Printer Redirection Windows 2008 64Bit and HP Thin Client

Sarah Kingswell

Feb 3, 2010, 11:05:00 AM2/3/10
I cannot get one particular client to redirect their printer. I get error
1111 in the server event log about not having the correct driver available.
This used to work before migrating from Windows 2003 Terminal Server to
Windows 2008 Server 64 bit

The client is an HP T5000 Series Thin Client running Windows CE. The
printer is an HP Laserjet 2200 series. On the client i have created an RDP
printer and the selected a driver to match the printer. I know the printer
works with the selected driver because it used to print on the old Windows
2003 Terminal Server.

I have created a printer mapping file to manually map between server and
client print names and changed the registry settings according. I do not
understand why the printer will not redirect. Do I need to install 32bit
driver on the server. If I look at the server properties I only see 64bit
drivers installed. I have tried to install 32bit driver but it tells me
that I have to do this from the client?

I am confused and don't know where to go next. Any suggestions?

Many thanks

Sarah

moncho

Feb 4, 2010, 11:16:10 AM2/4/10
Installing the 32-bit driver will not work for printer redirection. I
have been through the same scenario already.

You need to map the 64bit driver name in W2K8R2 to the 32bit driver
name in the event log and it should work.

Also, make sure that the server is actually using the mapping file and
the registry keys are setup.

moncho

Sarah Kingswell

Feb 5, 2010, 5:47:36 AM2/5/10

Thanks Moncho

I did have a slight typing error in the registry. Changed that and now I
don't get the 1111 event anymore when the client logs on. However I don't
see the printer either redirected to a session on the client??

Any ideas why that might be? Does it not like the driver? Is it possible
to install an updated driver onto the Thin Client ? I couldn't see a way to
do this?

Sarah

"moncho" <mon...@NOspmanywhere.com> wrote in message

moncho

Feb 5, 2010, 8:38:51 AM2/5/10
Sarah Kingswell wrote:

> Thanks Moncho
>
> I did have a slight typing error in the registry. Changed that and now
> I don't get the 1111 event anymore when the client logs on. However I
> don't see the printer either redirected to a session on the client??

Are you sure you are allow printer redirection on the client and Server?

Also you may want to check the log to see if there are any 823 messages
that help show if redirection took place.

> Any ideas why that might be? Does it not like the driver? Is it
> possible to install an updated driver onto the Thin Client ? I couldn't
> see a way to do this?

Make sure you have the EXACT match, blank spaces and case sensitivity is
correct in your NTPrintSubs.inf file (or whatever name you gave it)

moncho

Sarah Kingswell

Feb 5, 2010, 9:04:25 AM2/5/10

Thanks Moncho

I have managed to get the printer working by remapping the HP Laserjet 2200
driver to a HP Universal Driver. It works but a little slow. I will play
around until I can find something better. Just out of interest I didn't get
any 823 events? Not sure why that is. Also logging on as Administrator but
still don't see any of ther users session printers. Ideally don't want to
install print services unless absolutely necessary due to additional
overhead on the server. Do you think I won't see them without it? I guess
I could add it and see and remove it if not

Thanks

"moncho" <mon...@NOspmanywhere.com> wrote in message

moncho

Feb 5, 2010, 10:33:27 AM2/5/10
Sarah Kingswell wrote:

> Thanks Moncho
>
> I have managed to get the printer working by remapping the HP Laserjet
> 2200 driver to a HP Universal Driver. It works but a little slow. I
> will play around until I can find something better. Just out of
> interest I didn't get any 823 events? Not sure why that is. Also
> logging on as Administrator but still don't see any of ther users
> session printers. Ideally don't want to install print services unless
> absolutely necessary due to additional overhead on the server. Do you
> think I won't see them without it? I guess I could add it and see and
> remove it if not

I had an issue with the Universal Driver also. If you disable the
printer on the thin client, see how large the print job is. It may
be way more than you thought.

Maybe the 823 messages come along with the Printer and Doc Services
Role. I looked at the processes and it looks to only use about 10mb RAM
or so for its services.

I don't know why you would not see the printers if logged in as Admin.
Someone else may need to answer that one.

moncho

Joe Massimino

Oct 20, 2010, 8:26:55 AM10/20/10
We have been using HP 5700 series Thin Clients for a couple of years. At first, printer redirection was not a problem. Then printers started to stop appearing on RDP connections. we never found a reason for printers to stop redirecting, One printer is still redirecting on the 2003 server, but the same printer does not redirect on the 2008 R2 server.
The 2008 R2 server is fantastic with RDP from a PC. It does not need drivers loaded like previous servers editions. When I connect from my Windows 7 PC, my Dymo printer, and new Hp laser jet all carry up as redirected. The The new 5740 Thin Clients will not redirect a single printer no matter what I do. I have installed a printer to the local USB port to see if it will redirect, but it does not. I have shared many kinds of printers, all of which currently redirect from all PC's, but no Thin Clients. I have one HP1505 on one 5730 Thin Client that redirects on Windows server 2003, but not when the same client connects to Windows server 2008. Any PC using RDP has no problems with any printer getting redirected on connection to any server. These clients all run Windows XP embedded.
HP support was useless and even suggested that I need PS drivers for all my printers in order for it to work. I had to tell him that that was BS and asked for documented proof that said the same. Then I insisted that he forward me to a higher level of support.
Any help on this would be appreciated. Joe

> I am confused and do not know where to go next. Any suggestions?
>
> Many thanks
>
> Sarah

>> On Thursday, February 04, 2010 11:16 AM moncho wrote:

>> Sarah Kingswell wrote:
>> Installing the 32-bit driver will not work for printer redirection. I
>> have been through the same scenario already.
>>
>> You need to map the 64bit driver name in W2K8R2 to the 32bit driver
>> name in the event log and it should work.
>>
>> Also, make sure that the server is actually using the mapping file and
>> the registry keys are setup.
>>
>> moncho

>>> On Friday, February 05, 2010 5:47 AM Sarah Kingswell wrote:

>>> Thanks Moncho
>>>
>>> I did have a slight typing error in the registry. Changed that and now I

>>> do not get the 1111 event anymore when the client logs on. However I do not

>>> see the printer either redirected to a session on the client??
>>>

>>> Any ideas why that might be? Does it not like the driver? Is it possible

>>> to install an updated driver onto the Thin Client ? I could not see a way to
>>> do this?
>>>
>>> Sarah

Joe Massimino

Oct 20, 2010, 8:40:56 AM10/20/10
We have been using HP 5700 series Thin Clients for a couple of years. At first, printer redirection was not a problem. Then printers started to stop appearing on RDP connections. we never found a reason for printers to stop redirecting, One printer is still redirecting on the 2003 server, but the same printer does not redirect on the 2008 R2 server.
The 2008 R2 server is fantastic with RDP from a PC. It does not need drivers loaded like previous servers editions. When I connect from my Windows 7 PC, my Dymo printer, and new Hp laser jet all carry up as redirected. The The new 5740 Thin Clients will not redirect a single printer no matter what I do. I have installed a printer to the local USB port to see if it will redirect, but it does not. I have shared many kinds of printers, all of which currently redirect from all PC's, but no Thin Clients. I have one HP1505 on one 5730 Thin Client that redirects on Windows server 2003, but not when the same client connects to Windows server 2008. Any PC using RDP has no problems with any printer getting redirected on connection to any server. These clients all run Windows XP embedded.
HP support was useless and even suggested that I need PS drivers for all my printers in order for it to work. I had to tell him that that was BS and asked for documented proof that said the same. Then I insisted that he forward me to a higher level of support.
Any help on this would be appreciated. Joe

> On Wednesday, February 03, 2010 11:05 AM Sarah Kingswell wrote:

> I am confused and do not know where to go next. Any suggestions?
>
> Many thanks
>
> Sarah

Joe Massimino

Oct 20, 2010, 8:42:39 AM10/20/10
We have been using HP 5700 series Thin Clients for a couple of years. At first, printer redirection was not a problem. Then printers started to stop appearing on RDP connections. we never found a reason for printers to stop redirecting, One printer is still redirecting on the 2003 server, but the same printer does not redirect on the 2008 R2 server.
The 2008 R2 server is fantastic with RDP from a PC. It does not need drivers loaded like previous servers editions. When I connect from my Windows 7 PC, my Dymo printer, and new Hp laser jet all carry up as redirected. The The new 5740 Thin Clients will not redirect a single printer no matter what I do. I have installed a printer to the local USB port to see if it will redirect, but it does not. I have shared many kinds of printers, all of which currently redirect from all PC's, but no Thin Clients. I have one HP1505 on one 5730 Thin Client that redirects on Windows server 2003, but not when the same client connects to Windows server 2008. Any PC using RDP has no problems with any printer getting redirected on connection to any server. These clients all run Windows XP embedded.
HP support was useless and even suggested that I need PS drivers for all my printers in order for it to work. I had to tell him that that was BS and asked for documented proof that said the same. Then I insisted that he forward me to a higher level of support.
Any help on this would be appreciated. Joe

> On Wednesday, February 03, 2010 11:05 AM Sarah Kingswell wrote:

> I am confused and do not know where to go next. Any suggestions?
>
> Many thanks
>
> Sarah

Joe Massimino

Oct 20, 2010, 8:44:10 AM10/20/10
We have been using HP 5700 series Thin Clients for a couple of years. At first, printer redirection was not a problem. Then printers started to stop appearing on RDP connections. we never found a reason for printers to stop redirecting, One printer is still redirecting on the 2003 server, but the same printer does not redirect on the 2008 R2 server.
The 2008 R2 server is fantastic with RDP from a PC. It does not need drivers loaded like previous servers editions. When I connect from my Windows 7 PC, my Dymo printer, and new Hp laser jet all carry up as redirected. The The new 5740 Thin Clients will not redirect a single printer no matter what I do. I have installed a printer to the local USB port to see if it will redirect, but it does not. I have shared many kinds of printers, all of which currently redirect from all PC's, but no Thin Clients. I have one HP1505 on one 5730 Thin Client that redirects on Windows server 2003, but not when the same client connects to Windows server 2008. Any PC using RDP has no problems with any printer getting redirected on connection to any server. These clients all run Windows XP embedded.
HP support was useless and even suggested that I need PS drivers for all my printers in order for it to work. I had to tell him that that was BS and asked for documented proof that said the same. Then I insisted that he forward me to a higher level of support.
Any help on this would be appreciated. Joe

> On Wednesday, February 03, 2010 11:05 AM Sarah Kingswell wrote:

> I am confused and do not know where to go next. Any suggestions?
>
> Many thanks
>
> Sarah

Joe Massimino

Oct 20, 2010, 8:47:34 AM10/20/10
The system kept asking me to login, and each time I would login it would ask me to type my question again. It posted every time. Go figure, I can't delete my own post, and that in itself, makes no sense.

ASP.NET Caching Concepts
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/78de4d09-b013-48c0-8d4a-bedd68f675f5/aspnet-caching-concepts.aspx

baobab fromager

Apr 14, 2011, 2:17:54 PM4/14/11
How did Joe Massimino get the dymo settings stick on the terminal server.
We have a dymo printer connected to win XP pro and redirected through Win 2008 Terminal server. We use the Dymo 400/400 Turbo drivers because The Easy print application is more restrictive regarding some of the settings. With both drivers the advanced page of the printer on the terminal server is grayed out.
We make these settings for example
paper format: 30256 shipping
orientation: landscape.

Once close and reconnect the RDP session, the settings are lost even when the user is a member of printer operators.
The printer settings on the client PC are fine.

We have no problem with Terminal server 2003.We can make any change we want. No grayed out properties page