Gateway: Invalid Activation Key and not Genuine copy on Vista Home

karlano

Jun 11, 2008, 5:00:02 AM6/11/08
I have had my computer back from Gateway for about a month. I'm online and a
window pops up. Microsoft tells me my new(ish) Gateway computer has an
invalid activation key and shutsdown. I re-enter the activation key Microsoft
congradulates me on a successful activation and there is message in the lower
right of my desktop screen that says:

Windows Vista (TM)
Build 6001
This copy of Windows is not genuine

So did Gateway screw me? Or is there a bug that needs to be fixed? I have
found a reference to an Activation Exploit (SL07-001) and how to fix it. What
I don't know is if it's the right fix to this problem.

Colin Barnhorst

Jun 11, 2008, 5:08:35 AM6/11/08
What does Gateway say about this?

"karlano" <kar...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Rick Rogers

Jun 11, 2008, 6:21:46 AM6/11/08

Go here: http://www.microsoft.com/Genuine/ and click on "validate windows".

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Jack Sparrow

Feb 8, 2012, 10:54:37 AM2/8/12
Gateway screwed you and I have the same problem, so many have been screwed for the bottom line. They said I should return the computer and pay for shipping, it's a hardware problem they think. Well did a dskchk and all is good. They said the partition might be corrupt, this is their QC and let it out the door? Bad excuses and too many just like this, and they can still sell computers? The computer SK2803 works fine until its get an update requiring validation. Then it can't restore or get further updates. Otherwise it works fine except the annoying bottom right "windows is not genuine".