Windows media encoder error

aliste...@gmail.com

Jan 31, 2008, 10:45:58 AM1/31/08
Hi there,

I am having an issue with Windows Media Encoder (Version 9.00.00.2980)
and Windows XP SP2.

I am using a Dazzle DVC170 capture device. When i try selecting the
video source device in WME and click 'apply' it gives me the following
error message.

The following error occurred while setting up the source 'Source 1'
There was no match for the specified key in the index. (0x80070491)

I have tried contacting the card manufacturer (Pinnacle) to see if
they can assist, however they have stated that they cannot give
support on Windows Media Encoder.

Can any body give me any suggestions?

Thanks
Alister

Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]

Jan 31, 2008, 1:55:25 PM1/31/08
OK well I don't specifically know about that device - First off - what
other applications have you been able to display content from the
Dazzle device in ?

Is it an MPEG2 video capture device ? It says " built-in hardware
MPEG-2 encoder" on the spec sheet on Amazon so I guess it is.

Any first step would be to ensure you've correctly and completely
installed the software provided with the device, especiallly any
device driver software.

On this page, there's an entry discussing this error :
http://forums.dvbowners.com/lofiversion/index.php/t2958.html

There they talk about graphedit which is a (DirectShow SDK) tool for
testing connections between hardware input, codecs and decoding or
rendering content. In your case I guess it means can't decode the
input because either the device, or the codec in use is not set up
correctly.

In the case of MPEG2 video, no codec is supplied to decode that on XP,
you'd have to putchase one (and without one, DVD video doesn't play in
media player). If you used DecCheck to find that out :

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=DE1491AC-0AB6-4990-943D-627E6ADE9FCB

Not all MPEG2 decoders are directshow compatible, and Pinnacle may
have *supplied one* but it's invalid for decoding in WME - it could be
marked somehow as playback only.

In theory if no decoder's present which WMP can use then the same
should affect WM Encoder too which uses Directshow to decode the
video.

So in that case, I'd try the 30 day trial of NVidias DVD decoder,
which is known-good as far as being able to use it under DirectShow
goes http://www.nvidia.com/object/dvd_decoder.html

If that doesn't help, I'm a bit short on other ideas since I've never
seen that error before.

HTH
Cheers - Neil

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 07:45:58 -0800 (PST), aliste...@gmail.com
wrote:

Digital Media MVP : 2004-2008
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/mvpfaqs

aliste...@gmail.com

Feb 1, 2008, 5:49:21 AM2/1/08
Neil,

Thanks for your quick reply. The device apparently supports MPEG1, 2
and 4 using its hardware encoder.

As far as i can tell everything is installed properly, as it seems to
work fine with its bundled software (Pinnacle Studio 10, Pinnacle
Instant DVD Recorder).

I tried the DECCheck utility and it mentioned various Pinnacle MPEG2
decoders, however none were MCE compatible. I tried the Nvidia MPEG2
decoder trial, and DECCheck did then show the Nvidia decoder as a
compatible decoder, but unfortunatley WME still gives the error.

Thanks very much for your advice, it's very much appreciated.

Alister

On Jan 31, 6:55 pm, "Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <n...@nospam.com>
wrote:

> OK well I don't specifically know about that device - First off - what
> other applications have you been able to display content from the
> Dazzle device in ?
>
> Is it an MPEG2 video capture device ? It says " built-in hardware
> MPEG-2 encoder" on the spec sheet on Amazon so I guess it is.
>
> Any first step would be to ensure you've correctly and completely
> installed the software provided with the device, especiallly any
> device driver software.
>
> On this page, there's an entry discussing this error :http://forums.dvbowners.com/lofiversion/index.php/t2958.html
>
> There they talk about graphedit which is a (DirectShow SDK) tool for
> testing connections between hardware input, codecs and decoding or
> rendering content. In your case I guess it means can't decode the
> input because either the device, or the codec in use is not set up
> correctly.
>
> In the case of MPEG2 video, no codec is supplied to decode that on XP,
> you'd have to putchase one (and without one, DVD video doesn't play in
> media player). If you used DecCheck to find that out :
>

> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=DE1491AC-0AB...

> Not all MPEG2 decoders are directshow compatible, and Pinnacle may
> have *supplied one* but it's invalid for decoding in WME - it could be
> marked somehow as playback only.
>
> In theory if no decoder's present which WMP can use then the same
> should affect WM Encoder too which uses Directshow to decode the
> video.
>
> So in that case, I'd try the 30 day trial of NVidias DVD decoder,
> which is known-good as far as being able to use it under DirectShow

> goeshttp://www.nvidia.com/object/dvd_decoder.html

> If that doesn't help, I'm a bit short on other ideas since I've never
> seen that error before.
>
> HTH
> Cheers - Neil
>

> On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 07:45:58 -0800 (PST), alister.br...@gmail.com

ramje...@gmail.com

May 9, 2013, 11:07:50 PM5/9/13
the following error occurred while setting up thw source ;source 1;