Perhaps the article has expired!

webster72n

Mar 23, 2013, 9:49:14 PM3/23/13
Who or what is behind this rude action?
"Click here to remove all expired articles".

Harry

98 Guy

Mar 23, 2013, 11:25:33 PM3/23/13
webster72n wrote:

> Who or what is behind this rude action?
> "Click here to remove all expired articles".

AIOE archives usenet posts for only about 40 days (last time I checked,
which was over a year ago).

When you try to read an old post, your news reader will ask you if you
want to remove all expired posts from your cache.

If you want to read an old post, you'll have to connect to another
server, or see if you can find it on google's usenet search portal
(which is always finding new ways to break itself).

webster72n

Mar 24, 2013, 4:57:07 PM3/24/13
98 Guy wrote:
> webster72n wrote:
>
>> Who or what is behind this rude action?
>> "Click here to remove all expired articles".
>
> AIOE archives usenet posts for only about 40 days (last time I checked,
> which was over a year ago).

But why only apply it to this particular newsgroup?
I don't see the same thing happen to most other newsgroups in AIOE.

98 Guy

Mar 24, 2013, 7:05:08 PM3/24/13
webster72n wrote:

> >> Who or what is behind this rude action?
> >> "Click here to remove all expired articles".
> >
> > AIOE archives usenet posts for only about 40 days (last time I
> > checked, which was over a year ago).
>
> But why only apply it to this particular newsgroup?
> I don't see the same thing happen to most other newsgroups in AIOE.

The retention now appears to be 60 days.

The earliest post I can retrieve (in any of several groups I've checked)
as of right now is January 23 (it is currently March 24 as I type this).

If there is a post in any newsgroup older than 60 days that you can
access on AIOE, then give the newsgroup.

webster72n

Mar 24, 2013, 11:34:24 PM3/24/13
We are getting closer to the truth.
Give me some time to check it out.
I still think it is rude.

Harry.

98 Guy

Mar 25, 2013, 9:43:39 AM3/25/13
webster72n wrote:

> > The retention now appears to be 60 days.
>
> We are getting closer to the truth.
> Give me some time to check it out.
> I still think it is rude.

In order to retain posts for a long time, the server must have a lot of
hard-drive space.

The AIOE server is operated as a hobby by someone in Italy. As such,
you can't expect it to have a long retention time.

If you need to access articles that are beyond 2 months old (and I'm
really not sure why you'd need that) then you're options are go to
google's half-broken usenet server, or pay $5 or $10 a month for an
account on a commercial usenet server (which have long retention times
of 1 or 2 years). Commercial usenet servers exist primarily to carry
binary groups (which contain posts consisting of music, movies,
software, etc). They carry text discussion groups more-or-less as a
courtesy or legacy function.

webster72n

Mar 25, 2013, 7:11:53 PM3/25/13
Your contribution here is quite helpful and definitely must be appreciated.
Thank you and stay the course, please.

webster72n

Mar 28, 2013, 9:14:09 PM3/28/13
Somehow this problem doesn't exist in other newsgroups, at least not to
my knowledge. Why is this group singled out?

98 Guy

Mar 29, 2013, 11:31:52 AM3/29/13
webster72n wrote:

> Somehow this problem doesn't exist in other newsgroups, at least not
> to my knowledge. Why is this group singled out?

There is no "problem".

Perhaps other than google, there is no usenet server that archives all
posts indefinately.

> Why is this group singled out?

You didn't answer the question the last time, so I'll ask again.

If you are able to retrieve messages on AIOE that are older than 2
months, then post the name of the newsgroup where these messages can be
found. Otherwise, you have no basis to say that this group is being
"singled out".

I will say that the only exception to the 2-month rule are the groups in
the aioe.what-ever hierarchy. That includes aioe.news.helpdesk.