two problems - Word and photos

Alexander Baron

Dec 22, 2012, 1:23:23 PM12/22/12
I've just bought a new computer; it doesn't have WORD but I have that on my old machine. Is there anyway I can transfer this or do I have to re-order?

The other problem concerns a DOS program I use - does anyone remember DOS?

When I open Microsoft Photoeditor I get the message "No file format information can be found in the registry".

I want to use this program. Any ideas?

Thanks

98 Guy

Dec 22, 2012, 2:00:10 PM12/22/12
Alexander Baron wrote:

> I've just bought a new computer; it doesn't have WORD but I have
> that on my old machine. Is there anyway I can transfer this or do
> I have to re-order?

I'm curious as to why you posted your questions here to a Windows-ME
newsgroup.

Did your previous computer run Windows ME?

What version of Windows does the new computer run?

In any case, what you want to run is "wordpad". Try that.

> The other problem concerns a DOS program I use - does anyone
> remember DOS?

Yes.

Continue.

> When I open Microsoft Photoeditor I get the message "No file
> format information can be found in the registry".
>
> I want to use this program. Any ideas?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/260151

"No file format information can be found in the Registry" error message
when you start Photo Editor

Symptoms:

When you try to start Photo Editor, you receive the following error
message:

No file format information can be found in the Registry.

When you click OK, Photo Editor starts. However, if you try to open a
graphics file, such as a bitmap (.bmp) or a Windows Metafile (.wmf), you
receive the following error message

Photo Editor cannot find or open file name

where file name is the path and file name of the file that you are
trying to open.

CAUSE:

Photo Editor is trying to access registry keys that require permissions
that your account does not have. In this case, information needed to
build the Files of type list and to open graphics files is not
available.

The problem can occur on Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Workstation, Microsoft
Windows 2000 Professional, and Microsoft Windows XP.

WORKAROUND:

(...)

I'm not going to post the "workaround" solution here - it's somewhat
long.

I suggest you go to the above link and follow it there.

It would appear that your new computer is running windows XP.