Playback offline!

Gerfried Ranner

Apr 26, 2001, 1:05:02 PM4/26/01
Dear NG!

I have encrypted a wma-file.
Anytime I try to playback the file a request is made to the drm server. Thus
is cannot play the file when I am offline.
Do you know which property I have to set do allow playing offline?

Thank you,
Gerfried Ranner

Sam

Apr 26, 2001, 4:06:36 PM4/26/01
Gerfried:

Have you got this set up to stream? Or are you actually downloading the file
and saving it to disk? If you're streaming the file, you will have to be
online each time you play it.

If you're having trouble forcing WM Player to downolad instead of stream,
try this:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q286/1/86.asp

Hope this helps,
Sam

"Gerfried Ranner" <ran...@gmx.net> wrote in message

Gerfried Ranner

Apr 27, 2001, 3:16:06 AM4/27/01
Hi Sam!

Well - I do not know wether I am streaming or not :o)
I encrypted the files and I downloaded/copied on of the
wma-Files to another computer in my network.
Whenever I start this music file - which is placed on
the local HDD - an online license requirement is done.

I will now check the link...

Thank you and all the very best,

Gerfried Ranner

"Sam" <glai...@mindspring.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Gerfried Ranner

Apr 27, 2001, 8:57:01 AM4/27/01
I have found the reason!
It's not a bug, it's a feature ,o) of the SDK-Samples.
If anyone has the same problem, please contact me.

Gerfried Ranner

"Gerfried Ranner" <ran...@gmx.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Ken Fagan

May 1, 2001, 4:22:16 PM5/1/01
Here is our big problem!

We have found the same feature in the SDK files but what we WANT to do is EXACTLY
what you describe as well as what is described below from the link:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/en/wm7/drm.asp#works

We want to DOWNLOAD (and not stream) the files to the end user WITH A license to
Play or Delete or Transfer to an SDMI Compliant Portable Device BUT NOT TO
TARNSFER TO A PEER PC...

We want to do all of this WITHOUT having to require the user to re-validate a
license with an online licensing server again!

It seems like you have figured it out!

Can you help???

##################################
The basic Windows Media Rights Manager process is as follows:

Packaging
Windows Media Rights Manager packages the media file. The packaged media file has
been encrypted and locked with a "key." This key is stored in an encrypted
license, which is distributed separately. Other information is added to the media
file, such as the URL where the license can be acquired. This protected media
file is saved in Windows Media Audio format (.wma extension) or Windows Media
Video format (.wmv extension).

Distribution
The protected file can be placed on a Web site for download, placed on a media
server for streaming, distributed on a CD, or e-mailed to consumers. Windows
Media Rights Manager permits consumers to send copy-protected media files to
their friends, as well.

Establishing a License Server
The content provider chooses a clearinghouse that stores the specific rights or
rules of the license and implements the Windows Media Rights Manager license
services. The role of the clearinghouse is to authenticate the consumer's request
for a license. Media files and licenses are distributed and stored separately,
making it easier to manage the entire system.
License Acquisition

To play a protected media file, the consumer must first acquire a license key to
unlock the file. The process of acquiring a license begins automatically when the
consumer attempts to acquire the protected content, acquires a pre-delivered
license, or plays the file for the first time. Windows Media Rights Manager
either sends the consumer to a registration page where information is requested
or payment is required, or "silently" retrieves a license from a clearinghouse.
Playing the Media File

To play the media file, the consumer needs a media player that supports Windows
Media Rights Manager. The consumer can then play the media file according to the
rules or rights that are included in the license. Licenses can have different
rights, such as start times and dates, duration, and counted operations. For
instance, default rights may allow the consumer to play the media file on a
specific computer and copy the file to a portable device. Licenses, however, are
not transferable. If a consumer sends a protected media file to a friend, this
friend must acquire her own license to play the media file. This PC-by-PC
licensing scheme ensures that the protected media file can only be played by the
computer that has been granted the license key for that file.

Gerfried Ranner

.