Product Key on bottom of Laptop faded ! help

The Patient

May 17, 2008, 4:37:01 PM5/17/08
I have had a corrupted system for some reason so had to remove everything
and restart. However. The Vista Product Key on the bottom of my Laptop has
faded so a few of the letters look unrecognisable. I have tried what I
believe it to be and it doesn't work. As I have not exactly lost my Product
Key, Is there a way to get this product key from somewhere without paying for
a new one ?? I have activated it with microsoft and provided my details so
should it be registered to me somewhere ??
Help !

Carey Frisch [MVP]

May 17, 2008, 4:51:41 PM5/17/08
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246/en-gb

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

chinga69

May 17, 2008, 6:21:21 PM5/17/08

this will show you your product key

'RJL Software - Software - Utility - Windows Product Key Viewer'
(http://www.rjlsoftware.com/software/utility/winproductkey/)

sorry wont work if you have reinstalled vista

--
chinga69

CHEERS CHINGA69:D :D :D

Malke

May 17, 2008, 8:09:24 PM5/17/08
chinga69 wrote:

> this will show you your product key
>
> 'RJL Software - Software - Utility - Windows Product Key Viewer'
> (http://www.rjlsoftware.com/software/utility/winproductkey/)
>
> sorry wont work if you have reinstalled vista

Key finders like that won't help the OP. The key finder will only show the
OEM's volume license key used for their image. The correct Product Key on
an OEM machine is always the one on the COA sticker.

To the OP: With OEM machines one usually doesn't need the Product Key unless
one forgets to create restore disks or has otherwise lost the OEM
installation media. Is that your situation? In that case, the best solution
is to contact the OEM and get replacement restore disks. This usually is
quite inexpensive.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers

Brink

May 18, 2008, 12:21:14 AM5/18/08

Malke;714872 Wrote:
> chinga69 wrote:
>

> Key finders like that won't help the OP. The key finder will only show
> the
> OEM's volume license key used for their image. The correct Product Key
> on
> an OEM machine is always the one on the COA sticker.
>
> To the OP: With OEM machines one usually doesn't need the Product Key
> unless
> one forgets to create restore disks or has otherwise lost the OEM
> installation media. Is that your situation? In that case, the best
> solution
> is to contact the OEM and get replacement restore disks. This usually
> is
> quite inexpensive.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers
> 'index' (http://www.elephantboycomputers.com)
> Don't Panic!

Hi Malke,

I had a OEM product key number for a version of Vista I had before and
this program posted by Chinga69 above showed the correct product key
number, and not the same product ID number shown under System in Vista.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/85023-product-key-number.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*

Malke

May 18, 2008, 8:46:27 AM5/18/08
Brink wrote:

> I had a OEM product key number for a version of Vista I had before and
> this program posted by Chinga69 above showed the correct product key
> number, and not the same product ID number shown under System in Vista.

I'm not talking about generic OEM keys. Naturally the product key you see in
a key finder program will match the one on the COA if you use a generic
OEM.

However, unless the OP comes back with more information about the situation,
the issue is moot and the thread is dead.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers

www.elephantboycomputers.com
Don't Panic!

Guy seeking help

Dec 22, 2008, 11:09:02 AM12/22/08
I just prchased a laptop from a store. I couldnt find the product key. So I
decided to look underneath the laptop. I located all the serial numbers and
the product key. When I enter the product key I receive a message saying that
it's wrong. I made sure the letters and numbers were correct several times
but it still won't work. Can any help?
--
Guy seeking help

Brink

Dec 22, 2008, 12:15:59 PM12/22/08

Hello,

The Product Key Number should be the one with 25 numbers and letters
broken up into 5 sections. The screenshots for the examples in this
tutorial may help you locate it better to.

--
Brink

them.*

'*Windows 7 Forums*'

JW

Dec 22, 2008, 1:00:34 PM12/22/08
You can use the following utility:

http://www.rjlsoftware.com/software/utility/winproductkey/

"Guy seeking help" <marksla...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

David B.

Dec 22, 2008, 1:16:13 PM12/22/08
That product key is OEM, are you installing from an OEM installation disc?

--

----
Help Us Help You http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm

Mark H

Dec 22, 2008, 4:25:11 PM12/22/08
Doesn't matter what install disc is used. The PID determines the
installation.

The PID derived with a third party product will reveal the manufacturer's
volume PID typically tied to the BIOS. This will not be the PID on the
label.

"David B." <ma...@nomail.net> wrote in message

David B.

Dec 22, 2008, 4:38:10 PM12/22/08
You are incorrect, you can't use upgrade or retail installation media with
an OEM product key.

--

"Mark H" <jmho...@nospam.comcast.net> wrote in message

David B.

Dec 22, 2008, 4:41:36 PM12/22/08
Damnit, I'll shut up now, for some reason I thought I was in one of the XP
groups :(

--

"David B." <ma...@nomail.net> wrote in message

Richie Hardwick

Dec 22, 2008, 5:40:48 PM12/22/08
"David B." <ma...@nomail.net> wrote:

>You are incorrect, you can't use upgrade or retail installation media with
>an OEM product key.

Change "OEM" to "branded OEM" and you would be correct.

Richie Hardwick

Mark H

Dec 22, 2008, 7:16:52 PM12/22/08
:-)

"David B." <ma...@nomail.net> wrote in message

Curious

Dec 22, 2008, 7:40:31 PM12/22/08
On My HP Vista Laptop the Key finder program returns the key on the HP label
on the bottom of the unit.

David B.

Dec 23, 2008, 8:57:54 AM12/23/08
See my above post on my Monday brainfart

--

"Richie Hardwick" <richieh...@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

Richie Hardwick

Dec 23, 2008, 5:04:54 PM12/23/08
On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 08:57:54 -0500, "David B." <ma...@nomail.net>
wrote:

>See my above post on my Monday brainfart

Sorry, but I use a news reader and it doesn't see "above post".

David B.

Dec 24, 2008, 8:58:15 AM12/24/08
Really? So do I and it does.

--

"Richie Hardwick" <richieh...@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

Richie Hardwick

Dec 24, 2008, 9:23:37 AM12/24/08
On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 08:58:15 -0500, "David B." <ma...@nomail.net>
wrote:

>Really? So do I and it does.

I collect new messages quite frequently - apparently more frequently
than you do.

MarikaWaqavou

May 2, 2009, 12:50:01 AM5/2/09

"The Patient" wrote:

> Please show me my roduct key.

Manny Weisbord

May 2, 2009, 12:59:02 AM5/2/09
MarikaWaqavou <Marika...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

HUH?

What are you asking for? WHO are you asking? The person you quoted?
THAT person wrote what you replied to A YEAR AGO and then never came
back!

Father2010

Apr 29, 2010, 7:55:03 AM4/29/10

i have the same problem except i did not reinstall anything. i never put
the product key in and now that i need it, i cant read it. i dont know
what OEM is and i dont know what to do. help?

windows vista Tm activation key

The laptop was xp and we changed it to vista ultimate we've used it for
some time and now need activation. help

--
Father2010
Father2010's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/214615.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Chuck

May 7, 2010, 7:36:14 PM5/7/10
Obviously you need the correct key for your Vista Ultimate.
This is very unlikely to be the faded key label that was placed on the
bottom of the laptop by the mfr, since the laptop was sold with XP
installed. To activate, you need the correct key, not the XP key.

Andy

May 11, 2010, 1:55:43 AM5/11/10
Actualy the orginal poster is correct many lap top makers for some odd
reason put the COA on the bottom of the case usaly by the battery door or
the door you remove to install more ram.

--
AL'S COMPUTERS
"Chuck" <cdk...@msn.com> wrote in message

seetu...@gmail.com

Nov 30, 2014, 2:43:09 PM11/30/14
For any version of windows 7 or 8, Many Companies sell license to activate your operating system license. I was searching last month to activate windows 7 ultimate at my personal notebook, then I come to know, I need a product key to get license activation. I found an online Store, Now I can buy any product activation license with its label at: <a href="http://odosta.com/windows-7-product-key-sticker/">ODosta Store</a>