Windows CE 3.0 status 53

Marten

Apr 17, 2008, 6:09:06 AM4/17/08
I Have a MultiPanel from Siemens with Windws CE 3.0 build 126 running on it.
I would like to connect to a NAS in thte network using the "net use" command.
Everytime I try I get the error message: "command failed: status 53". I tried
with and without usernames and password but it wouldn't connect.
The Panel is in the network cause I can ping other IP-numbers and I can Ping
the Panel from the network.
I did configure IP-adress, DNS and gateway.
Is this a problem in the CE version or is something wrong in the settings
elsewhere in the network?

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

Apr 17, 2008, 11:16:48 AM4/17/08
53 is 'network path not found'. Give us the format of the 'net use' command
you're trying to use. Note that \\<ip address>\<sharename> will not work in
CE. You must use \\<hostname>\<sharename>.

Paul T.

"Marten" <Mar...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Marten

Apr 18, 2008, 2:38:00 AM4/18/08
Does that mean if I use:
this won't work?

Cause we tried command "ping <ip adress>" wich was Ok but "ping SPS" did not
work.
DNS is configured but has ip-adress 10.31.xxx.xxx while the ip-adress of the
panel is 172.22.xxx.xxx. Can this be the problem?
Can it be solved with making a hosts file like in XP?

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

Apr 18, 2008, 11:26:54 AM4/18/08
Yes, that won't work. It's the <ip address> that doesn't work. Regardless
of what else is on the command line, you can't specify the server to use by
IP address.

Paul T.

"Marten" <Mar...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Marten

Apr 18, 2008, 11:48:01 AM4/18/08
But with <host name> it won't work either both the net use as the ping
command doesn't work with <host name> has that something to do with the
different IP-adresses of the Panel and gateway (172.22.xxx.xxx subnet
255.255.0.0) and the IP-adress off the DNS (10.31.xxxx.xxx)?
The host name of the NAS device is SPS and I can't ping it with the host
name or use the net use command. I can however ping it with the ip adress
(172.22.xxx.xxx).

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

Apr 18, 2008, 1:10:06 PM4/18/08
Hmmm.

I think, after stepping back to Saturn, admiring the rings for a while, then
returning to Earth, I may have figured out what's going on here. You're
trying to get at

\\<someIP>\SPS?

right? In that case, the SPS is *NOT* the device name, it's the share name,
the name of the *thing*, whatever it is, folder, printer, whatever, on teh
*device* <someIP>, that you're trying to get to. For example, when you
share a folder on your desktop PC so that someone else can access it,
C:\documents and settings\paul-t\shareme, for example, you might call that
share "shareme" and access it over the network via:

\\172.16.12.1\shareme

because the IP address of my PC is 172.16.12.1. However, my PC can also be
accessed via its name, FARSIDE, ("Here we sit without opposable thumbs!"),
via:

\\FARSIDE\shareme

This is what *I'm* trying to get at, Windows CE will not access the share
shareme via \\172.16.12.1\shareme, but it WILL access it via
\\FARSIDE\shareme, because it *understands* the name, but not the IP
address. However, that's not what you were trying to tell me.

I think that *you're* saying that you're trying to get Windows CE to use a
share that is in a location that can only be accessed via a *routable*
protocol. That is, the server is not in your subnet. Well, Windows CE is
only using NetBEUI, *NOT* a routable protocol, so, no you can't, without
doing it yourself, get to a server for file shareing located beyond the
local subnet.

Now I feel better (although you probably don't). You could do what I
describe, have a local PC on the device's subnet, that it *can* access and
have that PC act, in effect, as a gateway to remote resources. Other than
via a TCP-based protocol, however, FTP, HTTP, etc., I don't think you can
share remote file server data; the protocols and support just aren't there
in CE.

Paul T.

"Marten" <Mar...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Ritesh Nagpal

Sep 29, 2010, 9:34:23 AM9/29/10
Dear Paul,

I faced the same problem after around two years, and your response provided me the quick solution. I was trying <IP Address> instead of the <host-name> all the time.

Thanks,
Ritesh