Connecting WinME and Vista

1 view

Sam

Jan 19, 2009, 4:22:16 PM1/19/09
I'm trying to connect my WinME computer with the Vista computer thru a wired
router. I can get access to the internet on both computers. But the WinME
and Vista don't see each other. I checked that the SSID and workgroup are
same on both computers. What else I can check?

Mike M

Jan 19, 2009, 6:24:17 PM1/19/09
Sam <S...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

By design Win Me cannot access files on a PC running Vista although PCs
running Win Me can "see" PCs running Vista.
--
Mike Maltby
mike....@gmail.com

Sam

Jan 21, 2009, 1:38:01 AM1/21/09

"Mike M" wrote:

> So WinME cannot access files in Vista, is it possible the Vista to access files in WinME? If yes, how?

N. Miller

Jan 21, 2009, 12:27:48 PM1/21/09
On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 22:38:01 -0800, Sam wrote:

> "Mike M" wrote:

>> Sam <S...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>>> I'm trying to connect my WinME computer with the Vista computer thru
>>> a wired router. I can get access to the internet on both computers.
>>> But the WinME and Vista don't see each other. I checked that the
>>> SSID and workgroup are same on both computers. What else I can check?

>> By design Win Me cannot access files on a PC running Vista although PCs
>> running Win Me can "see" PCs running Vista.

> So WinME cannot access files in Vista, is it possible the Vista to

> access files in WinME? If yes, how?

I have actually done so; before I upgraded from Windows Me to Windows XP
Home Edition. I don't let the Windows Vista computer find the network
automatically, but I can attach a shared folder using UNC, and copy files
from the source (Windows Me) to the destination (Windows Vista), and back,
from the Vista computer.

UNC looks thus:

\\ComputerName\ShareName

You would just use the "Map Network Drive" feature. Don't recall the menu
path in Windows Vista. But properly done the shared folder shows up in Vista
as a "Network Drive", with a letter (should start with "Z:" by default).

--
Norman
~Shine, bright morning light,

Sam

Jan 22, 2009, 2:23:01 PM1/22/09

Thank you. I can now access the files on WinME via the Vista by Map a
Network Drive. I'm so happy after struggling for more than 2 weeks to access
the files.
Thanks again