and I get error messages that say I have the wrong
> >> operating system.
> >>
> >> So basically it seems like iTunes is worthless unless you have Apple
> >> hardware. I called their 1-800 # and demanded my money back, they said
> >> that they would have someone call me back tomorrow.

The Magnificent Bastard

May 23, 2004, 8:37:15 PM5/23/04
On Mon, 24 May 2004 00:22:10 GMT, in alt.tv.sopranos, jimt rubs the
lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again. It does this
whenever it's told -

> actually napster is back. as a pay for music service now.

No, I'm pretty sure that Chad kid stole the code for the Napster program
from his roommate and made it public and then he got arrested and went
to jail for violating copy rights.

> jimt
> >
> > Joke's on you. Napster got shut down by the RIAA a *long* time ago.

mslinda

May 23, 2004, 8:38:07 PM5/23/04
The Magnificent Bastard wrote:
> What kind of scam is Apple trying run? I signed up for an iTunes
> account but it only works if you have an iPod MP3 player. Maybe it
> works on a Power Book or something too.....I don't know for sure since I
> don't have any Apple computers.

It works on all Macs with OSX. You can also burn the tunes to disc and
play them on any computer with a CD player.

> I try to download songs from iTunes onto my computer (running XP Pro)
> and my PDA (Palm OS) and I get error messages that say I have the wrong
> operating system.

I don't think Apple has iTunes for Palm yet. I think you'd need special
software for that.

> So basically it seems like iTunes is worthless unless you have Apple
> hardware. I called their 1-800 # and demanded my money back, they said
> that they would have someone call me back tomorrow.

What kind of MP3 software are you using? Do you have MusicMatch? Are you
sure you downloaded the Windows version of the iTunes program? I've
found that if you don't have the proper system, iTunes won't let you use
the program to download. I've been using it very successfully since it
opened over a year ago. I have a Powerbook at home and a G4 at the office.

Linda C.

The Magnificent Bastard

May 23, 2004, 8:45:57 PM5/23/04
On Mon, 24 May 2004 00:38:07 GMT, in alt.tv.sopranos, mslinda rubs the
lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again. It does this
whenever it's told -

What do you use your Powerbook and your G4 for?

> Linda C.

Quiet Desperation

May 23, 2004, 8:50:43 PM5/23/04
In article <MPG.1b1af5e4b...@news.alt.net>, The Magnificent
Bastard <magnif_...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> What kind of scam is Apple trying run? I signed up for an iTunes
> account but it only works if you have an iPod MP3 player. Maybe it
> works on a Power Book or something too.....I don't know for sure since I
> don't have any Apple computers.

It's a great CD ripper, and it's good for playing MP3s on the computer.
The iTunes store is a relatively recent addition to the program. Before
that it was just sort of an MP3 manager/player.

Personally I'd like to see some simple editing tools added so I can
trim the occasional MP3 track of excess content.

William A. T. Clark

May 23, 2004, 9:20:17 PM5/23/04
In article <MPG.1b1af5e4b...@news.alt.net>,
The Magnificent Bastard <magnif_...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> What kind of scam is Apple trying run? I signed up for an iTunes
> account but it only works if you have an iPod MP3 player. Maybe it
> works on a Power Book or something too.....I don't know for sure since I
> don't have any Apple computers.
>
> I try to download songs from iTunes onto my computer (running XP Pro)
> and my PDA (Palm OS) and I get error messages that say I have the wrong
> operating system.
>
> So basically it seems like iTunes is worthless unless you have Apple
> hardware. I called their 1-800 # and demanded my money back, they said
> that they would have someone call me back tomorrow.

Excuse me? I think you are seriously retarded if you can't figure out
that iTunes is intended for Macs. Why would Apple write something for
Windoze machines that can only make their dross immeasurably better? You
should think yourself lucky that Apple even spoke to you on the phone,
you're that stupid.

Buy a Mac, sonny, and grow up.

William Clark

James L. Ryan

May 23, 2004, 9:31:45 PM5/23/04
On Sun, 23 May 2004 20:20:17 -0500, William A. T. Clark wrote
(in article
<clark.31-4EE9E8...@charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>):

> Excuse me? I think you are seriously retarded if you can't figure out that
> iTunes is intended for Macs. Why would Apple write something for Windoze
> machines that can only make their dross immeasurably better? You should
> think yourself lucky that Apple even spoke to you on the phone, you're that
> stupid.

Er, uh, excuse me, but iTunes is indeed available to run under Windows. I'll
refrain from any "stupid" comments.

-- James L. Ryan -- TaliesinSoft

Davoud

May 23, 2004, 9:59:03 PM5/23/04
TMB:
> ...So basically it seems like iTunes is worthless unless you have Apple
> hardware...

The solution to this is so obvious that I hesitate to write it: get
some Apple hardware. You'll be happier.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com

StrikitRich

May 23, 2004, 10:01:53 PM5/23/04
in article MPG.1b1af5e4b...@news.alt.net, The Magnificent Bastard
at magnif_...@hotmail.com wrote on 5/23/04 18:55:

> What kind of scam is Apple trying run? I signed up for an iTunes
> account but it only works if you have an iPod MP3 player. Maybe it
> works on a Power Book or something too.....I don't know for sure since I
> don't have any Apple computers.
>
> I try to download songs from iTunes onto my computer (running XP Pro)
> and my PDA (Palm OS) and I get error messages that say I have the wrong
> operating system.
>
> So basically it seems like iTunes is worthless unless you have Apple
> hardware. I called their 1-800 # and demanded my money back, they said
> that they would have someone call me back tomorrow.

And this has what to do with 'The Sopranos?'

mslinda

May 23, 2004, 10:03:32 PM5/23/04

PB for personal use, G4 to edit the magazine I work for. Mac is the
standard in magazine publishing.

Linda C.

Dave Hinz

May 23, 2004, 10:06:17 PM5/23/04
On Sun, 23 May 2004 17:55:37 -0500, The Magnificent Bastard <magnif_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> What kind of scam is Apple trying run? I signed up for an iTunes
> account but it only works if you have an iPod MP3 player. Maybe it
> works on a Power Book or something too.....I don't know for sure since I
> don't have any Apple computers.

Thank you for your apparent interest in the position of "Usenet newsgroup
troll". While your post is notable, we presently have no openings
for a troll at this time, the position being currently occupied.

Should an opening for Newsgroup Troll open up, we will revisit your
application and contact you if appropriate.

The Magnificent Bastard

May 23, 2004, 10:02:47 PM5/23/04
On Sun, 23 May 2004 21:20:17 -0400, in alt.tv.sopranos, William A. T.
Clark rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again. It
does this whenever it's told -

Ok. Thanks Jim.

The Magnificent Bastard

May 23, 2004, 10:05:17 PM5/23/04
On Mon, 24 May 2004 02:03:32 GMT, in alt.tv.sopranos, mslinda rubs the

What magazine do you work for?

Jim Mauro

May 23, 2004, 10:50:59 PM5/23/04

Indeed. One user that didn't read the fine print, and the
anti-Apple rants begin.

Such a rant list against M$ would be much longer, and much
more justified...

Improve the quality of your computing-life a thousandfold,
and make the move to Mac. It's miles above the crap that
Redmond has been slinging for so long.

Once you go Mac, you never go back!

:^)

/jim

The Magnificent Bastard

May 23, 2004, 11:06:37 PM5/23/04
On Mon, 24 May 2004 05:03:17 +0200, in alt.tv.sopranos, Harri Mellin
rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again. It does
this whenever it's told -

> In article <230520041822103344%NOM...@NOMAIL.MMM>,

> jimt <NOM...@NOMAIL.MMM> wrote:
>
> > actually napster is back. as a pay for music service now.
>

> with their own music format .nap that only works with their music
> software

Do you have to have a Napster operating system? Does it matter what
brand of computer you have? I have an eMachine.

Jimmy

May 23, 2004, 11:16:03 PM5/23/04
The Magnificent Bastard <magnif_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<MPG.1b1af5e4b...@news.alt.net>...

> What kind of scam is Apple trying run? I signed up for an iTunes
> account but it only works if you have an iPod MP3 player. Maybe it
> works on a Power Book or something too.....I don't know for sure since I
> don't have any Apple computers.
>
> I try to download songs from iTunes onto my computer (running XP Pro)
> and my PDA (Palm OS) and I get error messages that say I have the wrong
> operating system.
>
> So basically it seems like iTunes is worthless unless you have Apple
> hardware. I called their 1-800 # and demanded my money back, they said
> that they would have someone call me back tomorrow.

Songs right? Not itune itself..cause you have choice between AAC or
MP3 formats I think. Try using that feature (use mp3 format) , i
think it has it in 4.5.

---
member of http://www.mp3reports.com

Dwight Rapper

May 23, 2004, 11:15:14 PM5/23/04
The day Sun, 23 May 2004 17:55:37 -0500, The Magnificent Bastard

<magnif_...@hotmail.com> what is wrong and what is write:

>What kind of scam is Apple trying run? I signed up for an iTunes
>account but it only works if you have an iPod MP3 player. Maybe it
>works on a Power Book or something too.....I don't know for sure since I
>don't have any Apple computers.
>
>I try to download songs from iTunes onto my computer (running XP Pro)
>and my PDA (Palm OS) and I get error messages that say I have the wrong
>operating system.
>
>So basically it seems like iTunes is worthless unless you have Apple
>hardware. I called their 1-800 # and demanded my money back, they said
>that they would have someone call me back tomorrow.

Yeah, maybe you should have read the box first. I hate people that
just spend money on something they don't know about. Maybe if you did
a lil bit of research before hand I wouldn't have to read this
garbage.

--
http://geocities.com/d_white_rapper/rapping.html

Urra Dipschitt

May 24, 2004, 1:47:33 AM5/24/04
In article <BCD6CFD1.12F8C%strik...@nospam.com>,
StrikitRich <strik...@nospam.com> wrote:

> And this has what to do with 'The Sopranos?'

Nothing. Trolls do shit like that. Sorry.

Urra Dipschitt

May 24, 2004, 1:50:04 AM5/24/04
In article <MPG.1b1b30c66...@news.alt.net>,

The Magnificent Bastard <magnif_...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Do you have to have a Napster operating system?

You really are stupid, aren't you?

mslinda

May 24, 2004, 2:50:04 AM5/24/04
Harri Mellin wrote:
> In article <230520041822103344%NOM...@NOMAIL.MMM>,
> jimt <NOM...@NOMAIL.MMM> wrote:
>

>>actually napster is back. as a pay for music service now.
>

> with their own music format .nap that only works with their music
> software

Is the software free from the service?

Linda C.

mslinda

May 24, 2004, 3:06:52 AM5/24/04

You think I'm gonna tell the nutcases on Usenet where I work? I have
enough wackos calling me there already.

Linda C.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Tim Cutts

May 24, 2004, 10:01:36 AM5/24/04
In article <iom2b01492ebucebp...@4ax.com>,

Dwight Rapper <d_white...@yahoo.remove-this-to-email-me.com> wrote:
The day Sun, 23 May 2004 17:55:37 -0500, The Magnificent Bastard
>Yeah, maybe you should have read the box first. I hate people that
>just spend money on something they don't know about. Maybe if you did
>a lil bit of research before hand I wouldn't have to read this
>garbage.

His President doesn't think or do any research first, so why should he?
:-)

Tim

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Orac

May 24, 2004, 8:10:35 PM5/24/04
In article <MPG.1b1af5e4b...@news.alt.net>,

The Magnificent Bastard <magnif_...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> What kind of scam is Apple trying run? I signed up for an iTunes
> account but it only works if you have an iPod MP3 player. Maybe it
> works on a Power Book or something too.....I don't know for sure since I
> don't have any Apple computers.
>

> I try to download songs from iTunes onto my computer (running XP Pro)
> and my PDA (Palm OS) and I get error messages that say I have the wrong
> operating system.
>

> So basically it seems like iTunes is worthless unless you have Apple
> hardware. I called their 1-800 # and demanded my money back, they said
> that they would have someone call me back tomorrow.

Not even a particularly original or even amusing troll.

I give it 0.4/10 on the Troll-O-Meter.

|"If you cannot listen to the answers, why do you
| inconvenience me with questions?"

Major Issues

May 25, 2004, 6:43:04 PM5/25/04
LOL !

read this;
iTunes bad, WMA good.

They make several good points.

MI

On Sun, 23 May 2004 17:55:37 -0500, The Magnificent Bastard

John Noble

May 26, 2004, 1:25:43 AM5/26/04
The Magnificent Bastard <magnif_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<MPG.1b1b0fd43...@news.alt.net>...

[snippedy-snip]

> What do you use your Powerbook and your G4 for?

She uses it to correctly trim and compose newsgroup messages. Maybe
you should get one so the rest of us don't have to keep reading your
turgid crap.

By the way, this:

> On Mon, 24 May 2004 00:38:07 GMT, in alt.tv.sopranos, mslinda rubs the
> lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again. It does this
> whenever it's told -

is vaguely humorous the first time. Second time it just makes you
sound like a 13 year old who spends too much time typing "go north;
pick up golden box". (Before you point it out, I do realise this is a
quote from ... what, Silence of the Lambs? My point stands.)

(Ah, I'm at work and bored. Why not try to create mischief?)

j.

John Noble

May 26, 2004, 1:27:22 AM5/26/04
mslinda <msl...@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<40B15812...@earthlink.net>...

[sniiiiiiiip!]

> PB for personal use, G4 to edit the magazine I work for. Mac is the
> standard in magazine publishing.
>
> Linda C.

Oops. You let me down, Linda. Guess I shoulda read the whole thread first, huh?

Still bored. Then, it is only 4.3 seconds since I wrote the last post.

Time for a cigarette. I'm so glad I gave up giving up.

j.

Major Issues

May 26, 2004, 2:47:59 PM5/26/04
On Tue, 25 May 2004 22:43:04 GMT, Major Issues <Ma...@issues.com>
wrote:

>LOL !
>
>read this;
>iTunes bad, WMA good.
>http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,1526047,00.asp
>
>They make several good points.
>
>MI

Forgot to mention the follow-up article;
"If I buy songs with iTunes, I can only play them on an iPod. It's an
anti-competitive lock-in, the kind of thing Microsoft haters are so
quick to criticize Gates and his minions for. "

MI

Dave Hinz

May 26, 2004, 2:59:17 PM5/26/04
On Wed, 26 May 2004 18:47:59 GMT, Major Issues <Ma...@issues.com> wrote:

> Forgot to mention the follow-up article;
> "If I buy songs with iTunes, I can only play them on an iPod. It's an
> anti-competitive lock-in, the kind of thing Microsoft haters are so
> quick to criticize Gates and his minions for. "

Why are you unable to burn them to a CD like the rest of the world?
Why, also, are you posting this to several very non-on-topic
discussion groups?

Urra Dipschitt

May 26, 2004, 3:01:58 PM5/26/04
In article <2hk7o5F...@uni-berlin.de>,
Dave Hinz <DaveM...@duck-creek.net> wrote:

He's a troll moron? That'd be my guess. It's obvious he's illiterate and
quite stupid.

Message has been deleted

poldy

May 24, 2004, 1:13:24 AM5/24/04
In article <MPG.1b1b30c66...@news.alt.net>,

The Magnificent Bastard <magnif_...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Do you have to have a Napster operating system? Does it matter what
> brand of computer you have? I have an eMachine.

eMachine is a POS. Come on, you blow all your money on your threads?

prettyin...@gmail.com

Apr 28, 2013, 9:56:38 PM4/28/13
well this is cool
I got a
iTunes Card Code and it redeemed just fine! Check this site out
freeitunes♣
cc