System Backup Will Not work

DrB

Dec 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/1/00
Have restarted like it says, but everytime it says the same thing that it
can not do a backup and need to restart. Even deleted the _restore folder
and tried to copy this folder from another networked computer. No success.
Only way I can backup is to use ERU.exe from Win98. Do not know if this will
work to restore. Have not tried it yet.

This has been going on for several weeks. Any suggestions or do I need to
reload Win98me over the existing Win98me?

DrB

Mike M

Dec 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/1/00
What do you mean by System Backup? System Restore? If so this is not a
backup and has nothing to do with ERU. I assume you refer to System Restore
since you mention the _restore folder. Having deleted the _restore folder
from DOS you have without doubt broken System Restore and need to reset
System Restore if you wish to get this to work. Resetting System Restore
requires you to stop and restart.
To stop SR:
System Properties | Performance | File System | Troubleshooting - check
"Disable System Restore" and immediately reboot.
To restart SR:
System Properties | Performance | File System | Troubleshooting - uncheck
"Disable System Restore" and immediately reboot.
This should create a single automatic checkpoint
Set space allocated to SR:
System Properties | Performance | File System | Hard Disk - adjust the
slider "System Restore disk space use:" to your preference. This can be set
between 200MB minimum and either 400MB or 12% of the boot partition where
the partition exceeds 4GB.

May I also strongly recommend to you that you read the MS KB Q267951 -
"Description of the System Restore Utility in Windows Millennium Edition"
(http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q267/9/51.ASP) for a
description of System Restore and what it might do for you.
--
Mike Maltby
mi...@mcmaltby.fsnet.co.uk

"DrB" <drbu...@pacbell.net> wrote ...

DrB

Dec 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/6/00
Yes I am referring to backing up in System Restore. Only thinking about
resorting to ERU after exhausting efforts to get SR working.

Tried your method without success. SR keeps checking "disable SR" upon
restarting. Tried several times to uncheck it and restart but still
re-checks this box. Any other suggestions?

DrB

"Mike M" <No_Spam_Please@Corned_Beef.Com> wrote in message

Mike M

Dec 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/6/00
Do you have at least 200MB of free space on your boot partition? Have you
perhaps disabled Stagemgr in MSConfig | Startup?

One again ERU has nothing to do with System Restore but more to do with
registry backup. You should see that your registry is still being backed up
in ..\windows\sysbckup as in earlier OS.
--
Mike Maltby
mi...@mcmaltby.fsnet.co.uk

"DrB" <drbu...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

DrB

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
Have several GB free space. Stagemgr is enabled.

I realize that ERU has nothing to do with SR, but it was a method to back up
some important system files before win98me. But really would like to get SR
working. Any other suggestions?

DrB
"Mike M" <No_Spam_Please@Corned_Beef.Com> wrote in message

Mike M

Dec 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/8/00
So:
You have more than 200MB free space on your boot partition,
You have attempted to reset System Restore by disabling, immediately
rebooting, enabling and once again immediately rebooting (Note the IMMEDIATE
reboot seems to be essential).
You have not removed StateMgr from startup.

Very frustrating that you can't even get the checkbox for Disable SR to
remain unchecked. I'm sorry but I'm right out of ideas at the moment. I
know you earlier deleted the various _RESTORE folders from DOS but I assume
that these are now present? There should be a _RESTORE folder on each
partition containing a single file (srdiskid.dat) and that on the boot
partition should contain five sub folders and normally(?) a around 2MB of
files in the _RESTORE and ..\LOGS folders.

What happens if you attempt to open the SR GUI (rstrui.exe)? Does this open
or do you get script errors or possibly even just a white pane?

I'm sorry but I don't have anything more to suggest at the moment. I'll
sleep on it and try and see if I can come up with some more ideas.

Regards,
--
Mike Maltby
mi...@mcmaltby.fsnet.co.uk

"DrB" <drbu...@pacbell.net> wrote ...

DrB

Dec 11, 2000, 12:39:59 PM12/11/00
Do not have srdiskid.dat in the _RESTORE folder. I did try to copy my other
networked computer _RESTORE folder onto my drive which contained the
srdiskid.dat, but still SR refused to start showing the box containing the
message that I need to restart the computer to get SR working.

Checked again and statemgr is still checked in startup.

Anyone else have suggestions?

DrB
"Mike M" <No_Spam_Please@Corned_Beef.Com> wrote in message

DrB

Dec 11, 2000, 2:40:23 PM12/11/00
Finally got tired of this and reloaded win98me over itself in windows and
now SR works. Thanks for your efforts.

Mike M

Dec 14, 2000, 3:37:23 PM12/14/00
Glad to hear you are now back in business. Sorry not to have replied before
but didn't see your reply until I reset the NGs following the server
problems of earlier this week.
--
Mike Maltby
mi...@mcmaltby.fsnet.co.uk

"DrB" <drbu...@pacbell.net> wrote ...

yyyc...@gmail.com

Sep 24, 2013, 4:30:11 AM9/24/13

coincidently jump to this page, it really warm to remind to about my win98 days. How sweet those experience are. To give some litter gift for the later guys to solve these kind of problem, i leave a free backup software. i've been using this software for five years. it's perform excelent use at free.backup-utility.com