windows media encoder "could not detect" URL for internet connections

omitheaussie

Sep 6, 2013, 4:44:08 AM9/6/13
Hi, Here is a summary of the problem: I have a laptop connected to the internet
via a wireless on the Thomson TG782T. The laptop has WME running and is able to
generate a URL for Internet connections. On the router I have setup port
forwarding to a port number 5858 (random number I selected). This works great.
also have no-ip domain name and am able to connect to the WME stream generated
on this laptop from an external network.

I have a Desktop connected to the Thomson TG782T via a TP-LINK Powerwline
adapter. So there is a main adapter connected to the Thomson and there is a
child adapter near my desktop. I am able to connect to the internet with this
setup without any difficulty. But when I try to setup WME I get the "Could
not detect" message as shown here in the URL for Internet connection box.
I can ping the desktop from my laptop and I can ping the laptop from desktop. I
have run Winsock on the desktop. I have set a static IP on both the laptop and
desktop. There are no other devices on the network. Also, using PFPortChecker,
get "we were not able to ping your router" and "Your port is NOT
OPEN or not reachable!"

I tried doing this by disabling all anti virus and firewalls. Same issue. I
also
tried disconnecting the desktop from LAN and connecting it via an inbuilt
wireless router and it has the same issue. What can be the reason for this?
Regards Omkar

PS: This subject is discussed a lot in 2005-2006 in many forums but there is no
solution I could find