Partitions?

1 view

Michael Romes

Jun 20, 2010, 1:14:14 PM6/20/10
After a crash of Windows I suddenly had more hard disks displayed when I
got Windows ME to run again.

Two additional hard disks were there shown by Windows Explorer, both
only 8 MB and both "primary partitions" when I used FDISK to display the
partitions of my harddisks. Both of them were located on the 2nd and 3rd
harddisk (1: 160 GB with the C: drive and Windows ME as primary
partition and several other partitions , 2: 40 GB split into 3
partitions and 3: 80 GB split into 3 partitions)

Is it normal to have primary partitions for hard disks that contain no
operating system and are those normally just hidden by windows so that
the Windows crash just caused them to appear?

Or is that a more serious error?

Mart

Jun 25, 2010, 7:45:19 PM6/25/10
Comments/replies in-line :-

"Michael Romes" <netterN...@lycos.de> wrote in message

> After a crash of Windows I suddenly had more hard disks
> displayed when I got Windows ME to run again.

So you're saying Windows Explorer only (ever?) showed ONE single hard
drive - the C: drive? No D:, E:, F:, G:, etc., (plus a CD ROM)? Sounds
like only the C: (partition) was ever formatted.

> Two additional hard disks were there shown by Windows Explorer,

So now you can see C:, D: & E (assuming no CD ROM) in Windows Explorer)
which weren't there before?

> both only 8 MB and both "primary partitions" when I used FDISK to display
> the partitions of my harddisks.

Are you sure they were formatted - you won't see an unformatted disk (or
partition) in WinMe

> Both of them were located on the 2nd and 3rd harddisk
> (1: 160 GB with the C: drive and Windows ME as primary partition and
> several other partitions

> 2: 40 GB split into 3 partitions
> and 3: 80 GB split into 3 partitions)

Could you - or can you NOW - see ANY of the partitions of the second and
third harddrives in Windows Explorer?

You are implying that DOS (as you were using using FDISK) identified 7 +
"several other partitions" collectively, on the three harddrives.

Please clarify.

> Is it normal to have primary partitions for hard disks
> that contain no operating system

It's neither 'normal' nor 'abnormal, it's just a matter of choice when
FDISK-ing the drives.

> and are those normally just hidden by windows

Usually 'hidden' if not formatted (in DOS too, but not to FDISK) - or you
are using some 3rd party disk management software?

> so that the Windows crash just caused them to appear?
> Or is that a more serious error?

Why was the machine set-up this way in the first place? And why has it taken
the 'crash' for someone to recognise that there was a 'major issue'

I suspect that there is some history which you are not telling us about. -
Maybe just finger trouble?

Mart